DVDVR Message Board

Blue Demon Jr., Super Astro y Mascara Sagrada vs. El Supremo, Espectro Jr. y Blue Panther (10/6/89)

Phil Schneider

• 2 months later...

Honestly this is one of the matches on the set I've enjoyed the least so far.  There was good stuff in here but also extended sections that I thought were pretty dull.  The heart drops a little in the first fall when you see Panther get into the ring but don't see Astro get in with him but Panther really kills it with Sagrada on the mat.  Pretty much everything cool was from Panther and you can kind of see Panther using more force than usual and it seems like he's really guiding Sagrada through the segment, which is damn impressive if that's the case because it was really good.  A real showcase for Panther who might be the best pure mat worker ever.  Honestly after that I didn't like much in the match, though Astro's big comeback was cool.  Nice ending though with two dives including Astro's slingshot senton and Demon winning it with a cool roll up spot.

• 5 weeks later...

This was kind of fun but is still a match that'll rank lowish. Blue Panther and Super Astro are pretty awesome in this and when either of them are in the ring you get the kind of breathtaking lucha that reminds you why you love wrestling. The rest of the match isn't like that but it's not complete shit either. When they aren't in the ring it's more goofy fun with guys in wacky and colorful outfits making big theatrical movements. Outside of Astro and Panther this isn't very crisp and it has some weak stretches but this isn't an absolute bottom of the barrel match either.

• 3 weeks later...

Espectro Jr. has me wondering what the top ten barefoot wrestlers of all time were. Weird, I know, but it came to mind. The only people I can come up with off the top of my head are Kevin Von Erich, Jimmy Snuka, the Wild Samoans, and Antonino Rocca. Anyway that's for another thread. 

Blue Panther tries to work his magic with Sagrada but man, that's just not him and Astro. I don't know what else is. Astro/Supremo is a little better of a pairing but it's not the same. Astro clowning the rudos with his little dance doesn't make sense -- why don't they all just jump him at once right there? It got some heat from the absolutely dead crowd but them bringing the ass-beat would have even more. We get five seconds of Panther/Astro and the fall ends super weak. Segunda caida is completely listless with a horrible whiffed strike from Supremo that shows more air than Alaska. There's a bit more chaos to the third fall and we get a reiteration of the beautiful slingshot senton to the floor from Astro, but man, this was seriously lacking. 

• 11 months later...

I do have to give this match some praise for the improved video quality, but I pretty much agree with the other posts.  This match had a few cool moments, including Astro's dive over the top at the end, and Espectro kicking away at Sagrada until the ref stopped the fall and awarded it to the rudos.  But otherwise, this didn't really click for me.  Although I have to say that I have no problem with Astro's funky chicken and strut that befuddles the rudos.  That is always fun to watch, and it never makes any sense, ever.  It is what it is.  OK, I also liked Panther hitting Espectro on accident (?), but that went nowhere, unfortunately.  I wanted a BIG ANGLE.  The third fall did have some energy with the back-and-forth surges, but overall this lands a ways down in my bottom half.