DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC - EPISODE 7 (Quarters)

RIPPA

Mercedes/Abbey was a decent opener as I expected it to be. It's been great to see a vet like Mercedes, a woman who probably figured WWE was unattainble to anyone with a look like hers, get this opportunity. One of the best things about the "Revolution" has been a return to diversity in women. We're getting to see all sorts of looks and body types. 

Some good moments in the Candice/Shayna match like the suicide dive/DDT and the counter from the Wild Ride. And nice to see Shayna go full on heel now.

Piper Niven needs to be signed today. This was my favorite Toni Storm yet in the tournament. Good chemistry between these two.

Really good match between Kairi and Dakota. Definitely one of my favorites of the "main events". 

Mercedes/Abbey seemed decent enough, but I didn't get much pout of it.

Loved Candice/Bazsler. It was perfect seeing Candice go all in and Bazsler on the ropes before she hitting her finish. The chokeout continuing post match was awesome.

Piper/Toni was similar to their match in Stardom from earlier this year so I was pretty damn pleased with it. I love seeing Piper get to show more than the monster side of her.

Kairi/Kai was good. the two worked quite well together. Never saw Kai outside of her one Stardom tour before this, but she is definitely one I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

Abbey/Mercedes is one of the few matches I've lost interest in so far. Pretty poor match imo, and I have no idea why they put Martinez in the final four.

Candice/Baszler was really short, but still pretty awesome. They set up Shayna as the big heel in the tourny only to have her face another heel in the next round.

Storm's performance was too hammy for me. Piper should've went over here as she's easily the best of these two based on this tournament.

Kairi/Dakota was good as expected. I'm bummed we're not getting Kairi vs Piper in the final four as I think they've been to two best in the MYC.

2 hours ago, JCM said:

I'm bummed we're not getting Kairi vs Piper in the final four as I think they've been to two best in the MYC.

If you haven't already seen it you should check out Kairi vs. Viper from Stardom last year, really good match.

Solid matches here all around.  I was hoping to get a little more out of Baszler and Candice but it was good while it lasted as was her heeling after the match with Gargano out there etc.  

Piper/Storm was solid but I felt maybe Toni was playing it up a little too much.  Fun match.  I feel the same way about Kairi, it's taking some of the babyface women too long to taunt and then go into their next move. 

I dont know how I didn't notice this, but the Reggaeton horn in Martinez's theme give's her the tournament's best song by default. That tale of the tape screen was beyond useless. "THEY ARE SO HIGH AND ALSO USA." I know we're not putting weights on this stuff but come on, how about like reach or like how they did in those athletic competitions they didn't tape or just SOMETHING. This was not my thing. Abbey is really good when she's being overpowered, but not so much against someone her own size. Her offense stopped feeling like someone trying to survive and it lost me. Really flat finish.

Candice was one of my favorites going into this tournament, and Bazler has become one of my favorites going through this tournament, so this matchup made me super happy to see coming. Sucks that JR and Lita missed "she did her husband's finish" but otherwise this was good as hell. Bazler unleashing complete fury over the thought of Nearly Being Submitted was some more ice cold murderer bullshit, and doing it against LeRae was the right move because Instant Heel Heat. Mercedes/Bazler is going to be fuckin' dope.

This was the most I liked a Toni Storm match so far. I really hope she doesn't win this tournament.

Why does Lita roll the R in Kairi? Dakota's stuff can look really, really vicious when it needs to, both in the firmness of it and the accompanying murderface. Has Kairi regularly been doing the Pounce, and if so, why did no one tell me? This was good. They compliment each other really niceley, just in being on the same violence level. Glad Kairi fast forwarded on the elbow drop taunts.

I dug Mercedes/Abbey. Abbey feels like a potential star and seeing Mercedes go far has been one of my favorite parts of this. Love all the crazy ways for Shayna to get her submission in, great stuff in that match. Kairi's been excellent all tournament, showing why she was the favorite going in. Enjoying all of Toni Storm's matches, liked the flying leg drop finish.

I wish they had done a "battle of the last chance vets" match between Martinez and Deeb, it would have told a good story and add some heightened drama.

Prior to this series I'd never seen Shayna compete before and she hasn't really been blowing me away.  She has potential and could be a female Matt Riddle at some point, but for reasons already discussed she's been overpushed here.  The finish counter was a cool spot, but thought it came way too early in the match, especially since Candice' arm was practically under the rope.

It's a joy to watch Mercedes just do her character,  kinda like Jericho in a way.

Shayna Baszler vs. Candice LaRae; this one legit surprised me. Heel Baszler is the best.

Piper Niven vs. Toni Storm; the funnest match of the tourney, these two had great chemistry.

Piper's promos are great.  The humility is insane.  After months of watching her crush opponents as Bea's enforcer in WCPW. I cannot believe Piper's actually showing some credible babyface.

On 9/5/2017 at 8:06 PM, BL88 said:

Why does Lita roll the R in Kairi?

The Japanese R sound has this thing called an alveolar flap where you smack the area right behind your front teeth with your tongue, like you were making a "d" or a "tt" sound. She's at least attempting to do that.

• Thanks 1