DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] SEPTEMBER 6 2017 TV SHOW

Ramo2653

6 hours ago, Hagan said:

Ha, actually a big Hunter fan. Think he's an all-timer. I'm probably high end on his work on this board. One of my favorite wrestlers ever.

However, still think the NXT as wrestling high school theme is cringe when they keep veterans down their an extra year to justify their existence. I mean, I get the business side of it but the, 'well now you're ready for Raw or Smackdown' narrative for people with decades of experience is silly and weird. 

You keep saying "decades," but unless you're talking about combined experience I can't think of anyone that has 20+ years experience that has worked NXT. I'm curious what you'd prefer the narrative to be - an on-camera acknowledgment of "Our writers don't have any plans for you on the main roster, so you're stuck down here," maybe? NXT and the performance center have been justified repeatedly outside of the vets that are brought in.

• Like 1

I was using decades in the sense of people being well into their second decade of wrestling, though I'd totally be game for them to roll out like 50 year old Memphis vets to work a loop. What's Brickhouse Brown doing? We probably need Tracy Smothers in for a one-shot NXT title shot. 

Good questions about what narrative I'd prefer. I don't think it's even that I need one. NXT is great and its unquestioned success has been the development of the women's roster. I'm not quite sure its had the same track record in developing male stars with the exception that it has allowed guys like Roode and Joe to get hot again coming off the ups and downs of TNA and allowed McIntyre to re-establish himself as credible after 3MB on a WWE platform. I think it's cool that from all accounts that NXT experience is largely positive for everyone (not that anyone can really complain). 

What I find weird and a little silly is the "you've graduated NXT and are now finally ready for the main roster after we've coached you up" narrative they push for people that literally had no business being in NXT for more than a cup of coffee. 

That celebration they threw for Asuka was lovely, but it wasn't like when ECW said bye to someone or when ROH had a big thing when someone left. In that case, you had promotions that were stepping stones to hopefully bigger things. Getting signed by a national company was a big deal for guys like Eddy, Dean, Punk, Danielson etc. 

NXT throwing a celebration for people that they  arbitrarily decide are ready for the main roster and treating it like it's some achievement that the wrestler has earned is weird. It's not a merit system. 

edit: It strikes me as I'm working at my job for 13 years and I'm treated well but I never get a raise or that dream promotion I wanted. Then they hire Mike Kanellis (in this analogy, it's literally Mike Kanellis taking the teaching job I always wanted) and then I see that one day eight other teachers show up who are really tiny and fast and they're not in a better school than me but they're making better money and teaching in better classrooms. Finally, after two more years I'm finally told I'm getting promoted and I'm getting a raise and my boss says "you've finally earned it. I always knew you could do it" and they throw me a big celebration. I mean, nice gesture but wouldn't we all be outraged?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hagan said:

NXT is great and its unquestioned success has been the development of the women's roster. I'm not quite sure its had the same track record in developing male stars

This part I have to take issue with. The main roster shitting the bed so often obscures the success NXT has had with developing stars, but the amount of great wrestlers that came out of NXT is pretty long. Even if you don't count the indie guys that (IMO) improved during their time there (some of them vastly so), like Neville, Rollins, Revival, Elias, and Dillinger, there are also several examples of great guys that NXT essentially built from the ground up, like Gable, Big E, Wyatt, Rusev, and Breeze. That's not even getting into the career-saving runs from guys like Rhyno, Kidd, and Ryder.

1 minute ago, MORELOCK said:

This part I have to take issue with. The main roster shitting the bed so often obscures the success NXT has had with developing stars, but the amount of great wrestlers that came out of NXT is pretty long. Even if you don't count the indie guys that (IMO) improved during their time there (some of them vastly so), like Neville, Rollins, Revival, Elias, and Dillinger, there are also several examples of great guys that NXT essentially built from the ground up, like Gable, Big E, Wyatt, Rusev, and Breeze. That's not even getting into the career-saving runs from guys like Rhyno, Kidd, and Ryder.

Fair enough, though the latter guys you named were instrumental and developed when NXT was definitely more of a developmental than the current touring model with established names on top. And, it's getting into semantics if I start differentiating between NXT the TV show and touring company and the work guys do day in and day out in the Performance Center. I think a lot of the guys you named got better once they were on the main roster and working every night on the road but that's neither here nor there. 

Currently, for the men, the AOP are great success stories. Black should be considered one. The success of NXT is creating the presentation for guys (music, entrances, look) that can be parachuted into the main roster ready made. That said, there was still no reason for Nakamura to have to dick around there for a year and a half. 

11 minutes ago, Hagan said:

That said, there was still no reason for Nakamura to have to dick around there for a year and a half. 

Also fair, though I think his arrival is the exact point that it became more about supporting another touring brand than who isn't or isn't ready.

• Like 1

Yes, exactly. And this circles back to my original point about the Asuka celebration just being cringe and the "proud dad Hunter" deal being inherently silly. Asuka is wonderful and her NXT run was groovy but in-ring and character-wise she was ready from basically the first day. What this extended stay in NXT has done is they fell into a genuine hot storyline with her as the undefeated destroyer and her working around the loop with wrestlers like Moon and Royce benefited them. She's definitely coming in hotter than she would have a year ago, but that's nothing about what SHE has done or accomplished. She was gonna be a star from day one. 

I think it was more about making a big deal of her streak (because it won't be made a big deal of on the main roster outside of the yammering in commentary) than sending a message about her finally being ready, but YMMV. That isn't the normal dog and pony show for every callup. 

On 9/8/2017 at 1:58 PM, Cristobal said:

So, the tag division right now looks like:

• sANitY
  • AoP
  • O'Reilly & Fish (have to assume they attacked the tag champs + AOP at Takeover to be part of this division)
  • Heavy Machinery
  • Lorcan and Burch

Insert Obamanotbad pic here.

On 9/8/2017 at 3:22 PM, mattdangerously said:

You forgot the Street Profits.

They also have Sabbatelli and Moss, who they could decide to start pushing any time they want.  They looked fine last time they were on TV.

On 9/8/2017 at 9:34 PM, JonnyLaw said:

Someone else mentioned the Street Profits and Tino/Moss, but you've also got the Ealy Brothers waiting in the wings just in time for the Dusty Classic soon.

TMDK I assume should be back before too long as well...