DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL: WEEK ONE

Dolfan in NYC

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This isn't true.

They lost to the Bills in 2011 (They were leading 24-17 going into the 4th). That was in Buffalo. (And I am pretty sure there are others).

I have seen some stories claim it was Brady was playing but he played in the aforementioned Buffalo game.

It might be HOME 4th Quarter leads.

Ah glorious reminder of the moment that Fitz looked like a great QB.

Also, here is the stat that I think got twisted by some in the media, I think its only referring to home games at Gillette Stadium for the first stat but no idea about the second stat since the two don't line up:

The Patriots had been 81-0 at Gillette Stadium when leading at the half in the regular season -- 95-1 counting the postseason -- before the Chiefs came back from a 17-14 halftime deficit. New England also was 105-2 when leading after three quarters as it entered the fourth up 27-21.

8 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Without knowing the play called (unless they talked about it after the game), there wasn't really a way to know who was supposed to cover what. Unless it was a zone though he should have stayed with him since the safety covered the slant. Gilmore ended up covering no one which usually isn't ideal. I mean what was Gilmore doing if he wasn't supposed to cover Hill.

They were in Cover 2, which means that McCourty should've been over the top of the route while Gilmore's responsibility would've been underneath(which is why he had his head turned looking at Alex Smith instead of Hill. McCourty got baited by Kelce going over the middle and blew the coverage.

13 minutes ago, APO said:

They were in Cover 2, which means that McCourty should've been over the top of the route while Gilmore's responsibility would've been underneath(which is why he had his head turned looking at Alex Smith instead of Hill. McCourty got baited by Kelce going over the middle and blew the coverage.

I understand defenses, but even if it was just vanilla Cover 2 (which I doubt, since Gilmore was 15 yards downfield and still jogging after Hill when the pass was thrown), in Cover 2 the CB is supposed to bump/get his hands on the WR at the line to give the safety time to get in position and see the play unfolding, which Gilmore didn't do. It could have also been Cover 2 Man, in which case Gilmore would still be responsible for someone. If you watch the corner on the other side, he stayed with a WR and did not release him, implying he was in Man. Really it was just the right play call at the right time, I don't actually see it as bad as some do against Gilmore, but since Gilmore continued running after Hill the entire play (although not at full speed) he was at least somewhat aware that he should have been on him, he didn't stop in the flat. If Hill had hooked, which may have been Gilmore's assumption since Smith isn't known for deep throws, he would have been in perfect position. I think it was more an issue of Gilmore guessing wrong then him getting 'torched' as is being reported, sometimes CBs take a guess on what is coming and guess wrong.

I didn't expect to watch that kind of a beatdown last night. Holy shit. KC looks scary. Alex Smith has weapons, Hunt looks legit as hell, and the only downside I can think of to that game is losing Eric Berry in game 1. That blows. Next man up and all that.

The Fins will operate out of LA next week since they play the Chargers in Week 2

Owner Stephen Ross is covering the cost of having the families of the team and staff to come with the team. Their plan is to get out of Miami tonight

The Jags announced they will stay in Houston until further notice

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I understand defenses, but even if it was just vanilla Cover 2 (which I doubt, since Gilmore was 15 yards downfield and still jogging after Hill when the pass was thrown), in Cover 2 the CB is supposed to bump/get his hands on the WR at the line to give the safety time to get in position and see the play unfolding, which Gilmore didn't do. It could have also been Cover 2 Man, in which case Gilmore would still be responsible for someone. If you watch the corner on the other side, he stayed with a WR and did not release him, implying he was in Man. Really it was just the right play call at the right time, I don't actually see it as bad as some do against Gilmore, but since Gilmore continued running after Hill the entire play (although not at full speed) he was at least somewhat aware that he should have been on him, he didn't stop in the flat. If Hill had hooked, which may have been Gilmore's assumption since Smith isn't known for deep throws, he would have been in perfect position. I think it was more an issue of Gilmore guessing wrong then him getting 'torched' as is being reported, sometimes CBs take a guess on what is coming and guess wrong.

Gilmore was running a trail tech and McCourty himself said they were in Cover 2 and that he blew the coverage.