DVDVR Message Board

What Happens On Smackdown Live, Stays On Smackdown Live - 9/12/2017

Dolfan in NYC

31 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

I'd pay money to see Dana Warrior kick the shit out of Ziggler.

Why do they tease us? First Miz v Bryan, now Dana Warrior v Dolph!

4 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Even this old, tired feud?

f2229770932958a94d68afbd1b280f29_crop_no

Miz doing one of those worked shoot dealies on Dolph would probably be amusing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Watching the Owens segment again, I mostly liked Adam Pearce as a wrestler, buuuutttttttt........... Is last night the fastest he's ever moved in a wrestling ring?  I think it might be, lol.

Adam Pearce used to do flying moves and had shoulder length hair, so probably not. SCRAP DADDY!

pearce1997.jpg

• Haha 1

Just for those that need to know - since its the lead story in the WON

McMahon, 72, noticeably smaller than in the past, took a head-butt from Kevin Owens, bled badly which was not only very much planned, but emphasized in the shooting of the angle. He got up, woozy, trying to feebly fight back, was decked, kicked in the ribs, superkicked and splashed off the top rope and crawled out of the ring. The angle was a set up for the Shane McMahon vs. Owens Hell in a Cell match that will be the most promoted match on the 10/8 PPV from Detroit.

McMahon, who has heavily pushed the idea that blood isn’t allowed to be shown on television, had the cameras zoomed in on his split forehead with blood gushing. Because it’s rarely done, it was more effective than in a promotion where people see blood all the time. But it does fly in the face of normal company policy regarding blading, shooting of blood and whatever family friendly content is supposed to mean. But hypocrisy and contradictions on subjects like blood and safety in pro wrestling always have, and probably always will be part of the business.

The exact mechanics of the angle are unknown but most contacted who have been in the business for decades when different ways of getting blood were part of parcel, believe the same thing I did when seeing it, that McMahon would have bladed himself before the angle and put on nu-skin to cover it up (this also seems likely from a close-up freeze frame where you could see a difference in his skin where the cut opened). Then, when Owens delivered the head-butt, it would re-open the closed wound and lead to a lot of blood, which is what happened. It was clearly not a hardway unplanned shot, although you do have to take a significant level blow to open the skin, not a knockout level blow but a shot, which is hardly smart for someone of McMahon’s age given his existing conditions. McMahon was bleeding all over the place, and the cameras shot it closely.

It’s notable the double-standard since WWE had banned blading years ago and the company’s rule of thumb if there was accidental blood was to avoid camera shots showing it as much as possible. Dave Bautista, in particular, must have been thrilled by this turn of events since he bladed in a match several years ago, was caught having done it, and was fined $100,000. Then again, Bautista’s blade job was against the boss’ orders. The boss doesn’t have those same restrictions.

It is possible this was a pure hardway shot, but I would doubt it. There is no way you can guarantee blood from a single head-butt and it was very clear the way it was shot that heavy blood was to be part of the angle since it was shot so closely. In most instances, when it comes to talent who tried to do hardway juice intentionally, unless it’s the insane smashing your own head against the post that some have done in recent years, it usually takes skilled guys with direct short hard shots above the eye multiple punches to get it, which is why it makes no sense to do it that way. Plus, the force necessary to even try a head-butt that would cut open McMahon would be hard to commit to because a head-butt hard enough to cut him would be high risk for a concussion, which isn’t good at any age, but it worse the older that you get.

I tried to edit out most of the comparing it to Shibata spot Dave had in there because reasons

• Like 3

On 9/13/2017 at 6:56 AM, Craig H said:

Regarding the headbutt and the comparisons to Shibata, yes, it was shocking, but don't forget, Shibata was also very dehydrated at the point he threw that stiff headbutt. His dehydration contributed to the brain damage he suffered.

Although I suppose you could argue that all of the Monster drinks that Vince pounds aren't exactly hydrating him.

And Shibata went in hurt. He said afterwards that he had sight problems for a while pre-surgery.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

It's a good thing they never signed Super Dragon.  I can imagine Vince being crazy enough to take a psycho driver.

WWE:  Ars Gratia Artis.

Dolph Warrior can eat a dick.

I have zero need to see Vince get busted open on a headbutt. Maybe it would help if I thought this program was going to "make" Owens, which I doubt. Even a Trips match seems shakey. Owens should be able to beat Shane and Trips as an active supposedly high level wrestler. I have zero confidence they will follow up with a serious push because they fail to do that in almost every case. I hope I am wrong as a dominant KO run would be fine by me. 

Usos/New Day with another really fun match. This feud deserves all the love it is getting. 

Poor Gable...that moment of trying to get the tag to do the finish must have felt like years. Ooof. American Alpha these guys are not.

2 minutes ago, quackhell said:

Poor Gable...that moment of trying to get the tag to do the finish must have felt like years. Ooof. American Alpha these guys are not.

I'm hoping this is all by design.  Shelton wasn't necessarily keen on this pairing during the initial segment with Daniel.  I wonder if this is them going through a process to gel as a team and it's supposed to be like this.  If this is the case then it'd be nice if this was indicated somehow either via commentary or elsewhere.  But if they're legit having these problem then this will be some painful TV for a while.

• Like 1

Credit to Vince, he's willing to take a beating physically and sometimes verbally. That was something with his age.  Steph shouldn't take a male on woman physical beating like she's done before, but someone verbally would be nice for a change.

Very good match between the Usos and the New Day. Still prefer the SummerSlam match.