DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Cena vs. Strowman - 9/11/2017

Dolfan in NYC

5 minutes ago, Ryan said:

They will each cost each other their matches. Braun will get angry and beat up Jason Jordan and throw him off the arena.

Hopefully they re-use this exact sequence, replace McMahon with Angle, in the same outfit, of course..

• Like 3

re: Cena/Roman I'm over all the shooty bullshit, at least when Punk was doing it came from a raw pissed off organic place or even the Cena/Rock program which was a real life feud playing out in front of the cameras, not some pre-approved exposing the business by mentioning how many ''great'' matches one has had and ticket sales, who friggin cares? isn't the goal in wrestling to ultimately win? It's all so transparent and hokey, just kick each others asses, give me some pull apart brawls not some tongue in cheek breaking the fourth wall nonsense that everyone knows is bullshit. It might entertain the vocal minority, but it's garbage to me. The line about Roman not passing a piss test definitely was eyebrow raising though. Outside of my gripes with that this was a fun show, Roman/Jordan & Braun/Cena were solid, Brock/Braun feud continues to be awesome, a Dean Malenko cameo, Miz's destruction of Enzo (which yes exposed Enzo, but was real) and a fun main event.

• Like 1

Do you think all the heels have a bet in the locker room to see who could be the first to get even a slither of good heat on Enzo Amore.   I mean unless you are running a show with only his family it seems almost impossible.   Who ever does it should be a champion for 4 - 6 months

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

re: Cena/Roman I'm over all the shooty bullshit, at least when Punk was doing it came from a raw pissed off organic place or even the Cena/Rock program which was a real life feud playing out in front of the cameras, not some pre-approved exposing the business by mentioning how many ''great'' matches one has had and ticket sales, who friggin cares?

This is my gripe with it as well.  They also don't work for me because in most cases because the person going on offense (especially Cena and Miz) are either being completely hypocritical or the actual substance of their promos is easy to pick apart or debunk.  It's just "get your shit in and make the other person look bad" as opposed to doing something compelling and competitive.

I missed the first hour and kind of half assedly watched the rest as I've been unpacking from a vacation but nothing else tonight really stood out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Two "shoot" promos on one show was stretching it.

Of course, the big news is Maryse is with child. Congrats to them. 

It concerns me that Corey Graves said he's excited for a baby Miz in a few months. Nine months isn't a few. Is he counting on Maryse having a preemie? 

* Yes, I know that's not how it was supposed to be taken.

I think it's more that people have a very liberal interpretation of what defines "few."

Anyone ever tell you they'll be over in a few hours? Cue like an eight hour wait. 

On the downside, that puts the kibosh on the act for the foreseeable future though Miz and Maryse definitely seem like they'd be down to King Maxel their kid. You can literally imagine a  Miz toddler dressed up in some ridiculous outfit to help them get heat. 

7 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

This is my gripe with it as well.  They also don't work for me because in most cases because the person going on offense (especially Cena and Miz) are either being completely hypocritical or the actual substance of their promos is easy to pick apart or debunk.  It's just "get your shit in and make the other person look bad" as opposed to doing something compelling and competitive.

THIS. This is my whole issue with their respective promos. Makes me instantly root for Roman and Enzo. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hagan said:

I think it's more that people have a very liberal interpretation of what defines "few."

Anyone ever tell you they'll be over in a few hours? Cue like an eight hour wait. 

On the downside, that puts the kibosh on the act for the foreseeable future though Miz and Maryse definitely seem like they'd be down to King Maxel their kid. You can literally imagine a  Miz toddler dressed up in some ridiculous outfit to help them get heat. 

I hope she actually is pregnant to spare us the angle where Enzo accidentally knocks her off the apron and she miscarries.

Roman bragging about how great business was and how many tickets he was selling amused me greatly when I read Meltzer's recap.  I would have liked hear more about how great business is with him on top, but I was watching the NFL game.  Maybe I can make time to catch the segment later this week.  But probably not.

Among the many problems with the Cena/Roman segment: For worked shoots to... well, work, a significant portion of the audience has to believe what's being said, so that having it voiced inside the fiction is shocking and cathartic.

Whether it was true when Triple H told Cena he just wasn't a very good wrestler, a lot of the audience believed it, and that belief fueled interest. That segment of the audience has either come around entirely on Cena as a worker, or they grudgingly admit he's stumbled in to quite a bit of good stuff somehow. Whatever fraction is left holding out most likely hates Reigns anyway, so they're not going to get behind his argument there like they did when Punk told Cena he hated the idea that Cena was the best, or Bryan said he didn't respect him as a wrestler. 

Even still, that strained credulity less than Roman trying to compare their respective drawing power. It's also a weird time to suggest Cena's a Hollywood flop, considering his name was just floated to headline Shazam.

Cena wasn't great either, but his points were at least grounded in reality, which matters when you're "shooting".