DVDVR Message Board

MAE YOUNG CLASSIC - EPISODE 6 (2nd Round 2/2)

RIPPA

Man Mia Yim is just so good.   While I think Baszler is pretty good it is the Rousey connection that is why she is pushed right now.  But with more experience and learning some damn selling she will be able to stand on her own

Storm vs Lacey Evans was done more to put over Lacey as a credible 2nd round opponent I thought.   But better than it should

The idea of Candice Larae as basically "Mrs. Johnny Gargano" is kind of a laughable because I believe if you would asked people 3 or 4 years ago that Candice would be in NXT long before Johnny  

Just now, MapRef41N93W said:

I loved Kai vs. Ripley. At worst the second best match in the tournament so far (behind Sane vs. Blanchard). Those two are both fantastic.

Agreed (at least on it being second best so far, if not on what's ahead of it). Dakota's bumping is terrific, and I thought she helped Ripley along to a really good match.

I loved Storm's finish against Lacey Evans, but I was a little confused by the fact that the apparently calls it "Strong Zero", since (a) that's the name of Roppongi Vice's double-team finisher in NJPW and (b) it's not at all clear what the phrase itself means or refers to.

I googled it and apparently it's the name of a canned fruit-flavored alcoholic drink in Japan. Makes sense for RPG Vice, not so much for Toni Storm. But I guess the phrase does sound cool in nebulous sort of way.

Also, I hate her hat.

I continue to not think terribly much of Toni Storm. Lacey Evans is good in control, although that gimmick is going to be really hard to turn heel, unless she ends up as like a Cena kind of Both Reactions character. I still cant believe they cleared anyone to even tease the Jig & Tonic, let alone do it and have it called their finisher.

Bazler's a fuckin' good promo. Not like a Live Crowd Of Millions kind of promo necessarily, but "all it's going to take for me to beat her is just to exist" is something a smug murderer says. The Horsewoman-off puts fear in my heart for next wrestlemania.. Bazler going with the Mitsuya Nagai Death-By-Charley Horse school of legwork is fantastic. Bazler has a menace a lot of modern wrestlers just dont have. Yim's striking is good when it's not part of a combo, but that stuff cant help but look bad against Bazler. Good match. Please don't do a Four Horsewoman showdown. Please. Please.

Rhea Ripley is amazingly Australian. I appreciate that Dakota has a non-Coachella ready outift. I also appreciate that whenever she bumps she looks like her limbs are about to fly off like you spiked a cheap GI Joe into the ground. This was pretty rudimentary but that's probably the expereince level in play. Kai seems to be here to beat every wrestler I vaguely identify with. Also, any time someone says "Pay Window" I think about Excalibur, so thanks JR.

I was hoping Nicole Savoy would get out of this tournament without doing a single suplex and then she backdropped Candice to death. Oh well! This was alright. Savoy sure has that nickname for a reason, even if no one in North America is capable of having a halfway decent German Suplex for whatever reason. Maybe it's a trade embargo. Also yeah why are so many of these finishes "counter of a top rope move?" Anyways GO CANDICE

Lacey is too green to be in working on top, but she did have some nice signature spots in this match. Toni Storm looks like a star, and carries herself like a star, but hasn't really backed it up in the ring yet.

I thought Mia/Shayna was really good even if Mia pretty much no sold the ankle after the ankle lock. The redone commentary was probably for kissing Shayna's ass. The Horsewomen stuff is a distraction from the tournament and I'm not a fan of it.

Ripley is going to be a star sooner rather than later. I think she looked even better here than the first round. Obviously she was in there with a better opponent as I think Dakota is one of the best in the MYC, but still for a 20 year old with her level of experience this was impressive.

Candice/Savoy wasn't bad it just never really got going. Savoy wasn't very impressive even with someone who could bump for her suplexes.

Candice/Savoy was decent.

Lacey/Toni was decent enough though mostly a showcase for Lacey.

Bazsler/Yim was pretty solid

Rhea/Kai was the best match of the second round for me. So good. Can't wait to see how Rhea develops in the coming years.

Amazing finish to Shayna/Yim. Really liking Toni Storm throughout this more and more, digging her theme too. Rhea/Kai good stuff, loving Rhea so far. Glad Savoy got to show a little bit more in this round, her and Candice was pretty good as Candice continues to shine. Thought the Horsewomen stuff felt really forced with the WWE girls looking out of place being in the crowd only for that bit but the overall idea is cool if it's leading to a future match.

Toni Storm pretty much has her character down pat... actually, it might not be an act. I hope Evans tweaks her character/gear... cause it ain't going to work in the long run.

Shayna Baszler vs. Mia Yim: man, I was rooting for Yim so much but Baszler's just viscous.

Rhea Ripley vs. Dakota Kai: great match. I really really hope both are signed because they're both as ready as you can get.

Candice LaRae is fantastic at playing a human rag-doll.  Looking forward to a 100% Nicole Savoy (it's too bad she was injured because I think she would have been a great foil for Asuka).

Mia vs. Shayna was a good match. But it's proof of the problem I had with the brackets. That should have been a quarter final match with the winner going on to the finals. But aside from that, Shayna reminds me so much of Ken Shamrock right when he made the transition from MMA to wrestling. All the Ankle locks are cool, but they're being wasted in transition.

Candice LaRae is so awesome.