DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2017 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

Palicki was going to be Diana in that failed Wonder Woman show. I can't remember hearing anything about her since.

She's on the new Fox outer space show that name I am blanking on right now...

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Palicki was going to be Diana in that failed Wonder Woman show. I can't remember hearing anything about her since.

Her issue is that she's 6'0 tall when the average actor is under 5'7".  That limits the hell out of her opportunities for big movies.  Most actors don't want their love interest to tower over them.  As a 5'7" man, I'd like the lovely Ms. Paliki to know that I don't have such insecurities.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dewar said:

Did anyone here have the courage to watch "Young Sheldon" last night? I have people's with bad judgement on Facebook telling me it was hilarious. I trust people here a bit more. :)

Re: Kevin Can Wait killing off his wife, I think we need to give it a couple of more episodes to flesh out the situation. Yeah, Remini is on the show, but they haven't jumped straight into a relationship for the two of them yet. No Bas Rutten last night was sad though.

I'm proud to say I have never watched more than 30 random seconds(switching channels or what not) of BBT, mainly because I think Jim Parsons is the most annoying person on tv, so I'm afraid I can't help. . . . 

On 9/25/2017 at 5:26 PM, Mickie Zeidler said:

The "next episode" preview reminded me of...

Hide contents

A dirty dozen/suicide squad riff.  Which doesn't jibe well with the Star Trek we all know and love.

Maybe its Section 31.

10 hours ago, Dewar said:

She's on the new Fox outer space show that name I am blanking on right now...

It was mentioned on the last page. She is the 2nd in command on Orville.

She's had a fair bit of work since the WW pilot (About a Boy, Agents of Shield, etc.).  She's just never had a breakout role.  That pretty much sums up the younger members of the FNL cast.

And, yeah, being a tall woman in Hollywood is tough.  Alison Janney tells stories about the comments she got prior to being cast in the West Wing.  A casting agent once told her that, due to her height, she'd probably only be able to get work as monsters and Klingons.  I like  Palicki well enough, but I don't think she's going to overcome the height bias with a slew of Emmys like Janney did.

There were so many people from FNL that I thought would hit it big. Palicki would be #1 on that list. Jesse Plemons would be near the bottom, and yet, he would become Meth Damon and continue to do a lot of work after that. Hollywood seems to think that Taylor Kitsch should be the it guy coming out of that series, but that dude has negative charisma. Negative charisma works when you're playing Tim Riggins. Not so much for anything else.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I desperately want some kind of FNL reunion or movie.

17 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

She was the badass female assassin, Ms. Perkins, in John Wick, dude.

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

There were so many people from FNL that I thought would hit it big. Palicki would be #1 on that list. Jesse Plemons would be near the bottom, and yet, he would become Meth Damon and continue to do a lot of work after that. Hollywood seems to think that Taylor Kitsch should be the it guy coming out of that series, but that dude has negative charisma. Negative charisma works when you're playing Tim Riggins. Not so much for anything else.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I desperately want some kind of FNL reunion or movie.

I'm sad they didn't go all Law & Order and have a different team in different cities on different nights.  I honestly don't know how that show struggled for viewers in our football crazed country.  I'd think that football team shows would be as common as police or hospital shows.  It is such a blank canvas to examine a wide swath of people.  High school football teams are one of the few places where there are no economic/racial barriers.  So you can tell any story you want.

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm sad they didn't go all Law & Order and have a different team in different cities on different nights.  I honestly don't know how that show struggled for viewers in our football crazed country.  I'd think that football team shows would be as common as police or hospital shows.  It is such a blank canvas to examine a wide swath of people.  High school football teams are one of the few places where there are no economic/racial barriers.  So you can tell any story you want.

Now I can only think about the pregame speeches my old coach gave us about how Close had the doctor's kids and the lawyer's kids and the rich kids and how they look down on us. I think it would work on screen.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

She was the badass female assassin, Ms. Perkins, in John Wick, dude.

Well shit

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

LOOOOL exactly

"You can't fight on hotel grounds.  It's a death sentence."

(tries to kill John Wick on hotel grounds)

(is executed)

Oh, was that why she was offed? Here I was thinking that she left a turd hidden in the bedpost or something. Guess I should have paid more attention...

• Like 1

Amazon is going to make it very hard to stay with only one streaming service.

Amazon has set up three high-profile drama series for development, Ringworld, based on Larry Niven's classic science fiction book; Lazarus, based on the comic book by Greg Rucka (Jessica Jones); and Snow Crash, based on Neal Stephenson's cult novel. The streaming platform has been ramping up its slate with new projects as part of its programming strategy overhaul in search of big, buzzy shows.