DVDVR Message Board

HELL IN A CELL 2017 (10/08/17)

RIPPA

Just returned home from the show. Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere or not yet as I haven't read through the thread, but the arena was far from full. Lots of open seats on the hard camera side. I'll post some pics tomorrow/ when I wake up in the morning, but that was a big thing that stood out to me. 

I will say that the show live was pretty fun. Don't know how or came across on tv, but the crowd was quite in to everything all night long.  Seeing that fall from the cage live was a hell of a thing. 

I've always hated Sami Zayn so ugh to that finish... two weeks after being powerbombed on the apron for the 4th or 5th time. But everything before that ruled. I mark out for Shane O Mac matches every time and this was an awesome spectacle. Loved the Pop Up Powerbomb countered into triangle choke. Going in to this I thought pop up powerbomb on the roof was to be the finish since it was falls count anywhere, but then the ref wasn't up there with them. Going over 35 minutes with a huge overrun put this over an extra bit as special. Surprised there was no blood in this one. So Shane/Zayn at Mania?

Enjoyed Jinder/Nakamura, some solid near falls and the crowd was hot for it especially when the Singhs got ejected. Didn't expect the finish to be so similar to last time though. Never thought they'd put Jinder over Nakamura twice like that, but long live the Modern Day Maharaja.

Thought Charlotte/Natalya was really solid. US Title match was quite good with a lot of time. I can't stand Dillinger and wish they'd stop making Corbin look like a joke so often. Corbin's win here felt treated like a fluke after last week's SDL killed off any momentum he had. I dig Corbin's latest theme a lot. Does feel like AJ's reign was cut rather short without the US Open really getting going much at all.  Love the finish sequence in Orton/Rusev

Usos/New Day was incredible again as usual. Could watch those two trade the titles back and forth every month like they do for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Poor Nakamura. From the most exciting and unique signing in years to "look, the guy with the violin music is phoning it in again."

With that said, this was an ok show. Hard to believe this show came from the same roster I saw put on that awful show in Boise a little over a week ago. I agree with the New Day/Usos MotY contender assessment. From comedy spots to I WILL DIE SCREAMING BEFORE YOU BEAT ME! Yeah, that worked.

• Like 2

The Tag Title Match was great, Shane/KO was a spectacle and glad to see Sami doing something and I'm intrigued by where its going. Everything between those was between average and bad. The Women's Title match was fine and surprised that Nattie retained and got to beat Charlotte down. Ziggler is still the worst. Rusev/Orton was fine but the wrong result, poor poor Hoodie Rusev. US title match was an ok-ish WWE three way match with a weak ending. Nak/Jinder was one of the better Jinder matches I've seen but it still wasn't a World Title level match and Jinder is not a great pro-wrestler he telegraphs things, seems hesitant at times and all he really brings is a look.

9 hours ago, piranesi said:

Renee Young just said "There's so much depth in the Smackdown Tag Team division, so what's next" and the USOs  were like "Yeah there's so much that could happen...   ....    ......    ..... gotta go tho[whooooosh]"

Well to be fair to Renee with the amount of drop off between the Usos/New Day and the rest of the division would mean that the pool is quite deep just not large

Only watched the AJ title match and the two HIAC matches.  US title match was ok-ish.  This feud is a waste of AJ ,though.  I doubt they turn him back heel so soon, but pissed off AJ going to SDL and putting a beating on Tye for stupidly getting involved and costing AJ the title would work for me.  I was kinda surprised the finish played out like it did only because the finish was obvious the minute they started hinting jtts Tye would be added to the match.

Cell matches over-delivered.  I liked babyface Usos quite a bit, but this they really upped their game for this heel run.  KO-Shane was a fascinating car crash.  Not really interested in a heel Sami run, but they weren't doing much with him, so maybe this will keep him on tv, at least.

Shane's going to cripple himself sooner or later, isn't he.  He pulled off some wild stuff for a 45-year-old non-athlete.  I'm surprised he can still pull off the Van Terminator.  Shane knows better than to skip leg day.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

My guess re: Zayn is being fobbed off by Shane last week when he warned him about KO, and decided to teach him a lesson.....and probably Shane getting his win back by going over Sami in 5 minutes and making him look like a tool.

Shane hasn’t gone over anyone in 10 years. If we’re going with Shane/Sami my guess is it will end with a Helluva Kick

In general - I never understand running in a NFL city on a Sunday during the season

I mean I doubt many people decided to do the double header of Lions game and then WWE PPV.

I mean the NFL schedule is released in April. It's not like can't work around it.

(And obviously that isn't the only reason for low sales but it sure doesn't help)

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In general - I never understand running in a NFL city on a Sunday during the season

I mean I doubt many people decided to do the double header of Lions game and then WWE PPV.

I mean the NFL schedule is released in April. It's not like can't work around it.

(And obviously that isn't the only reason for low sales but it sure doesn't help)

I've often thought the same thing. Could it be a Vince's ego thing?

Fuck Randy Orton.

And why does Shane go by "Shane O'Mac" (or alternately, why do people refer to him that way)?  I get that when people name their pets and their kids, they then often rarely call them that ever again.  But when did the "O" come into play?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nate said:

Fuck Randy Orton.

And why does Shane go by "Shane O'Mac" (or alternately, why do people refer to him that way)?  I get that when people name their pets and their kids, they then often rarely call them that ever again.  But when did the "O" come into play?

Pretty sure he called himself that way way back when and it stuck.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Pretty sure he called himself that way way back when and it stuck.

it was his "street name" in the Mean Street Posse/build up vignettes for his first match

• Like 5