DVDVR Message Board

Supremacy: Canelo vs. Golovkin (9/16/2017) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Capture3.PNG

Supremacy: Canelo vs. Golovkin 
September 16, 2017
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

WBA Super/WBC/IBF/Ring Magazine Middleweight Championship: Saúl Álvarez © (160) vs. Gennady Golovkin © (160) - DRAW (split)
- WBA Super (Golovkin: seventh defense)
- WBC* (Golovkin: third defense)
- IBF (Golovkin: fourth defense)
- The Ring Magazine (Álvarez: second defense)

Joseph Diaz (126) vs. Rafael Rivera (127) - Diaz, DEC (unanimous)
Randy Caballero (121) vs. Diego De La Hoya (122) - De La Hoya, DEC (unanimous)
Ryan Martin (135) vs. Francisco Rojo (135.5) - Martin, DEC (split)

Free Preview Preliminary Card:
Serhii Bohachuk (150) vs. Joan Valenzuela (150) - Bohachuk, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (1:58)
Vergil Ortiz Jr. (140) vs. Cesar Valenzuela (140) - Ortiz Jr., KO (hooks to the body), R2 (1:22)
Marlen Esparza (111.5) vs. Aracely Palacios (110) - Esparza, DEC (unanimous)

*Álvarez didn't pay sanctioning fee; Title only at stake for Golovkin

Attendance: 17,318
Gate: $27 million
Buyrate: 1.3 million

I am a little bit more interested in this fight after Golovkin's performance against Jacobs. I thought that was a mix of people really underrating Jacobs' ability because folks thought his career since the Pirog fight was smoke and mirrors for his comeback and the fact that is Golovkin getting older. 

The Sor Rungvisai-Chocolatito II fight showed that once age hits these really dominant fighters who rely on being so much better than their opponents, it hits damn hard. But Golovkin is likely the best pure boxer Canelo has fought that was actually a middleweight. Floyd gave him fits, Khan gave him fits early on, and he barely laid a glove on Lara, but that was below 160 pounds. I can see this being like Cotto-Margarito I except without the suspicion of loaded gloves in hindsight. The question is who of these two men would substitute for Cotto and Margarito in the equation?

Canelo's bread and butter is beating up puffed-up little guys. G's is a bonafide middle-weight and he's going to wreck Alvarez. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Canelo beaten into retirement (and to a nicer guy , it couldn't happen.)

37 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Golovkin hits harder, but Canelo is sharper and more accurate. One of the few fights I can't make a prediction on, but what a thrill to be getting two of the best throwing down in-or-around their primes

I can't really make a confident prediction either, but it's more because I believe there isn't a discrepancy in power that's going to be a factor. I think it's going to come down to Golovkin's ability to get close because that's what makes both fighters dangerous, but Golovkin needs to do that more to win. I think that's what determined the outcome of Ward-Kovalev II. There were spaces in the Jacobs fight where Golovkin didn't do shit and that approach baffled Golovkin a little. Is Canelo going to rely on Golovkin being lazy or is he going to create opportunities for himself? Because if either guy relies on someone taking to lead, it's going to be hard to come back and implement their own game. You can do that against a lot of other fighters at 160 or around that weight class, but against another powerful punch, that's not wise.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'll go Triple G in 8.

I'm thinking 6, and I'm thinking that Alvarez is literally beaten into retirement. G's is going to destroy him. 

• Like 1

I watched the rather pedestrian Saunders/Monroe Jr. WBO 160lbs. title fight this afternoon and the four man middleweight unification tournament from 2001 (yes, even the Keith Holmes fight) that concluded with Hopkins stopping Trinidad to become undisputed champion. I'm finally amped for this fight.

I just watched it (knew the result going in) and tried to score it as best I could even though of the two I prefer Alvarez (dunno why). I ended up with 115-113 in favour of Golovkin. But that's on a TV watch and is never perfect. What I would say is that GGG had 5 rounds for sure and Canelo had 4 and you can debate those other three and theoretically end up with a big GGG win, a draw, or a narrow Canelo win. So ultimately I don't think a draw is a total abomination - had Byrd gone Canelo by a narrower margin then I don't think we (the world who saw the fight) are having this conversation despite it changing nothing. It was a close and brilliant fight and a rematch would be awesome.

A score of 118-110 to Canelo makes it seem super lopsided but it really can just be Byrd thinking that Canelo marginally took a number of rounds rather than whupped GGG. People who've seen Canelo fight a lot know that he likes to hug the ropes and lure his man in to hit with counterpunches. Sometimes this strategy worked and sometimes it looked, especially in the middle rounds, like survival.

Byrd has judged Canelo fights before, agreeing with two other judges that he delivered a 120-108 whupping to JCC Jr and by the time of Canelo's knockout of Amir Khan, she was the one who had Canelo down a round. So I don't think she's a slam-dunk Canelo fan and think she called it as she saw it, a difficult sport with a lot of ways of interpreting superiority.

Last week she was in the majority side of a controversial split in the Benavidez/Gavril fight where she and fellow GGG-Canelo judge Dave Moretti had Benavidez up 116 or 117 to 111 where the third judge had the reverse scoreline. I didn't see anyone asking for his head on that night.

31 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

But the money you got presumably helps you get over it?

I didn't see the fight (had to work, just got out), but from what I'm gathering, this is an all-time bad scorecard?

Pretty much. If you only gave Golovkin two rounds especially how he dominated portions in the middle of fight, you might as well go full corruption and score it 120-108 Canelo.

1 hour ago, sevendaughters said:

I just watched it (knew the result going in) and tried to score it as best I could even though of the two I prefer Alvarez (dunno why). I ended up with 115-113 in favour of Golovkin. But that's on a TV watch and is never perfect. What I would say is that GGG had 5 rounds for sure and Canelo had 4 and you can debate those other three and theoretically end up with a big GGG win, a draw, or a narrow Canelo win. So ultimately I don't think a draw is a total abomination - had Byrd gone Canelo by a narrower margin then I don't think we (the world who saw the fight) are having this conversation despite it changing nothing. It was a close and brilliant fight and a rematch would be awesome.

A score of 118-110 to Canelo makes it seem super lopsided but it really can just be Byrd thinking that Canelo marginally took a number of rounds rather than whupped GGG. People who've seen Canelo fight a lot know that he likes to hug the ropes and lure his man in to hit with counterpunches. Sometimes this strategy worked and sometimes it looked, especially in the middle rounds, like survival.

Byrd has judged Canelo fights before, agreeing with two other judges that he delivered a 120-108 whupping to JCC Jr and by the time of Canelo's knockout of Amir Khan, she was the one who had Canelo down a round. So I don't think she's a slam-dunk Canelo fan and think she called it as she saw it, a difficult sport with a lot of ways of interpreting superiority.

Last week she was in the majority side of a controversial split in the Benavidez/Gavril fight where she and fellow GGG-Canelo judge Dave Moretti had Benavidez up 116 or 117 to 111 where the third judge had the reverse scoreline. I didn't see anyone asking for his head on that night.

There was a stretch from (I wanna say round 5 or 6) the middle of the fight until round 9 or 10 where Canelo spent so much time on the ropes and allowing Golovkin to land straight right hands. By this time, Canelo had outright abandoned the body shots and only spent 10 or 15 seconds of each round trying to flurry or he would land an occasional counter left hook. I don't know how in the world anyone would score that for Canelo. Golovkin started to miss when he had him on the ropes, but that was in the championship rounds when both were pretty fatigued. I'm hard pressed to believed that being at ringside would convince you those rounds were a firefight just like the 12th and final round. Canelo had his moments, but they were rare.

Lets just say it was a four round stretch and they split that 2-2. You're telling out of the other eight rounds....you gave Gennady Golovkin who landed a ton of jabs on Canelo ZERO of those EIGHT rounds. That's fucking insane.

• Like 1

Golovkin should have won. I had it probably 8-4 in favour of him. Gave Alvarez 2, 3, 11 and 12. Otherwise, it doesn't matter if you land the odd clean shot when someone is backing you up on the ropes and pistoning their jab into your face repeatedly.