DVDVR Message Board

And now for Irma

JLSigman

We have gutter work slated to happen on the 29th. Couldn't do earlier due to impending baby. If it goes up the coast and hits Maryland we could be seeing some real water damage to the house.

Obviously, that's currently minor relative to what Puerto Rico looks to be facing in the next couple of days though.

Most of my family is still in Miami, so I'm already hearing from my parents about bottled water shortages, etc.  As someone who made it through a category 5 hurricane, if anyone is in the projected path of this storm,  GET READY NOW.   

This is a dangerous storm and there are MANY ways it can kill you.  Be safe and get prepared.  

Irma-AL112017_5day_cone_with_line_and_wi

Yeah, this thing keeps pushing for the Gulf, and we haven't had a significant storm hit the area of the panhandle I'm close to since like 08 (I'm an hourish north of Panama City Beach and less than 2 from Destin).

None of the models has it coming this way yet, but each new model has it pushing more and more into the Gulf, and I can't see fate being so cruel as to hit Texas twice in a short span. Safe to say I'm starting to buy some supplies just in case and debating going up to Atlanta or Nashville if it seems like a certainty. 

53 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I would encourage them to pay you a visit no matter the final path

They're actually coming up at the end of the month, but Cindy has directly told them to not fuck around with this thing. If word is to evacuate, DO IT. In the meantime they've hit up BJs and Costco so they have what they need if they have to hunker down.

It's extended all the way here to SE Bama. Most stores had bottled water at least run out. Someone said they heard a story of a guy driving from Tampa to get a generator at a local Lowes.

Luckily for us (not necessarily Florida), it appears that the storm is going to hook north the second it hits the Keys, but I also read a lot of stories from scientists saying they really have no idea and the models on this one are more unpredictable than usual.

Much like with Texas for Harvey I'm worried for those on the east that may be in the path of Irma.  My wife knows somebody that's directly in the path and they're not having a pleasant time preparing for this.   He's trying to see where else he can evacuate to.  Not to get political, but if this doesn't convince dipshit-in-chief that climate change is real then we're going to be really fucked for quite a long time.

6 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Much like with Texas for Harvey I'm worried for those on the east that may be in the path of Irma.  My wife knows somebody that's directly in the path and they're not having a pleasant time preparing for this.   He's trying to see where else he can evacuate to.  Not to get political, but if this doesn't convince dipshit-in-chief that climate change is real then we're going to be really fucked for quite a long time.

I don't want to get political or debate much further past this, but this really does fall a bit on the side of hyperbole because the "frequency" argument especially in this region ignores facts.

Matthew last year was the first hurricane to hit Florida in 11 years. (last one was Wilma in 2005).

Before Harvey, Gustav in 2008 was I believe the last hurricane to affect the gulf. (If you recall, it disrupted the Republican National Convention that year).

As someone that has lived in this region my entire life, you know that peak season for hurricanes tends to be in this 3-4 week period that runs from the end of August until mid September.

Even look at the extreme of a year like 2005, you had Katrina hit in late August followed by Rita about 3 weeks later.

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I don't want to get political or debate much further past this, but this really does fall a bit on the side of hyperbole because the "frequency" argument especially in this region ignores facts.

Fair enough.  But at least more should be done to help those that are affected, especially when it's ones like Harvey and Irma.  I'll hold off on discussing this further.

And for those that are in the path hopefully it's not worse case scenario, but the images sure are scary.  Stay safe out there.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Nothing short of Mar a Lago getting wiped off the face of the earth by Irma will pull that trick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You always hate to see these island territories, nations, and what have you be the first to feel the brunt of a storm like this. They're completely defenseless.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if this reignites the make Puerto Rico a 51st state debate here in CONUS just from a relief funding standpoint. Granted, I'm ignorant to any limitations if any they currently face from a federal funding standpoint as a U.S. territory.

In terms of aid, Puerto Rico gets absolutely everything any other state in the Union or any other US citizen would, except the right to vote in Federal elections.  

They will grumble about statehood but in no way shape or form is that happening any time soon.  Two reasons:

1) PR is currently broke.  The Federal Government does not want to bail them out unless absolutely positively necessary (like a giant category 5 hurricane setting up shop off San Juan). 

2) PR is a Democratic party stronghold (About 90k Democrats voted in the '16 primary, compared to 40k Republicans).  There's no way in hell Republicans will allow 2 Democratic Senators, and 3 more Democratic votes in the Electoral College through.  (BTW, this is also why DC won't get statehood until at least '21.)

• Like 2