DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 116: Rockhold vs. Branch (9/16/2017) - Pittsburgh, PA (PPG Paints Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

8 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Anyone can beat Hector Lombard this point.  The dude is a joke and the most overhyped MMA prospect of all time.

I dunno if anyone can beat him because he can easily beat the lower shelf middleweight and welterweights. It's ALOT of those dudes still kinda around who are barely at AXS TV level. But someone like Anthony Smith, he is extremely high risk, low reward for Lombard at this point in Lombard's career.

Also, Lombard hasn't been a prospect in at least ten years. He was a prospect when he was in PRIDE and in Australia.

The thought of GSP sticking around to fight Luke Rockhold if he somehow beat Bisping is a bit baffling. I don't see 190 pounds on fight night GSP doing very well against Luke Rockhold.

Rockhold vs. Romero? Weidman rematch? Whittaker when he gets healthy?

6 minutes ago, twiztor said:

rockhold/jacare rematch?

I'm still salty from their strikeforce fight.

I think Jacare needs a rebound fight.

Plus, I think Rockhold probably wants someone closer to the immediate title hunt. I think a Whittaker fight would be interesting just because Rockhold's tendency to just stand straight up as southpaw against the cage would get him in a lot of danger. You just can't just sit there and eat right hands. He's fortunate Branch isn't a really big puncher because he would have been in trouble tonight. 

Rockhold is best in the middle of the cage, and if Rockhold wants to not be hittable, he has to work with Hooft on maintaining his distance. After the Bisping rematch, fighters know they can run at him in straight lines and back him up. Those low kicks he threw tonight can be more effective but he has to keep his back off the cage. 

The size and athleticism he has can make him dominant and get him out certain situations like tonight, but he can't rely on that all the time. His strategies have to be better against the elite of the elite. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I dunno if anyone can beat him because he can easily beat the lower shelf middleweight and welterweights. It's ALOT of those dudes still kinda around who are barely at AXS TV level. But someone like Anthony Smith, he is extremely high risk, low reward for Lombard at this point in Lombard's career.

Also, Lombard hasn't been a prospect in at least ten years. He was a prospect when he was in PRIDE and in Australia.

Anthony Smith was one of those lower shelf middleweights.  You make it sound like Anthony Smith was some fringe top 15 middleweight.  He's not.  They gave him this fight to try and get him a win, and he couldn't even get that done.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Anthony Smith was one of those lower shelf middleweights.  You make it sound like Anthony Smith was some fringe top 15 middleweight.  He's not.  

You don't think Anthony Smith can beat Uriah Hall? Dude, Vitor Belfort is ranked at 11.

Anyone, I would safely say Anthony Smith is top lower than top 20. Once you get past the top 10, there is a glut of dudes who really are ranked because of past success and those who are consistently fighting other dudes in that middle tier where they just exchange spots here and there. Is Sam Alvey like this unstoppable machine? I mean Marreta is a good finisher, but he lost to Eric Spicely who might not be a top 30 middleweight.

Just like Lombard, I'm don't think you're very familiar with Anthony Smith and just saying random shit.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:53 PM, twiztor said:

Usman with a great KO, left Moraes laying with his legs in the air. scary dude!

He is a PROBLEM~!

I love Jon Anik feeling the social responsibility to pronounce Kamaru's first name properly over the mic after the ring announcer kept butchering it.

"Your winner by knock oiut.  KAM-a-ru Usman!"

"We're here with ka-MAH-ru Usman..."

I really was unimpressed with Ledet's performance.  He could've ended poor Zu at anytime after the midway point of the second round, and especially in the third when Zu was totally fucking winded and kept barreling in and begging to get rocked by counter hooks.

Ledet's bullshit was more magnified by winning by a decision on a card where 80% of the fights ended in a finish. 

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I really was unimpressed with Ledet's performance.  He could've ended poor Zu at anytime after the midway point of the second round, and especially in the third when Zu was totally fucking winded and kept barreling in and begging to get rocked by counter hooks.

Ledet's bullshit was more magnified by winning by a decision on a card where 80% of the fights ended in a finish.

Having seen all of Ledet's fights in the UFC, that's what you're going to get from Ledet unless he comes up on an opponent who is better at boxing than him. He has the Rampage post PRIDE obsession of "all I'm going to do is be a counterpuncher boxer". He is going do the bare minimum to win these fights as long as he has that one advantage. He may get a finish here or there, but as long as he has that style, I don't know if he should be on main cards consistently. Every young heavyweight who wins fights ain't a good heavyweight.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Having seen all of Ledet's fights in the UFC, that's what you're going to get from Ledet unless he comes up on an opponent who is better at boxing than him. He has the Rampage post PRIDE obsession of "all I'm going to do is be a counterpuncher boxer". He is going do the bare minimum to win these fights as long as he has that one advantage. He may get a finish here or there, but as long as he has that style, I don't know if he should be on main cards consistently. Every young heavyweight who wins fights ain't a good heavyweight.

I think I was more annoyed by the idea that Ledet seemed to be fighting in that manner in an attempt to clown Zu, rather than as show of respect to Zu's KO ability (which he obviously didn't). 

Ledet was in no peril of taking a surprise KO shot after the 1:50 mark of Round 2.  That stinging jab kept Zu at range and Zu did not have the gas tank to pull a flash finish out of his ass after that. 

He was extremely susceptible to counters once frustration and fatigue set in during Round 3.  Ledet being a boxer probably knew that, but kept on fighting for points.

Ledet's WTF glare at the judges at the announcement of the split decision was priceless.  He gave them the stink eye as if he'd been robbed in a loss.  To be fair, I'm struggling to figure out how one of those judges had the fight scored for Zu. 

I'm guessing he got a 10-9 for Round 3 as an A for Effort and maybe stole Round 1 by walking forward even though he was eating jabs the entire time..

On 9/17/2017 at 5:44 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

You don't think Anthony Smith can beat Uriah Hall? Dude, Vitor Belfort is ranked at 11.

Anyone, I would safely say Anthony Smith is top lower than top 20. Once you get past the top 10, there is a glut of dudes who really are ranked because of past success and those who are consistently fighting other dudes in that middle tier where they just exchange spots here and there. Is Sam Alvey like this unstoppable machine? I mean Marreta is a good finisher, but he lost to Eric Spicely who might not be a top 30 middleweight.

Just like Lombard, I'm don't think you're very familiar with Anthony Smith and just saying random shit.

I think anyone can beat Uriah Hall on a good night considering how often he struggles. Vitor Belfort getting ranked No. 11 is more of an indictment on the UFC rankings panel and people who set the rankings more than anything.

Regardless Hector Lombard sucks and doesn't belong in the UFC.  

Anthony Smith was a holdover from Strikeforce, where he got submitted by Roger Gracie (Who was one and done in the UFC), and also got submitted by Antonio Braga Neto right after that, and then got submitted a third straight time by Josh Neer. I won't say Smith isn't tough.  But he's  a mid-level journeyman at best.  Hector Lombard was an overhyped middleweight who has basically washed out in the UFC.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I think anyone can beat Uriah Hall on a good night considering how often he struggles.

Then you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Hall beat Mousasi fluke or not. So if anyone can beat Hall then that means Hector Lombard can do so. So if Hector doesn't belong in the UFC and Hector can beat Uriah...then Uriah don't belong in the UFC. Neither does Jotko. Two of those dudes are TOP FIFTEEN MIDDLEWEIGHTS. And it's not like it's just top 15 in the UFC. Look at the top 40 middleweights on Tapology. Josh Samman is still ranked by their calculations. JOSH SAMMAN. Josh Samman is better than dudes who are actually living.

You're talking like a top 15 middleweight is a top 15 welterweight or lightweight. You can be a JOURNEYMAN or GATEKEEPER at middleweight and still be in the top 15. TIM BOETSCH IS!

We get it, you don't like Lombard. So shut up. ENOUGH. You already contradicted yourself a dozen times including the prospect thing because Lombard wasn't a prospect when he left Bellator. Shit, he was barely anything resembling a prospect when he fought in Australia since he had already fought in PRIDE TEN GODDAMN YEARS ago. I don't know what 3rd rate MMA sites you follow on social media that said that but that wasn't right and you look even stupider saying that. 

Please AT LEAST try to make sense and keep the fighter bashing shit to a minimum especially if you're not going to make any sense.

First of all I'm not going to shut up, even if you're acting like a jerk.  Yeah, he beat Gegard Mousasi and then lost three fights in a row and got thoroughly trounced in a rematch by Mousasi.  Uriah Hall is lucky he's still in the UFC with a 6-6 record, and so is Lombard for that matter if UFC still keeps him.  I don't really give a crap if Tapology lists a dead fighter as top 40 since I don't use Tapology either.  Anthony Smith isn't some top level world beater.  And if Hector Lombard can't beat someone at Anthony Smith's level, then no, I don't think belongs in the UFC.  His UFC record is 3-7.  UFC has cut superior fighters, who had better fights, for less.  

Lombard has been given plenty of opportunities to succeed.  As far as I'm concerned, when Lombard entered into the UFC, he was a prospect.  The reason I won't shut up about him being a prospect is because Hector Lombard was middleweight champion of Bellator MMA and was crushing tomato cans for years before he went to the UFC doesn't mean he wasn't a prospect.  By the definition of prospect of when he first came into the UFC, riding a ton of hype, he was a prospect.  Maybe he was a high-level prospect, but he was still a prospect as a potential middleweight contender.  He was seen as a guy who could maybe eventually fight for the middleweight title and maybe even fight Anderson Silva.  He's been given plenty of opportunities to prove himself, but he's not at that elite level.  He couldn't do it at middleweight or welterweight.  So why do you keep Hector Lombard on the roster at this point other than to fill space?  

A guy who beat Lombard, Yushin Okami, was cut one fight later. And yeah, he belonged in the UFC more than Hector Lombard at the time considering he was a former title contender who went 3-1 and was cut after only one loss.  Meanwhile, Hector Lombard fails a drug test for steroids, and then proceeds to lose four fights in a row, including to un-ranked Anthony Smith.  So, 3-7 record, fails a drug test for steroids, and loses four in a row.  Not seeing the huge upside there.