DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Cena vs. Strowman - 9/11/2017

Dolfan in NYC

5 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

So I'm pretty much only reading recaps at this point, but based on what I'm reading, has Roman actually turned heel by this point? He certainly comes across that way in text.

In a lot of his posturing too. But it's very ambiguous. He did the heel refusal to shake Jordan's hand before the match but one could just see that as a veteran thinking Jordan is a nerd. And he did shake his hand after. But he did also took a heel powder after escaping the arm bar. And his expressions watching Cena get killed were very heelish, like diabolical laughter and such.

In some ways they're finally getting him right. Let him be a very tough, very powerful lone wolf type and let the crowd decide when they like him and when they don't.

22 minutes ago, piranesi said:

In some ways they're finally getting him right. Let him be a very tough, very powerful lone wolf type and let the crowd decide when they like him and when they don't.

Roman could be the WWE Universe Galactus. He's not necessarily bad,  he just IS.  And the BIG DOG gotta eat. 

Man, on a show with Braun Strowman MAULING Brock Lesnar and John Cena, who would have thought the most savage beatdown of the night would be the verbal beatdown Miz gave Enzo?!

I'm bored of the Cena-Reigns stuff because it's coming dangerously close to Goldberg not knowing "the script".  I mean, the crowd is mostly into it, but they seem to be getting more and more bored of it by the week, the reactions aren't nearly as big as they were the first time.

Whereas, I liked The Miz's shoot because all of it worked kayfabe-wise, as well as shooty-wise.  He was able to use stuff like the office getting Cass away from Miz in a kayfabe-way while your smartened-up fans can view it another way, as well as him getting put on 205 Live, both works in a kayfabe context, and a shoot-y context.  But most of the Cena-Reigns stuff works in a "Vince sending messages to his guys" way, but not in a straight kayfabe wrestling way.

Also, Braun Strowman is friggin phenomenal.  Every single match he does something new that make me pay attention.  In that vein, how long has he been doing the grinding forearm into the face spot on a pin?  That's totally Fit Finlay, isn't it?  Now I kinda want to see Fit Finlay come out when Strowman (should) beat Lesnar (I know he probably won't), raise Strowman's arm and have him be Fit's other son, taking over Vince McMahon's company as revenge for making Finlay come to the ring with a leprechaun, then having to pretend like it's his son.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Oh and this outside of Braun killing folks was the best part of RAW. 

Y48btPp.gif

The video itself is awesome, but I have to be skeptical. I fear seeing Asuka trading wins and losses, as everything that was great about her in nxt gets stripped away.

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Oh that will most likely happen within two months.  Sasha will beat her,  then Asuka will beat her a week later.  Then hold the title for a month and then lose it to Alexa via cheating.  Rinse and repeat. 

Then Stephanie wins it, only to lose to Rousey at Mania, after which she'll vacate it and Asuka will win a tournament and then promptly ping pong the belt with Charlotte till The SummerSlam. 

I wasn't a fan of either promo to be honest. Sure, there's some funny lines in there, but a lot of it feels really mean spirited to me. I might be being worked myself here, but it comes across as kind of bullying. I don't care for Enzo and wouldn't miss him if he disappeared tomorrow, but damn I felt sorry for the dude tonight. To me, it felt as if the company was trying to humiliate him. To what end, I have no idea, maybe just being petty (which obviously wouldn't be the first time that was a reason)

Cena and Reigns at least seems to have a goal in mind. I firmly believe Reigns is winning at No Mercy and this is just their way of knocking him down in order to light a fire under his ass, but I detest the way they always have Cena get the better of guys on the mic (including his feud with Miz recently) He gets his stuff in, but then when it's the other guy's turn, he interrupts or talks over them and then never reacts in any meaningful way, just laughs it off with a "that's the best you can do?" The series of promos with Reigns might all be scripted and I might be way off base here, but I've had the impression that Reigns is being tested. Cena gets to go off on whatever he wants, Reigns has to stand there and take it like a chump, and then try to make a comeback off of that, at which point Cena will just brush it off and no sell it whatsoever. I don't see how the company pointing out his flaws benefits him or anybody really.

Again, I might be fighting battles for guys who are in on the work themselves, so could very well be wrong.

• Like 1

I like the idea of Alexa pinning Nia at No Mercy after Emma and Sasha do a big double team move to Nia. Then as she's celebrating Asuka comes out. You then have weeks of Alexa trying to get out of her match with Asuka saying she's never beaten anyone to deserve a title shot and then you run clips of her NXT run beating Bayley, Nia, Mickie James. If the rumors are true that Asuka is one of Hunter's favorites, you could essentially have her do the same story she did in NXT. She's so dominant that she will go on an undefeated streak.

My fantasy booking for her involves her being Stephanie McMahon's cornerwoman when Steph vs. Rousey happens. Then when Rousey wins, Steph blames Asuka and now you spend most of 2018 with Steph doing everything she can to end Asuka's undefeated streak and failing to do so to the point Stephanie finally comes up with a match that break Asuka. Book a casket match and redo the finish of the 1994 Royal Rumble where every single female heel comes out and takes out Asuka (maybe add some of the NXT women since it will be more impressive if it takes like 15 women to take out Asuka). This way Asuka can finally lose, but no one thinks she lost legit because of how Stephanie stacked the deck to cartoon villain levels of evil. And you still have Asuka never getting pinned or submitting so you can use that down the line to promote an up-and-coming babyface to be the first one to actually pin Asuka.

While I appreciate the effort you put into that, an angle with Stephanie is about the last thing I want to see Asuka involved in. For the sake of the women's division, Stephanie shouldn't be involved with any of them. Let Steph and Ronda Rousey have their WM match that draws some mainstream exposure and might draw some casual interest that will die as soon as WM is over, but keep them far, far away from the F/T roster.

...or just let Steph keep dressing like Ronnie James Dio for HHH's WM entrances

• Like 1

On one hand I was kind of proud of The Miz. Enzo is this hotshot naturally gifted talker and Miz is this guy who worked his way into being good at everything and the difference showed. I'm happy at this point whenever Miz excels and that was like the naturally gifted young Tom Cruise bartender/race car driver/pool player getting schooled by the veteran who actually worked on his craft. Enzo has a quick wit and a clever turn of phrase but Miz actually knows how to cut a promo that means something.

On the other hand, aren't they teasing Miz browbeating Enzo into becoming his protege and becoming corporate Enzo?

I don't think they will bury Enzo completely. He will find some sort of redemption,  maybe he wins the CW title off Neville at some point. They will probably want Enzo on TV so they can get that merch money. I don't think he'll ever be pushed in a serious way over the long term.  He should be a manager IMO. 

I feel Enzo came around in the wrong era, he'd have been as big as anyone in 1999. Road Dogg wasn't the best wrestler and was a bit of a loose cannon but it didn't stop him being one of the biggest acts in the world at that point. I'm probably in the minority but I'm pulling for Enzo to come through this, he's far too talented to be buried into the ground and not have his redemption story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I feel Enzo came around in the wrong era, he'd have been as big as anyone in 1999. Road Dogg wasn't the best wrestler and was a bit of a loose cannon but it didn't stop him being one of the biggest acts in the world at that point. I'm probably in the minority but I'm pulling for Enzo to come through this, he's far too talented to be buried into the ground and not have his redemption story.

Road Dogg is a good comp. But if they'd split him and Billy that quickly....

5 hours ago, Rick said:

Road Dogg wasn't the best wrestler and was a bit of a loose cannon but it didn't stop him being one of the biggest acts in the world at that point.

Road Dogg could easily work circles around Enzo in 2017, without even getting into 1999.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

RIP Goldust's protege that they never actually introduced

Future Jason Jordan gimmick, maybe?  The fake son thing doesn't seem to be gaining traction.

Miz shredding Enzo on the mic was fun, but also seemed mean-spirited.  Just do the humane thing and send Enzo out to get his head booted off by someone tall.