DVDVR Message Board

[NXT] SEPTEMBER 6 2017 TV SHOW

Ramo2653

To all the naysayers, I don't think they could have handled the Asuka situation any better.  They didn't even bring up her injury to my knowledge.  They just said RAW and Smackdown want her and it is time for her to go. She came out of this so much better than if they pulled the "30 day" rule.  Now she looks like the woman who "beat" NXT.  She's undefeated, held the title longer than any champion since probably Hogan, and now she's leaving because she has nothing left to prove.

• Like 3

I know the injury prevented them from blowing off the Ember/Asuka stuff the way they should have, but I didn't care for the handshake and hug stuff between the two - Ember has every reason to be resentful that Asuka had to cheat in both matches to beat her. That isn't a mutual respect situation. It reminds me of the Sting-HHH handshake, just taking place a couple of weeks later.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

To all the naysayers, I don't think they could have handled the Asuka situation any better.  They didn't even bring up her injury to my knowledge.  They just said RAW and Smackdown want her and it is time for her to go. She came out of this so much better than if they pulled the "30 day" rule.  Now she looks like the woman who "beat" NXT.  She's undefeated, held the title longer than any champion since probably Hogan, and now she's leaving because she has nothing left to prove.

Yes Asuka having a two year undefeated streak, and leaving the territory after running through every challenger makes her look strong we know that.  The issues are the division of losers she left behind. They almost have to put the title on a MYC competitor at this point. Also this angle made Ember look like an even bigger chump which I didn't think was possible. "Yay I'm so glad the person I couldn't beat for the title is leaving as the undefeated champ." They buried the current NXT women's division so Michael Cole can spout off some stats about Asuka on Raw.

For MMA fans, there's a face people immediately recognize. It's the face of someone who is about to get crushed by Anderson Silva, Wanderlei Silva, Cyborg, etc. Before whatever Alexa vs Asuka match or Sasha vs Asuka match, I want them to have that face. They need to look scared for their life. They're in the ring with a fucking terminator who is going to kick the shit out of them and rip their arm off or choke them out. I want 15,000 fans chanting "ASUKA'S GONNA KILL YOU!"

Anything less will be a disappointment.

• Like 2

While it did kinda bother me from a standpoint that Asuka was trending heel and having Ember be super cool with her is a bit kayfabe breaky, it was a cool sendoff. Now Trips just needs to protect his surrogate daughter/joshi killing machine on the main roster. I hope she is the exception that proves the rule.

I loved how giddy Regal was while watching Lorcan/Burch pummel dudes. Not that I blame him. 

Itami/Ohno was solid and Itami's sell straddled the line of comically over the top and "MY NUTS!" just right.

• Like 1

Regal wasn't the only one giddy about Lorcan/Burch.  I just about leapt out of my couch when I saw practicing together.  I cannot wait to see them destroy fools.

The Asuka sendoff was well-done and I didn't mind Ember and Asuka hugging though I certainly why people would take issue with that.

• Like 1

-I think it's pretty clear that, from time to time--and for better or for worse--NXT is just gonna take a half-step outside of its own canon. Asuka's sendoff was one such moment, and viewed that way, I enjoyed it. Her suit was amazing too. 

-I also think the women's division will be fine in her absence, even without her losing the title. Of course we'll have to wait and see, but there's about to be a significant talent infusion to a pool that's steadily getting compelling on its own. I'm excited to see where it goes. 

-Happy to see Almas find his footing, and I enjoyed Itami/Ohno; but I still can't shake the feeling they're all just sorta... there, and I want better for them than that. Of course that's somewhat a challenge inherent to NXT; either your trajectory points towards the title, the main roster, or you seem stagnant quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cristobal said:

So, the tag division right now looks like:

• sANitY
  • AoP
  • O'Reilly & Fish (have to assume they attacked the tag champs + AOP at Takeover to be part of this division)
  • Heavy Machinery
  • Lorcan and Burch

Insert Obamanotbad pic here.

You forgot the Street Profits.

They also have Sabbatelli and Moss, who they could decide to start pushing any time they want.  They looked fine last time they were on TV.

54 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If Sombra can't even make into the  video game, that's a bad sign. 

There's no way he doesn't make it into a DLC pack.

7 hours ago, Cristobal said:

So, the tag division right now looks like:

• sANitY
  • AoP
  • O'Reilly & Fish (have to assume they attacked the tag champs + AOP at Takeover to be part of this division)
  • Heavy Machinery
  • Lorcan and Burch

Insert Obamanotbad pic here.

Someone else mentioned the Street Profits and Tino/Moss, but you've also got the Ealy Brothers waiting in the wings just in time for the Dusty Classic soon.

Itami losing like that certainly seemed like the death knell for him. Not sure where you even go next. Honestly, they should just put him on the main roster  just to get whatever value is left of him and to work with lesser experienced guys on the road. Throw him on 205. 

The Asuka thing was well-done and I know stuff like that is done in Japan but the whole "HHH as the father sending his young charges away as they graduate from wrestling school and go off in the big wide world" vibe is so fucking creepy and cult-y. Like, the talent even seems to  buy into it. 

NXT is majority like fucking grizzled vets at this point who probably would rather have the extra zeroes on their check rather than sit around and toss tires and do weird improv classes. I mean, the atmosphere is great and living in Orlando (especially with every other wrestler on the planet at this point) is probably amazing but  the whole "NXT is one big family unlike the big mean WWE" is so Orwellian. Hunter's greatest achievement has been convincing guys who have been around for decades that they actually NEED to be in developmental. 

6 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Itami losing like that certainly seemed like the death knell for him. Not sure where you even go next. Honestly, they should just put him on the main roster  just to get whatever value is left of him and to work with lesser experienced guys on the road. Throw him on 205. 

The Asuka thing was well-done and I know stuff like that is done in Japan but the whole "HHH as the father sending his young charges away as they graduate from wrestling school and go off in the big wide world" vibe is so fucking creepy and cult-y. Like, the talent even seems to  buy into it. 

NXT is majority like fucking grizzled vets at this point who probably would rather have the extra zeroes on their check rather than sit around and toss tires and do weird improv classes. I mean, the atmosphere is great and living in Orlando (especially with every other wrestler on the planet at this point) is probably amazing but  the whole "NXT is one big family unlike the big mean WWE" is so Orwellian. Hunter's greatest achievement has been convincing guys who have been around for decades that they actually NEED to be in developmental. 

Paul Heyman was like Jim Jones, getting the ECW guys to drink his kool-aid. 

For HHH? I'll go with L. Ron Hubbard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

This is some classic HHHate straight out of 2003. Who's your favorite wrestler? CM Punk?

Ha, actually a big Hunter fan. Think he's an all-timer. I'm probably high end on his work on this board. One of my favorite wrestlers ever.

However, still think the NXT as wrestling high school theme is cringe when they keep veterans down their an extra year to justify their existence. I mean, I get the business side of it but the, 'well now you're ready for Raw or Smackdown' narrative for people with decades of experience is silly and weird.