DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL: WEEK TWO

RIPPA

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

For what it's worth, it's one game against a good defense. Andy Dalton isn't an elite level QB, but he's good enough. I doubt he puts together a string of poor games together. Especially when he's surrounded by the number of weapons he has.

As for what we're going to do in 3-5 years when Brees, Brady, and Rodgers are gone - you're pretending like Dak, Carr, and other QBs at a similar level don't exist or that none will ever come along. There's a shit load of colleges and you're always going to get quality QBs coming out of there. They won't all be hits, but get some of them in the right system and they'll be fine.

Andy Dalton is not good enough.  With that said, he's in the top half of NFL starters, but I'd trust a 2-year-old with a grenade before I trusted Andy Dalton with my football team.  As soon as you start to trust that dude, he blows up in your face.  He's only as good as the players around him, and even then he's sketchy.

I like both Carr and Dak, but let's hit the brakes before we put them in the same sentence with Brees, Brady, and Rodgers.  The only two young quarterbacks I'd consider in that class are Cam Newton and Russell Wilson, and both of their teams think that offensive lines are optional.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This is about the time where Andrew Luck should be hitting elite status but I'm unsure if he will reach that now.  He could be a Matt Ryan maybe.  

Matt Ryan was great last year, but he's also surrounded by elite talent.  My issue with quarterback play is that we have 4-5 great quarterbacks who give you a chance no matter who you surround them with.  There are 4-5 dudes who can be great if surrounded by greatness.  Then there is everyone else who is somewhere between aight, and not very good.  Kirk Cousins is just another quarterback.  He isn't particularly good, not particularly bad, but he's better than what you can get on the scrap heap.  Matthew Stafford has been perfectly fine for damn near a decade, but paying him a salary that restricts the quality of the rest of the roster is detrimental to your team.  Joe Flacco had one great run, and has been below average every other season of his career.  I think Luck has been good, but he also turns the ball over more than you would like and he takes a lot of hits for someone with his injury history.  There needs to be more balance in offensive football, because we just don't have enough quarterbacks to fill out the league.

The Giants had better fucking beat Detroit this weekend and get a win.  The more they suck, the more likely my woman is to flip at me leaving the toilet seat up or something and then I'll be on the couch for the next few days.

Steelers have the Vikings next week so in the likelihood that my team catches an L since we were shit against the Browns and Minnesota slaughtered the Saints, maybe the losses will cancel each other out?

41 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Matt Ryan was great last year, but he's also surrounded by elite talent.  My issue with quarterback play is that we have 4-5 great quarterbacks who give you a chance no matter who you surround them with.  There are 4-5 dudes who can be great if surrounded by greatness.  Then there is everyone else who is somewhere between aight, and not very good.  Kirk Cousins is just another quarterback.  He isn't particularly good, not particularly bad, but he's better than what you can get on the scrap heap.  Matthew Stafford has been perfectly fine for damn near a decade, but paying him a salary that restricts the quality of the rest of the roster is detrimental to your team.  Joe Flacco had one great run, and has been below average every other season of his career.  I think Luck has been good, but he also turns the ball over more than you would like and he takes a lot of hits for someone with his injury history.  There needs to be more balance in offensive football, because we just don't have enough quarterbacks to fill out the league.

I guess the league has finally gotten its wish.  Mostly parity, very few superstars, and the star of the show is the NFL brand (tm).  Wave the flag and buy a Ford F something 50.

And as a Ravens fan, fuck Flacco.  That bland, mediocre shithead had a horrible late season collapse in 2012, was on the bubble, then heated up at the right time, and now we're stuck with him.  Dude has zero passion.  Same look on his face walking off the field after a win as he has in a loss.  I've seen drywall installers with more enthusiasm about their job.

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

And as a Ravens fan, fuck Flacco.  That bland, mediocre shithead had a horrible late season collapse in 2012, was on the bubble, then heated up at the right time, and now we're stuck with him.  Dude has zero passion.  Same look on his face walking off the field after a win as he has in a loss.  I've seen drywall installers with more enthusiasm about their job.

Reminds me of this submission for Drew Magary's 'Why Your Team Sucks' column on the Ravens

A friend of mine used to work for some entrepreneur clothier who provides high-end suits to Ravens players. Apparently Flacco said to him something along the lines of, “That’s great that you love what you do, hopefully one day I’ll find something I’m passionate about.”

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2017-baltimore-ravens-1797932196

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

David Johnson will have wrist surgery and is headed to the IR.  Timetable for his return is 2-3 months.  (IF the Cardinals are decent, otherwise, they may just shut him down for the season.)

Those of you who had the first pick in your fantasy league's draft may now begin screaming. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

David Johnson will have wrist surgery and is headed to the IR.  Timetable for his return is 2-3 months.  (IF the Cardinals are decent, otherwise, they may just shut him down for the season.)

Those of you who had the first pick in your fantasy league's draft may now begin screaming. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

13 hours ago, caley said:

Reminds me of this submission for Drew Magary's 'Why Your Team Sucks' column on the Ravens

A friend of mine used to work for some entrepreneur clothier who provides high-end suits to Ravens players. Apparently Flacco said to him something along the lines of, “That’s great that you love what you do, hopefully one day I’ll find something I’m passionate about.”

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2017-baltimore-ravens-1797932196

LOL I thought of that exact quote this weekend watching the game.  Unbelievable.

15 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I bet the Ravens would pick Tyrod over Flacco if they could, and the money would match up. . .

Tyrod isn't great, but he's productive as hell.  Tyrod is one of those dudes who seems to understand who he is as a player and what plays he's capable of making.  He doesn't turn the ball over, he runs when he needs to, and is a better passer than people give him credit for.  He's the best Bills quarterback since Jim Kelly.

Deshaun Watson's first start tomorrow! On national TV! With the worst Offensive Line I've ever seen!

Deshaun is gonna win it by pure force of will.

Texans D will wake up and eat Andy Dalton for breakfast.

really shocked that the Texans haven't signed TJ Yates yet.

I love Twitter sometimes

Edit - and even better. If you read the thread, the yahoo responded that Schwartz's play was "substandard" so clearly he didn't know the blocking assignments. That guy calls sports radio a lot

Brian Cushing busted for PEDs. Again. May honestly be an upgrade to the defense by subtraction. Cushing looked done last year. Zach Cunningham presumably moves up depth chart.

Cushing ain't even fighting it. Time to face facts: Cush was juicing in college, got busted in 2010 and busted again in 2017. He's been juicing the whole damn time.

Dumb question: why don't NFL broadcast from a north - south angle / madden view / all 22 angle? Why are we stuck with this left to right view point where we can't even see the wide receivers/ defensive backs battle? Always strange how no one has ever even tried it. If it's good enough for Madden, why not for tv?