DVDVR Message Board

And now for Irma

JLSigman

Here is footage from St. Maarten.  This is the Maho Beach webcam looking around and then being destroyed. 

Scared yet?   Do not fuck around.  If you're in the projected path, take appropriate actions now. 

• Sad 3

The PM of Antigua is on state TV saying that Barbuda is 90% wiped out with a death toll above 1000.  The population of the island is about 1600.

Jesus.

EDIT: They're walking back that death toll now.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Pete said:

Nothing short of Mar a Lago getting wiped off the face of the earth by Irma will pull that trick.

About that...

The baf news is it's going to beat the living shit out of the Keys and Miami on the way.

31 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

So the majority of these still have Irma coming by for a visit. So where can I take one bed-bound Mom, 4 cats, myself, and several non-negotiable electronic things? That costs little to no money? Good fucking question.

I'm not going to pretend to have a solid answer for that.  But I sure do hope you guys are bunkered down the best you can.  It's sad seeing the destruction that's already taken place.

Jet Blue has capped the cost of plane tickets out of Florida at $99

Delta.... has not...

JetBlue (JBLU) is capping its ticket prices in every city in Florida where the airline operates so people can evacuate as Hurricane Irma barrels through the Caribbean.

JetBlue will charge a maximum of $99 up to the last available seat for direct flights and a maximum of $159 up to the last available seat for connecting flights, a JetBlue representative told Yahoo Finance. That includes government taxes.

The airline has also added flights to its schedule out of select cities where they have aircraft available.

For existing reservations, JetBlue is waiving cancellation fees as well as waiving change fees and differences in air fare for rebooking.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jetblue-caps-ticket-prices-florida-99-ahead-hurricane-irma-173232462.html

• Like 3

Stay safe.  Do not fuck around with this storm.

My boo's sister and her family live near Orlando and they'll be up at our crib over the weekend while Irma does her thing.

Hurricane Jose is right on Irma's heels, but it looks like the atmospheric pressure wake will cause Jose to veer into the Atlantic and possibly not make landfall anywhere... fingers crossed...

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Stay safe.  Do not fuck around with this storm.

My boo's sister and her family live near Orlando and they'll be up at our crib over the weekend while Irma does her thing.

Hurricane Jose is right on Irma's heels, but it looks like the atmospheric pressure wake will cause Jose to veer into the Atlantic and possibly not make landfall anywhere... fingers crossed...

And now you have Katia menacing Veracruz as well. Three simultaneous hurricanes is some batshit crazy stuff.

Family is evacuating, en route to an AirBnB in Atlanta.  Miami is in a direct path now.  

I'm just hoping right now that the town I grew up in, the town I love, will still be around on Monday.   

FUCK PLEASE TURN EAST. 

This one sucks. 

My mother-in-law lives near West Palm (like 10-15 minutes from Mar-A-Lago). The Intercoastal isn't too far away from her backyard. 

However, my mother-in-law was hit by a truck while visiting us just about a year ago. Her leg was broken in about 5 places and she's had a few surgeries and the like since. She can get around fine. But she has some sort of issues with a wound that flares up/gets infected. She has to go to an outpatient center at the local hospital for an antibiotic treatment.

She's very stubborn to start with but we convinced her to evacuate to my parents' timeshare in central Florida, reminding her how a few years ago her old house was nearly destroyed in one of the big storms. She left with her dog and her neighbor.

The drive without traffic is 2.5 hours or so. The last time we talked to her, she had been in the car for 8 hours or so. They were getting close. However, the interruption to her medical treatment was making her really sick. It's not life threatening, but she's going to be dealing with nausea and the like (and wound pain) for at least a few days. 

It's really awful. Even being in the middle of the state is no safe bet since there's no real way to predict. But it's at least safer than being like 1.5 miles from the ocean.

This looks like a potential country-changing moment if it's as bad as the models are showing right now. People have been wondering when the real estate market in Florida (and more broadly on the coast) would feel the impact of climate change, when insurance companies would pull out, when infrastructure would become too expensive to maintain.

But everyone I've seen bring that up figured it would be a gradual process with a few people gambling and a few pulling out, but most holding on and prices staying steady for awhile.  But if this storm causes s much damage to as many large cities as it might, all that could be suddenly on us right now. 

Of course, I have underestimated our ability to deny climate change in the past but this looks like a storm someone would have made jokingly as a Sci Fi channel movie called "Category 8" a few years ago.

• Like 1

Don't let the weakening fool you.  THe hurricane is undergoing an eyewall replacement.  Even if the hurricane wobbles just a bit it looks like the entire width of Florida will undergo hurricane force winds.

This is not the time to be an Internet streaming hero.  The only thing you win is a Darwin Award for removing yourself from the gene pool.

I honestly cannot believe how stupid the Internet has made us.  People are online bragging about how they will ride it out or asking questions on message boards instead of contacting the proper authorities.  Have we really fallen so far that we lock up in times of crisis?

Yes, plus being Florida, it's got a bizarrely high percentage of complete idiots to normal people ratio compared to nearly every state if not every state.