DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL: WEEK TWO

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Dumb question: why don't NFL broadcast from a north - south angle / madden view / all 22 angle? Why are we stuck with this left to right view point where we can't even see the wide receivers/ defensive backs battle? Always strange how no one has ever even tried it. If it's good enough for Madden, why not for tv?

I don't know if this is "the" answer, but since it has been left/right for so long due to filming limitations in the past, it may be too jolting to long time fans if they suddenly put it north/south. The technology is there now if they wanted to but I could see that leading to a lot of complaints. In the long run I think people would get used to it and it would be great, but the adjustment time and risk of annoying fans when their viewership is already decreasing is probably too big of a risk for the anti-risk NFL.

Being able to watch the receivers/defense is my biggest joy of seeing games in person. You don't really think about how much you miss watching games on TV until you are there live and can actually see plays develop.

• Like 1

I feel like moving the cameras would be something I'd love, but everyone around me would constantly complain about why the camera is like that.  Never underestimate how much people hate change, nor how little most people actually understand about football.  The game works the way it works, because we get to blame the random cornerback for getting burned even if it's not his fault the receiver scored a touchdown.  Why would they show something most of the audience wouldn't understand in the first place?

• Like 2

On 2017-09-13 at 7:13 AM, supremebve said:

Tyrod isn't great, but he's productive as hell.  Tyrod is one of those dudes who seems to understand who he is as a player and what plays he's capable of making.  He doesn't turn the ball over, he runs when he needs to, and is a better passer than people give him credit for.  He's the best Bills quarterback since Jim Kelly.

What about Flutie? 

I'm watching the lousy ass Thursday game, because why not? Nothing is on. Tirico (What? Where'd he come from?) mentions Brian Cushing being suspended 10 games for PEDs. I may be misremembering, but has this dude ever completed a full year without getting popped for something? I swear, every time I see his name he's hurt or suspended. 

22 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I don't know if this is "the" answer, but since it has been left/right for so long due to filming limitations in the past, it may be too jolting to long time fans if they suddenly put it north/south. The technology is there now if they wanted to but I could see that leading to a lot of complaints. In the long run I think people would get used to it and it would be great, but the adjustment time and risk of annoying fans when their viewership is already decreasing is probably too big of a risk for the anti-risk NFL.

Being able to watch the receivers/defense is my biggest joy of seeing games in person. You don't really think about how much you miss watching games on TV until you are there live and can actually see plays develop.

The answer is that the camera can't easily follow the action in vertical. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

In all honesty, has there EVER been a good Thursday night game? I cannot recall a single solitary one. It's like watching an NCAA ESPN 11pm crap bag game, which I've never done, as I refuse to watch college ball. 

Last weeks at least had a lot of scoring.  But yeah these Thursday night games make we wish I was going into work early