DVDVR Message Board

Supremacy: Canelo vs. Golovkin (9/16/2017) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

I gave Alvarez all of the last 3 and one of the opening ones, GGG had the middle stretch from like 5 to 9, the rest were open for debate. I think it is possible to score that as a Canelo win even though I had Golovkin. Byrd's card seems lopsided but it affects nothing, ultimately. Storm in a teacup and of the fights she's judged that I have seen I can see no pattern of dubiousness or wilful wrongness. She knows more than we do. All the more reason to have another go.

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Golovkin should have won. I had it probably 8-4 in favour of him. Gave Alvarez 2, 3, 11 and 12. Otherwise, it doesn't matter if you land the odd clean shot when someone is backing you up on the ropes and pistoning their jab into your face repeatedly.

This, exactly.  One of the things I do not like about Alvarez is his Shawn Michaels-like obsession with looking devastating rather than being devastating. Putting on a show in the early and late rounds gets you talked about on ESPN but it shouldn't win fights for you. This decision was such a flagrant gift as to be embarrassing, and to be embarrassing in boxing takes some considerable work. We're actually being generous giving him both 11 and 12, as I'm not a real big fan of rewarding "looking busy but accomplishing nothing", which is something Alvarez really excels at. Even so, give him those four rounds, how the hell do you ignore Golovkin making Alvarez his bitch-boy for eight straight rounds? 

Oh yeah, I agree with 11 and 12. They were better rounds for Alvarez, but not gimmes for him. In being charitable and working out how you can even get towards a draw let alone a win for Alvarez, I'll fall down on his side but that still gives it to GGG by four rounds.

You can fight off the back foot and outbox someone to win; Alvarez hitting the odd punch off of the ropes whilst eating shots - not hard shots necessarily, but shots none the less - as Golovkin walked through the Alvarez punches with ease is not that way.

39 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I didn't hate the draw either,  I felt GGG won though and it wasn't all that close.  I'd love to see a rematch.  good fight.  GGG walking through a couple of those shots was Terminator like.

It's funny that the shots that have stunned Golovkin or looked to have gotten his attention in the past weren't these tremendous, accurate shots. However, he has an uncanny ability to take the biggest punches and not be fazed at all. Some of those punches Canelo landed particularly in rounds 11 and round 12 would have melted 97% of all boxers between 147 and 168.

• Like 1

I feel that GGG won the fight but it was very close.  I'm glad there will be a rematch though as this fight was wonderful to watch.  Canelo can win but he would need a lot more of what he showed in the first minute of round ten.  I don't understand how anyone could have scored this 118-110 unless you were looking at power punches but even then compubox had the power punches only slightly in Canelo's favor.

If it happens on Cinco De Mayo GGG's only hope will be to knock him out with the ring stool.  Decent enough fight wouldn't be that surprised if Canelo goes and makes a deal to fight Billy Joe Saunders and waits out GGG for another year when he 36 or 37.  Canelo I dont think has the extra gear in him to do better in an immediate rematch.  The money is in a rematch but if it doesn't happen the push will be on GGG to fight Charlo and I dont know.  When GGG isn't steam rolling no hopers he has looked vunerable.  Im just left with the feeling after watching this that Bernard Hopkins would have slapped both of them silly in his prime and I am shocked that Golden Boy still has the stroke to get a ridiculous card like this in a fight

Its like people give Canelo credit for not getting blown out.  By any metric the way the judge fights now GGG won.  They give guys credit for going forward.  Canelo was stuck in reverse all night.  They give guys credit for throwing a lot of shots regardless of effectiveness.  GGG outthrew and outlanded in basically every round.  The Adelaide Byrd card makes the 117-111 scorecard Canelo got against Erislandy Lara and the 114-114 card he got versus Mayweather seem plausible.  All three scorecards were embarrassing for people that do this in Vegas in big fights on a regular basis just one was outrageous

5 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Its like people give Canelo credit for not getting blown out.  By any metric the way the judge fights now GGG won.  They give guys credit for going forward.  Canelo was stuck in reverse all night.  They give guys credit for throwing a lot of shots regardless of effectiveness.  GGG outthrew and outlanded in basically every round.  The Adelaide Byrd card makes the 117-111 scorecard Canelo got against Erislandy Lara and the 114-114 card he got versus Mayweather seem plausible.  All three scorecards were embarrassing for people that do this in Vegas in big fights on a regular basis just one was outrageous

It's funny they brought up Emanuel Steward on the broadcast when Emanuel use to talk about comparative rounds a lot. Judges give you credit when you do better than other opponents against a dominant fighter and also give you credit for rounds you did better in than previous rounds you obviously lost . In this case, Canelo got credit even in the rounds where he fought for 10-15 seconds and then spent 45 seconds letting Golovkin throw whatever he was going to throw rinse and repeat.

Golovkin did miss a lot in certain moments especially early on when Canelo was using sound head movement. But when Canelo was getting hit flush and then shaking his head multiple times, how do you believe those particular moments are "back and forth"? Yes, Canelo may have landed two good straights, a left hook, and body shot, but that's almost his entire offense in a round. If you're a judge and both people have showy (or discernible) offense, you would have to score the round for the person with the more sustained and effective offense.

• Like 2