DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2017 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Also, I was slightly bummed at the start of Rick and Morty when Rick said Morty's Mind Blowers was replacing Interdimensional TV this season, but then the episode made me laugh for nearly 30 minutes.

Poor, poor Beebo.

• Like 3

I didn't realize Vice Principals was back. That'll give us something to watch tonight.

Morty's Mind Blowers felt like the weakest episode this season to me, but this run of Rick and Morty has been remarkably consistent and it was coming off of the Citadel episode, so it's not really a knock on the episode. 

i just got into Toast of London. Matt Berry has always cracked me up in Darkplace and IT Crowd, but this show reveals the full extent of his genius. It's such a bravura performance of utter absurdity, but theres always a weirdly relatable vulnerability to Toast that makes him likeable. It's easy to play a selfish bore, but it's difficult to make you root for the character anyway. And the show's songs got me into Berry's acid jazz albums, which are fantastic. 

Vice Principals was okay, not great, but it was funny in some parts. It'll pick up. I can't wait for Curb to come back in a few weeks .

Mentioned in the Smackdown thread, this Ken Burns Vietnam doc has been pretty damn good. I missed the first two, frankly because I didn't know it was a thing until last night. Which worked out as I read the post when it just started (episode 3), and let's be honest, this is where the action picks up. Episode 3 is the juicy portion, when it comes to 'Business is about to pick up.' mode. I'm snacking on sashimi and watching 4 now. Should be good. 

14 hours ago, (BP) said:

i just got into Toast of London. Matt Berry has always cracked me up in Darkplace and IT Crowd, but this show reveals the full extent of his genius. It's such a bravura performance of utter absurdity, but theres always a weirdly relatable vulnerability to Toast that makes him likeable. It's easy to play a selfish bore, but it's difficult to make you root for the character anyway. And the show's songs got me into Berry's acid jazz albums, which are fantastic. 

Just finished season 1 and I loved it as well. Took me an episode or two to get into it, as I was expecting more of a Snuff Box style show, but found myself really digging it by the end. Absolutely love the voice over bits. "I CAN HEAR YOU, CLEM FANDANGO!" Steven Toast should be such an unlikeable ass, but he's also so easy to root for.

• Like 1

So, The Good Place... This has "critically adored, insane cult following, cancelled within ten episodes because the universe is a cold and uncaring place" written all over it.

Way weirder than I expected, but also way better than I expected.

Turns out, this show is working towards being one of the best sitcoms ever

• Like 2

I just read tat America's Got Talent was renewed for a 13th season.  Jesus Christ.  I mean, it's not surprising, but still.  I watched a season or two when Stern was hired to be a judge because I like his radio program, but, seeing buts and pieces of AGT now, I feel like a moron for ever getting fleeced by this dumb show.  It's absolutely a work, start to finish.  It hit me when I saw the judges freaking out over a mentalist act, and I said, "why are they surprised by this guy?  It's the same act from back when I used to watch."  The it hit me, it's the same acts every damn year and every year they act just so amazed and blown away.  And it's a fucking sob story vignette before every act.  God damn I hate TV.  Burn it all down.

• Like 3

Did Electric Dreams air over the Pond yet? It started last Sunday over here. I'd be up for a ten episode series just of The Hood Maker, but it's all one-offs.

I love Star Trek. And I'm a guy who loves when it's evolved into stuff that makes hardcore fans act like idiots. I totally dig the new movies, and the last one was a blast. I adore Voyager, Enterprise had its moments, and I think Deep Space Nine is clearly the best of all the shows. And in that spirit, I'm looking forward to this new Trek show.

But, I have to subscribe to some fucking CBS deal? 

Fuck you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I love Star Trek. And I'm a guy who loves when it's evolved into stuff that makes hardcore fans act like idiots. I totally dig the new movies, and the last one was a blast. I adore Voyager, Enterprise had its moments, and I think Deep Space Nine is clearly the best of all the shows. And in that spirit, I'm looking forward to this new Trek show.

But, I have to subscribe to some fucking CBS deal? 

Fuck you.

Yeah, I really hope after this fails, they'll salvage the show somewhere else.

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, I really hope after this fails, they'll salvage the show somewhere else.

Sadly, rumor is that CBS has already broken even on the Discovery costs through their deal with Netflix to stream the show everywhere else in the world.  So I don't see it failing any time soon if at all.

And, frankly, considering that the only non-NFL show on CBS that I've watched over the past few years was Person of Interest, I'm not paying $10 a month just for one show.

I don't have anything against CBS' streaming service, but I seriously dislike watching shows on my pc/laptop.  I probably should figure out what I need to do to stream shows to my tv, but I don't watch that many shows regularly any more, so that's pretty low priority.  I'm kinda assuming their will a DVD set when the season ends.

FWIW, I've been told by a few people who have seen it (the first three eps were sent to critics for review, but there is a review embargo in effect until tonight) that it's very good.  A couple articles I've read have gotten me interested in it and I'm not a Star Trek fan by any means.

It didnt make the pod due to spoilers, but one thing John Champion (of mission log) said when we were talking about 

Spoiler

Harry Mudd

Is that it would be hard in 2017 to totally dismiss the character as comic relief when you actually look at his job 

Spoiler

Sex trafficker