DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2017 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

20 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I don't have anything against CBS' streaming service, but I seriously dislike watching shows on my pc/laptop.  I probably should figure out what I need to do to stream shows to my tv, but I don't watch that many shows regularly any more, so that's pretty low priority.  I'm kinda assuming their will a DVD set when the season ends.

Roku? Chromecast? Android TV? Xbox One? PS4?

Yes/Yes/Yes

I was happily surprised that the main character was a woman named Michael.  It seems like between this and THE ORVILLE, that Star Trek has been split into two disparate pieces, both with flaws, but overall mainly good.

This TV season has cemented Star Trek's pizza-ness for all time. (Even bad pizza is still pizza, and thus good)

The official rebrand of Spike TV to Paramount Network will be Thursday, January 18 at 9 PM EST

They are starting with a live episode of Lip Sync Battle that will take place in the Paramont Lot

As for original programming

Later in January, Paramount Network will premiere the landmark six-part event series, Waco, with an award-winning cast including Michael Shannon, Taylor Kitsch, John Leguizamo, and Melissa Benoist. On the heels of the 25th anniversary, the eye-opening and captivating series is based on the controversial and harrowing true story of the 1993 FBI siege of a religious sect that resulted in the deadly shoot out and fire.

The new original scripted series coming to Paramount Network in the first part of 2018 includes Yellowstone, starring world-renowned actor and Oscar winner Kevin Costner and written and directed by critically-acclaimed, Oscar-nominated screenwriter Taylor Sheridan; American Woman, from award-winning producer John Wells, a single-camera comedy set in the 1970s amid the sexual revolution and the rise of feminism starring Alicia Silverstone and Mena Suvari; and Heathers, an hour-long pitch-black comedy anthology set in the present day, based on the 1988 cult classic film of the same name.

Watched E2 of Discovery.  Yeah, I signed up for the streaming service.  I'm either going to drop it or do something to stream internet feeds to an actual tv.  No interest in watching on my laptop, long-term.

Anyway, the back half of the Discovery pilot was also pretty damn good.  Maybe better than the first hour.  Legit excited to see where they go from here.  Episode 2 didn't end with the important pieces arranged the way I thought they'd be.  I do wish we had a better idea where the show goes from here - I'm assuming next episode will start introducing us to the supporting cast

Spoiler

Didn't expect the lead Klingon to bite it.  Assume someone steps forward to continue his work and try to unite the tribes.

Did expect Michelle Yeoh's character to die, since Jason Isaacs' character is also a captain of a ship and somehow Michael ends up on a ship called the Discovery.  Assuming the ship change also explains why only Doug Jones' character got any characterization and the rest of the characters were just there.

The court martial is a bit much, given that we know Michael's Starfleet career isn't over and she'll get assigned to a new ship damn quick.  I have faith in the storytelling, but it almost requires a deus ex machina twist to get her back in Starfleet.

I'll probably catch Discovery during a trial after a few more episodes are up.

But in the Star Trek vein, Damn if The Orville isn't exceeding every single expectation I had of it within 3 episodes.

All I know is trying to get me to subscribe with constant "Young Sheldon" ads isn't going to work. 

Now, if "Young Sheldon" is a dark twisted show about a kid on the spectrum who is driven to becoming a complete monster man child via his religious mother and abusive drunk father?

With a laugh track?

Then I'm all in.

• Like 1

So remember when we talked about how Kevin Can Wait decided to kill off the Mom for... reasons??? (basically so he can fuck Leah Remini again)

Well they had the Season 2 premiere yesterday and apparently literally just are trying to pretend she never existed (or at least close to it)

Let’s say you’re a TV producer, and you have decided that — despite the fact that your show is a family sitcom — it’s time to kill off the wife character after the first season. Things were going fine, but now your leading man’s former female co-star is available, and, well, a lot of viewers would probably like to see them together again on-screen.

Between seasons, you let go the actress who plays the wife, and let fans know that starting in the second season, that character will be dead. So, when the premiere rolls around, you:

(A) Have an episode-long tribute to the character.
(B) Show the characters grieving through the first few scenes, then gently pivot to a new plotline.
(C) Time jump to a year after her death, write a couple of cursory lines about how the characters miss her and then briskly move on.

On Monday night, “Kevin Can Wait” doubled down on option C. How did Erinn Hayes’s character, Donna, die? Well, we have no idea. It was never addressed.

-----------

Then, in August, CBS confirmed that Donna would be dead — but promised to do right by the character, even in a sitcom. “I’m not sure we can make that hilarious,” CBS Entertainment President Kelly Kahl said. “It will be treated with dignity and respect, and the show will move forward. It’s something that will have taken place in the past.”

Indeed, the show opened as Kevin scrambled to get his younger kids ready for school. When he opened the mail, he found a postcard.

“It’s from your mom’s gym,” Kevin told the kids, reading the card out loud: “Haven’t seen you. We miss you.” He paused. “You know what? So do I.”

“Okay, you know what?” said Kevin’s older daughter, Kendra ( Taylor Spreitler). “Give me that. I will call them right now. It’s been over a year since she died. They shouldn’t still be sending this.”

“Thank you,” Kevin said. “Oh, but don’t throw that out. On the bottom there’s a coupon for a Kung Fu lesson. I wanna go to it.”

The next scene found Kevin at a bar with Remini’s character, Vanessa, his former partner on the police force. While the series will soon find Kevin working with Vanessa once again (and setting up some will-they-won’t-they sparks!), in this episode, Vanessa was there simply to help him get his daughter’s British boyfriend a green card.

The whole green card situation took up most of the episode, and at the end, was solved by a quick wedding. As Kevin delivered an emotional speech about his daughter getting married, he added, “We’re just missing one thing.”

“I know,” Kendra said sadly. “I wish Mom was here, too.”

“She’d be very proud of you,” Kevin said. There was a long pause, and he continued: “Well, time’s ticking! Let’s get you married, all right?”

… and that was Hayes’s goodbye. Granted, the show isn’t an in-depth drama, and Hayes was on for only one season. Still, that’s 24 episodes, and plenty of time for viewers to get attached.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/09/25/kevin-can-wait-premiere-the-decision-to-kill-off-erinn-hayes-becomes-even-weirder/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.5eacd1ff1fad

Did anyone here have the courage to watch "Young Sheldon" last night? I have people's with bad judgement on Facebook telling me it was hilarious. I trust people here a bit more. :)

Re: Kevin Can Wait killing off his wife, I think we need to give it a couple of more episodes to flesh out the situation. Yeah, Remini is on the show, but they haven't jumped straight into a relationship for the two of them yet. No Bas Rutten last night was sad though.

You've got Michael Shannon right there and you DON'T have him play Koresh? That is just about as crazy as turning Spike TV into a premium content network. Wait...

I will say though, Taylor Kitsch (whoever that is) certainly looks the part

EDIT: *goes to iMDB* Oh, he played one of the guys on the True Detective misfire that I only got to see half of. I probably didn't want to remember him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

He has been a bunch of regrettable summer movies but he is probably most known for being in Friday Night Lights (the TV Show version)

I would have swore that entire cast was going to be the next generation of Hollywood superstardom.  Michael B. Jordan is the only one who is even close.  

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am totally going to watch Waco.  I was literally eating a sandwich and chillin with some friends when that shit went down on live television.

Eerie.

We were in the newsroom at the IU paper. We only had one TV in the conference room and we all piled in there to watch the fire.

4 hours ago, Dewar said:

Did anyone here have the courage to watch "Young Sheldon" last night? I have people's with bad judgement on Facebook telling me it was hilarious. I trust people here a bit more. :)

Re: Kevin Can Wait killing off his wife, I think we need to give it a couple of more episodes to flesh out the situation. Yeah, Remini is on the show, but they haven't jumped straight into a relationship for the two of them yet. No Bas Rutten last night was sad though.

I watched it because the people I was with watched it. His sister was kinda funny. The rest sucked.

Of course, I hate BBT with a fiery passion so I'm clearly not the target audience.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I remember when Minka Kelly was a thing

Aimee Teegarden, Minka Kelly, Adrianne Palicki, Dora Madison Burge, Jurnee Smollett, all seem too talented and/or too good looking not to be bigger stars.  Is there any reason that any of these women couldn't have been the love interest in a random summer blockbuster?  I would have bet money that Minka Kelly was going to be America's Sweetheart.  She looks like the hot chick from high school who you set next to in Biology who you thought you had a chance with because she was nice to you when you had to do lab work.