DVDVR Message Board

And now for Irma

JLSigman

093751_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

This graphic shows an approximate representation of coastal areas under a hurricane warning (red), hurricane watch (pink), tropical storm warning (blue) and tropical storm watch (yellow). The orange circle indicates the current position of the center of the tropical cyclone. The black line, when selected, and dots show the National Hurricane Center (NHC) forecast track of the center at the times indicated. The dot indicating the forecast center location will be black if the cyclone is forecast to be tropical and will be white with a black outline if the cyclone is forecast to be extratropical. If only an L is displayed, then the system is forecast to be a remnant low. The letter inside the dot indicates the NHC's forecast intensity for that time: 

D: Tropical Depression – wind speed less than 39 MPH
S: Tropical Storm – wind speed between 39 MPH and 73 MPH
H: Hurricane – wind speed between 74 MPH and 110 MPH
M: Major Hurricane – wind speed greater than 110 MPH

Turns out Cindy's folks aren't actually in an evacuation zone, so hopefully they'll be able to hunker down and ride it out. That said, if they're told to evacuate they aren't going to fuck with this thing.

It is still on the same track as earlier this week.  Don't get worked up over wobbles because hurricanes do not move in straight lines.  They wobble in one direction for an hour and then switch for the next hour.  The actual tracks are like climbing stairs.  They just straighten them for maps.

The takeaway is that all of Florida is about to be slammed very, very hard.  Miami may not get the eye but they will get blasted by storm surge and rain.  The winds will extend over the width of Florida all the up into Georgia.  

The worst thing may be happening right now.  When you look at a satellite photo and see those beautiful clouds flying out around the edges it indicates strengthening.  The more clouds the stronger the intensification.

So get out.

Why?  It is fairly accurate.

I am watching TWC and they are talking about the possibility of 30 ft. tides in Miami when the hurricane lands because the wind will push the tides higher.  The wind field for this storm is the width of Florida.  There is a 90 mile margin of error 2 days out.

Expecting everyone to tell you what you want to hear is silly.  This is a major storm that will significantly affect the entire panhandle.  There is no sugarcoating this.  A forty or fifty mile change is meaningless in the big picture when you factor in tides and rain.  Everyone has known about this for possibility for a week now

Are you this dependant on your tech and social media you cannot critically think and rationalize that this is a major storm that will disrupt millions of lives potentially on the scale which we have never seen before?

• Like 1

We are supposed to get hurricane level winds Sunday night here in Orlando. No evacuations yet so i'm staying hunkered down hoping for the best. Things have gotten pretty nuts around here. Running out of gas and food, meteorologists basically saying we are going to die etc.  They say this is worse than Charly which hit Orlando directly and I didn't have power for two weeks. Not good times.

Everyone in any way affected by this and the other storms that might come, stay as safe as you can and be smart, lest the board form a Flyover State/Canada posse to come and get ya. In all seriousness, do be careful and don't do anything foolhardy unless absolutely necessary for your family's survival.

My aunt and her family are in Lakeland, and shouldn't/can't/won't evacuate:

• No forced evacuation yet (voluntary evacuation for Polk County, though);
  • Their car is a piece of shit and they have no friends around to move them anyway;
  • They say they've been through hurricanes and they're fine.

They might be right on all counts, but fuck, this is not one of those times for them to be wrong.  Thankfully, it's supposed to be "only" a Cat-2 hurricane by then..

I'll never understand anyone who thinks because they've been through one they'll be lucky and survive them all, but that's their choice unless they're told to get out.

Floridians, myself included, are weird. Having been through a Cat 5 myself, I know what they're capable of. Yet, I probably wouldn't evacuate unless it was a 4 or 5, or maybe a high 3 on a direct path.  Even my sister, who's currently evacuated to Atlanta,  wasn't scared so much as annoyed that the hurricane was strong enough that she had to take it seriously. 

Thankfully, the building codes in Florida were hyper-strengthened after Hurricane Andrew to require a building to be able to withstand a 120 mph wind.