DVDVR Message Board

HELL IN A CELL 2017 (10/08/17)

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Dewar said:

He already went over Cena and Orton clean as a sheet. I would be more concerned with him getting stuck in a Kevin Owens feud.

You *don't* want him in potential ****+ matches with a former WWE Champion?   I mean, I guess he can feud with Dolph and Mojo Rawley if you really want. 

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

You *don't* want him in potential ****+ matches with a former WWE Champion?   I mean, I guess he can feud with Dolph and Mojo Rawley if you really want. 

When was the last time Owens had a four star match? Not on the new Meltzer six stars for Japan scale, but on the real scale? Maybe against Cena over a year ago. His feud with Styles left a lot to be desired.

7 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Hey, cut it out. Here on the board we advance the narrative that he isn't booked strongly.

Then he jobbed like a moron to Jinder Mahal and his goofs. Nowadays, it's not so much winning one or two big matches, it's consistently winning and not looking like a moron. He beat Cena and then lost to one of the worst WWE champions of all-time via a terrible finish. 

5 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Then he jobbed like a moron to Jinder Mahal and his goofs. Nowadays, it's not so much winning one or two big matches, it's consistently winning and not looking like a moron. He beat Cena and then lost to one of the worst WWE champions of all-time via a terrible finish. 

Hey, I"m on your team, buddy. He should never ever lose or show weakness or sell.

Nakamura has A) Been given a good record with some strong wins; B) Written to frequently act like a doofus and cut too many long promos; C) Lazed about too much regardless.

All of these can be true at once. There's more to good booking than compiling a sterling record.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dewar said:

When was the last time Owens had a four star match? Not on the new Meltzer six stars for Japan scale, but on the real scale? Maybe against Cena over a year ago. His feud with Styles left a lot to be desired.

Just via Meltzer ratings:  

vs. Styles, Summerslam and Backlash were both 3.75

MitB '17 was 4.5

(aforementioned) vs. Reigns, Rumble '17 was 4.5

Survivor Series '16 tag match was 4.5

vs. Rollins at HitC '16 was 4.

vs. Zayn at Battleground '16 was 4.5.  

And it goes on from there.  I know it's "cool" to think he's a bad wrestler because he had a "bad" title reign (which is also debatable), but don't be willfully ignorant.  KO can bring it. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Nakamura has A) Been given a good record with some strong wins; B) Written to frequently act like a doofus and cut too many long promos; C) Lazed about too much regardless.

All of these can be true at once. There's more to good booking than compiling a sterling record.

Exactly. I wasn't saying the guy should never lose or sell. He just shouldn't be made to look like an idiot by losing via Singhinterference or be involved in super long gabfests like everyone else when it's clearly not his strength.

You'd find something else to bitch about if they booked Nak exactly like your fantasy booking anyhow.

WWE does a whole lot wrong (the 20 minute talk segments are shitty for EVERYONE), so it won't kill you guys to admit when they've booked someone as strongly as they should be. Sorry you don't like Jinder, but a face losing via heel shenanigans is specifically designed to protect the face's credibility.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

You'd find something else to bitch about if they booked Nak exactly like your fantasy booking anyhow.

WWE does a whole lot wrong (the 20 minute talk segments are shitty for EVERYONE), so it won't kill you guys to admit when they've booked someone as strongly as they should be. Sorry you don't like Jinder, but a face losing via heel shenanigans is specifically designed to protect the face's credibility.

I mean... this is a pro wrestling message board, and WWE--as you say--does a lot wrong. So of course people would find things to complain about, or suggest could be improved. But I think it's also pretty clear that people are happy to celebrate when things are done well. The question is really just the difference between "strong" and "done well". That is, Nak has been booked as strongly as he should be, but not as well as he should be. Both can be true, because--I think--both are. Good writing is more nuanced than choosing winners and losers--if it weren't, WWE would be a lot more consistent in getting people the degree of over they desire. Anyway, this stuff is hard and people will react differently and enjoy different things to different degrees, and we will talk about it here because that's what this is for.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

I mean... this is a pro wrestling message board, and WWE--as you say--does a lot wrong. So of course people would find things to complain about, or suggest could be improved. But I think it's also pretty clear that people are happy to celebrate when things are done well. The question is really just the difference between "strong" and "done well". That is, Nak has been booked as strongly as he should be, but not as well as he should be. Both can be true, because--I think--both are. Good writing is more nuanced than choosing winners and losers--if it weren't, WWE would be a lot more consistent in getting people the degree of over they desire. Anyway, this stuff is hard and people will react differently and enjoy different things to different degrees, and we will talk about it here because that's what this is for.

I'm not stifling discussion in general, it's just that WWE has fucked over the fan favorites of the IWC for so long it seems to be hard-wired in some people's brains that it's all that's ever going to happen. This is clearly not the case with Nakamura. There will always be room for improvement, especially in the modern WWE environment, but that isn't what people are saying. They're saying Nakamura has been made to look "weak." The opposite of strong. J.T. started this conversation when he asserted that he finds it unlikely that Nakamura will be 1. treated like a main eventer, and 2. positioned above Randy Orton. *Both of those things have already happened.* cwoy2j then said that the real problem was that he isn't "consistently" winning. To suggest that he ISN'T consistently winning is flat out untrue. He has lost *two* matches since his debut, both through heel shenanigans. Every single thing in the WWE could be booked better, top to bottom, but that isn't the conversation we're having. The repeated assertion on this board is that Nakamura hasn't been booked strongly, and he absolutely has. It's just that for some people on this board the only acceptable booking is Undefeated Nakamura goes to WrestleMania as Champion to face AJ Styles.

4 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

I'm not stifling discussion in general, it's just that WWE has fucked over the fan favorites of the IWC for so long it seems to be hard-wired in some people's brains that it's all that's ever going to happen. This is clearly not the case with Nakamura. There will always be room for improvement, especially in the modern WWE environment, but that isn't what people are saying. They're saying Nakamura has been made to look "weak." The opposite of strong. J.T. started this conversation when he asserted that he finds it unlikely that Nakamura will be 1. treated like a main eventer, and 2. positioned above Randy Orton. *Both of those things have already happened.* cwoy2j then said that the real problem was that he isn't "consistently" winning. To suggest that he ISN'T consistently winning is flat out untrue. He has lost *two* matches since his debut, both through heel shenanigans. Every single thing in the WWE could be booked better, top to bottom, but that isn't the conversation we're having. The repeated assertion on this board is that Nakamura hasn't been booked strongly, and he absolutely has. It's just that for some people on this board the only acceptable booking is Undefeated Nakamura goes to WrestleMania as Champion to face AJ Styles.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I wasn't saying that Nak wasn't winning consistently. My point was more general that if you're trying to make someone a top guy, they should win consistently and not be put into situations that don't play to their strengths. Guys don't have to win every match or look like King Kong when they lose. Just don't book them to look like idiots when they do lose (i.e. taking your eye off the champ to deal with his two undersized goons and then losing to a shitty looking finisher) and don't make a guy who clearly doesn't speak English well engage in promo battles.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2017 at 8:51 PM, cwoy2j said:

Nowadays, it's not so much winning one or two big matches, it's consistently winning

2 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I wasn't saying that Nak wasn't winning consistently. My point was more general that if you're trying to make someone a top guy, they should win consistently

Okay, dude.

11 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Okay, dude.

Ok, I said that nowadays it isn't so much winning one or two big matches, it's winning consistently and not looking like a moron. Nakamura wins consistently. He was just made to look pretty dumb when he fought Jinder and that's not good booking. He doesn't have to be undefeated until a WM match against AJ. I'd just like it if they didn't book their faces to look like idiots most of the time. Clear enough dude?

2 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

He was just made to look pretty dumb when he fought Jinder and that's not good booking. He doesn't have to be undefeated until a WM match against AJ. I'd just like it if they didn't book their faces to look like idiots most of the time. Clear enough dude?

Sure. That's a problem with overall WWE booking, though - not Nakamura specifically being made to look weak. He wasn't made to look any weaker than Orton a couple of months ago, and nobody on this board would ever argue that WWE books Orton to look weak.

10 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Sure. That's a problem with overall WWE booking, though - not Nakamura specifically being made to look weak. He wasn't made to look any weaker than Orton a couple of months ago, and nobody on this board would ever argue that WWE books Orton to look weak.

I'd argue that they've made him look pretty stupid this past year with how his feud with Bray went and how he lost to Jinder. 

18 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I'd argue that they've made him look pretty stupid this past year with how his feud with Bray went and how he lost to Jinder. 

Fine, but you said yourself that it's all part of an overarching "WWE faces are idiots" booking strategy - one that's decades old. The spirit of these complaints are "Oh no Vince is holding one of Our Guys down again at the expense of some roid freak" when it's really just Shitty WWE Booking 101.

10 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Fine, but you said yourself that it's all part of an overarching "WWE faces are idiots" booking strategy - one that's decades old. The spirit of these complaints are "Oh no Vince is holding one of Our Guys down again at the expense of some roid freak" when it's really just Shitty WWE Booking 101.

Ok, but I wasn't saying that. We're not all one big hive mind here.

Meanwhile....

the tag title match is officially in the Cell

So the updated card at the moment is

• Shane vs. KO - HIAC
  • Jinder vs. Nakamura - WWE Title
  • Natalya vs. Charlotte - SDL Women's Title
  • Usos vs. New Day - HIAC, SDL Tag Titles
  • AJ vs. Corbin - US Title
  • Orton vs. Rusev (Meltzer teased this might be Last Man Standing)
  • Roode vs. Ziggler