DVDVR Message Board

What Happens On Smackdown Live, Stays On Smackdown Live - 9/12/2017

Dolfan in NYC

Vince is fucking awesome and stupid.  There is no way old dudes should be taking unprotected Shibata headbutts, but at least he showed that he doesn't send guys to do the things that he's not willing to do himself if the angle calls for it.

Hallmark will now need to create a hybrid Congratulations On Your New Achievement and Get Well Soon greeting card.

Regarding the headbutt and the comparisons to Shibata, yes, it was shocking, but don't forget, Shibata was also very dehydrated at the point he threw that stiff headbutt. His dehydration contributed to the brain damage he suffered.

Although I suppose you could argue that all of the Monster drinks that Vince pounds aren't exactly hydrating him.

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

You think Vince has any clue who the fuck Shibata or New Japan are? He probably came up with the damn idea.

I would think he knows something about the concussion law suits against WWE, and the dangers of head injuries in the year 2017.

I'm wondering if Vince hasn't had that conversation with Owens (up to the announcement of a match) with other wrestlers in real life.  Guessing Vince's idea of Human Resources is a bit unusual.

Really wasn't feeling the segment up until the headbutt.  Once again, Vince goes full-on cray-cray to get an angle over.  If he was five years younger, he'd probably have taken the pop-up power bomb.  

I'm interested in the match now, so i guess the segment got the job done.  Do feel like they rushed through the Shane attack-lawsuit-Vince portion of the angle.  That should have had a few weeks to play out.

Thought it was a kinda blah show overall.  AJ-Tye wasn't much of anything.  The USOs street fight delivered, but that was the only match I liked.Wonder if Jey is ok.  Think I saw his soul leave his body after that spill to the outside.

If they're going to have Carmella cash-in successfully, I'd do something different.  It kinda seems like they're going towards Natayla-Carmella title match.  Run that, have Natayla retain, then have Ellsworth interfere after the match.  Natayla takes a big bump, Ellworth gets Carmella to her feet, and she cashes in the briefcase and pins Natayla before she can recover.  Have they ever done that?  I kinda wonder why someone (prob a heel) doesn't wrangle themselves a title match, then use the briefcase as a sort of mulligan if they lose the match but see an opportunity to get the upper hand in a restart.

Really, they should use the briefcase sparingly and have most cash-ins be unsuccessful.  That would have kept the concept as a bigger deal. But that''s not the route they've gone.

48 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am amused at the rumblings going around that Vince had to be talked about of taking the Pop-Up Powerbomb

Package piledriver!  Go big or go home, brah!

I can only imagine what Owens' facial expressions would have been like after splatting the old man with a power bomb.  His "I'm shoot-fired" faces were hilarious.  As someone remarked on page 1, he did a great job cycling between psycho wanting to injure an old man and "On no.  I injured an old man who is my boss."

It's a good thing they never signed Super Dragon.  I can imagine Vince being crazy enough to take a psycho driver.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Package piledriver!  Go big or go home, brah!

I can only imagine what Owens' facial expressions would have been like after splatting the old man with a power bomb.  His "I'm shoot-fired" faces were hilarious.  As someone remarked on page 1, he did a great job cycling between psycho wanting to injure an old man and "On no.  I injured an old man who is my boss."

It's a good thing they never signed Super Dragon.  I can imagine Vince being crazy enough to take a psycho driver.

I could absolutely see Vince taking a psycho driver through a table crica 2006. 

I'm also going to be sad we were never able to get Vince vs. Necro Butcher in some kind of gimmick match.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JCM said:

I would think he knows something about the concussion law suits against WWE, and the dangers of head injuries in the year 2017.

You vastly overestimate how much Vince probably pays attention to these things until he's in danger of actually losing or dying.

I'm not advocating anyone of any age taking a shoot headbutt of any severity...

But Vince's skin is probably as thin as paper at this point in his life, and a stiff breeze could've opened him up like that. So hopefully it wasn't as stiff as it appeared to be.

41 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Considering the landing on the Package Piledriver, it's likely safer than Vince taking any actual bump. Owens would never let his head near the mat.

Yeah, I figured as much.  Given a choice, I'd take something like a piledriver from a safe, well-trained worker over a bump where neither one of us is going to be able to protect me, i.e, falling to the floor from the top rope or a double foot stomp to the chest.   I have no idea why so many wrestlers think it's a good idea to let a 250 lb. man jump off the top rope and "gently" land feet first on their sternums.

I'd make for a terrible pro wrestler.  I wouldn't want to take an arm drag.  First time I did,  I'd be like "Wow.  I could strain a muscle.  Enough of that."

On the Package Piledriver if you ever watch closely, the guy's held up in the air completely by the opponent and if they tuck their head or the person lands not full legs out, you'll be nowhere near the mat, unlike a regular piledriver or tombstone done properly.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I could absolutely see Vince taking a psycho driver through a table crica 2006. 

I'm also going to be sad we were never able to get Vince vs. Necro Butcher in some kind of gimmick match.

Vince/Necro sounds terrible on paper, but would be so bonkers it would probably work. Only drawback I can see is the stuff leading up to the match.  Vince would probably torch Necro on the mic.

For some odd reason, I've long wanted to see an Eddie Kingston-Vince McMahon feud.  Lol, I blame Fire Pro.  It's given me lots of ideas for "dream matches" probably no one else wants to see.  I've wanted to see Undertaker-Tenzan (circa 2003-ish) for a long time

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

On the Package Piledriver if you ever watch closely, the guy's held up in the air completely by the opponent and if they tuck their head or the person lands not full legs out, you'll be nowhere near the mat, unlike a regular piledriver or tombstone done properly.

Which is exactly why he went for headbutt and splash. More dangerous, pal.

• Like 1

Okay, enough with this "Shibata headbutt" nonsense. I'm not a big advocate of headbutts of any kind, but there's light-years of difference between the bump that KO gave Vince and what Shibata would do on a regular basis. The shot that KO took would likely open up someone with a good deal of scar tissue on their noggin. The blows that Shibata dealt out could very easily have killed someone. One is unnecessary and foolish, the other is just downright stupid. Shibata was one of my favorite wrestlers, but that shit was just disturbing to watch.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, peterien said:

That was cool and all but the end product has to be KO straight up murdering Shane and not the usual "Shane lost but goddamn hes a tough SOB" routine.

The jabs are gonna fly like never before now but that routine will always be the outcome. Shane's gotta have his walking tall badass babyface moment to avenge Vince, much like when Brock F5ed Vince in 2013 leading to Triple H's "The Asskicker is back!" return.

• Like 1