DVDVR Message Board

Jerry Estrada, Ary Romero y Rick Patterson vs. Javier Cruz, Eddy Guerrero y El Dandy (10/6/89)

Phil Schneider

• 2 months later...

This felt like a #100 contender to me.  Eddy did some cool stuff and I liked how there were times when Estrada was just smashing Dandy with mounted punches, and there was some cool comeback brawling in the third fall, but there wasn't much I liked here.  Not bad or anything, just not really good.

• 4 weeks later...

The rudos were pretty easy to hate here which is really the best thing this match has going for it. They were pretty entertaining when soaking in the crowd's hatred or engaging in any schtick. Unfortunately that didn't add up to a compelling match. I'm still not sold on Jerry Estrada. His taunting and punches in this match were among the best things I've ever seen him contribute to a match but for most of this he looked as out of it as usual and with him being one of the main focuses of this match that ended up dragging the whole thing down.

• 4 weeks later...

I already watched this once (in a less than sober moment) and dug it so let's give it another try and see what's up. 

Rick Patterson is the former Corporal Kirschner/Leatherface wearing the Mr. Pogo/Gladiator makeup. He's a stiff bastard (as anyone who read about him trying to murder someone in Japan in the first Foley book can attest to) and after Eddy lands on his head off a clothesline he gives him a little receipt with a botched looking back body drop/powerslam thing. Jerry isn't much better considering what shape he was probably in so I'd much rather be in with Ary. Segunda caida starts and this is just a total rudo beatdown. All three guys look vicious. Eddy takes the brunt of the beating and the ref just gives up the fall to the tecnicos after the three-man stomping. Now people are throwing drinks at the rudos and the schtick reaches maximum level. They really work in an FMW heel team kind of way, maybe it's Rick's makeup or the fact that they are a low-grade group of rudos with broad characters. Finally Dandy and Cruz man up and start fighting back including a huge assisted plancha... then Jerry wins abruptly and the match fizzles. Eddy was really great here and I don't know why the hate is so high for the rudos. This was perfectly acceptable and fun IMO.

• 11 months later...

I thought this match was pretty fun.  The back-and-forth between Eddy and Rick was great, with Eddy's uppercut and Rick's backdrop and clothesline.  Romero botched his first piledriver attempt at the end of the first fall, unless that was supposed to show a struggle.  But it looked like a botch to me.  I thought Estrada was a great heel ringleader, calling the shots throughout the second fall, wailing away on Cruz, and culminating with the stomp-fest on Cruz that resulted in the rudo DQ.  It was a great moment at the beginning of the third fall when Cruz, on the floor, pulls Estrada's legs out from under him and drags him to the floor.  The technicos-run-wild segment was great, especially Rick's bump over the top rope off of Eddy's dropkick.  The final exchange of punches between Estrada and Cruz was effective, but I agree that the final pinfall segment left me flat.  Still, this makes my top-half, although not super-far up.

This didn't do a lot for me, I was pretty disappointed we didn't get any cool Ary Romero heeling like in the last match. That's some outfit Jerry Estrada has on. I did really like that move where Estrada taunted Eddy & Dandy into the ring and then dropped to the mat and pulled Javier Cruz on top of him so they couldn't hit him. Didn't really care for the finish, and while I liked the enforcing of the rules, it feels kind of silly to have that 2nd fall DQ finish after some of the long stretches of rudo dominance we've seen earlier in the set that didn't result in a DQ.