DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2017 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Just finished last night's Rick and Morty.  Great stuff.  Someone needs to tell me if any of the other Rick and Mortys were seen previously.  I've watched every episode, but I only kinda remember them.  I didn't realize that was Eyepatch Morty until the internet told me.  Actually, I don't remember Eyepatch Morty particularly well.  i need to rewatch that episode.

Loved them using In the City by the Eagles early on in the ep.

Rick & Morty needs its own thread. No, I am too lazy to do it.

You're The Worst is back and it had two good episodes. Of course, none of you guys are watching it because y'all want everything I love to die.

I watched a couple of episodes from the new BoJack Horseman season. Not grabbed by it yet. I think I like what they are doing with some of the supporting characters but not sure.

Enjoyed HBO's Insecure this season. I haven't watched the finale yet.

Still not watching HBO's The Deuce. Anyone?

20 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

You're The Worst is back and it had two good episodes. Of course, none of you guys are watching it because y'all want everything I love to die.

I love it, but I am on Hulu's time. Season 3 was just uploaded last month, so I expect to watch the current season next year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I'm not watching it, but I see a lot of enmity for that pseudo Trek show done by McFarlane. 

Don't know why.  It was pretty good, and probably going to be a better Trek show than Discovery.  And we don't have to pay another streaming service to watch it.

• Like 1

The weirdest thing about that McFarlane show is that it was a reaction to CBS passing on his pitch to run their new Star Trek show. So this is literally a repackaged version of what a Seth McFarlane Star Trek show would be. 

That Rick and Morty episode was written way before the election, which is eerie. The social and political commentary wasn't even the most incisive stuff in the show for me though. It said a lot about human nature and the notion of individuality that was really compelling. There's no reason a show that started off as a filthy Back to the Future parody short should be one of the best shows on television, but here we are. 

• Like 1

So Rick and Morty was awesome. Wow. I need to watch it a second time because I feel like a missed a ton.

I also watched the 2-part premiere for You're the Worst. I was really digging depressed Jimmy who became a carpenter handyman of sorts and then he snaps into regular Jimmy once he sees Smores. That was still amusing at least.

The other half of the premiere managed to be way more depressing. I know some others are behind, so I'll spoiler it, but

Spoiler

it was sad seeing Gretchen all fucked up on crack, throwing her life away, and then going back to the scumbag movie producer guy. It was especially painful seeing the text from Jimmy and she then proceeds to keep riding away. At the same time, she has to live her life and move on because as far as she knows, Jimmy strung her along and played her for a fool before breaking her heart. It's just the way she moved on that sucks. Self-destructive people are going to do self-destructive things though.

23 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

You're The Worst is on the short list of my favorite TV shows of all-time. The first/second episode were awesome. 

• Like 1

I really enjoy You're The Worst, especially the first and second seasons.  The first two episodes of the new season were very good so I'm fully on board again.

I've never thought the premise was a long term one but they've made it work so far.  I do hope they have idea of when to end it though.

8 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

I really enjoyed You're The Worst, especially the first and second seasons.  The first two episodes of the new season were very good so I'm fully on board again.

I've never thought the premise was a long term one but they've made it work so far.  I do hope they have idea of when to end it though.

You can stick great characters in any dumb plot and it will work. The show is just a "will they/won't they" except they started the "will they" part a little earlier than most. But just having unique characters (essentially hipster garbage people) who are well-drawn makes it all work. 

OH SHIT! Thanks for the reminder.

Man, it feels like it has been forever since the last Broad City. Without seeing any previews for this season, I was getting a strong vibe in the last season finale that Abby was pregnant.

I really loved this Broad City. It really has felt like 10 years since the last episode. Broad City reminds me a bit of how I felt as a kid reading Calvin and Hobbes. I like watching their adventures unfold. On top of it, Abbi and Ilana are so ridiculously talented. They're like the new Lucille Ball in terms of physical comedy. 

Yeah, those last two Rick and Mortys were awesome. The detoxification one was funnier, but "Tales from the Citadel" was smarter, and harder. Even though it was a pastiche of a lot of familiar film tropes it shows that all those things are familiar because they're so palpable in real life. The cop storyline was particularly brutal. "Wanna see how I paint a fuckin' wall?" and "Just Mortys killing Mortys", damn.

And then, after all that, they end with "mermaid puss"

• Like 1

I love that Donald Glover won 'Best Male Actor in a Comedy Series' (First black actor to win the award since Robert Guillaume which seems impossible, like surely someone else like Bill Cosby, Redd Foxx, Will Smith had to have won it but...no) but even happier that he won 'Best Direction in a Comedy Series' for the episode 'B.A.N.'  because that was such a wonderfully inventive and throughly hilarious episode of TV, my favourite episode of anything in years.

• Like 1

I was happy that Netflix came up huge in the Emmys. 

The wins legitimize Netflix and other streaming content sites as credible forces in the realm of television entertainment and serve as a testimony that the quality of their programming is just as good if not better than traditional sources.

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

James Cameron announced that he is rebooting True Lies into a TV series

I might actually watch that just to see how long Harry Tasker could perpetuate the charade.

If they do not get someone phenomenally slimy to be Simon, I will hate this show.

17 hours ago, caley said:

I love that Donald Glover won 'Best Male Actor in a Comedy Series' (First black actor to win the award since Robert Guillaume which seems impossible, like surely someone else like Bill Cosby, Redd Foxx, Will Smith had to have won it but...no) 

Yeah, I read today that Cosby refused to submit himself in the category. Actors are weird. Comedians are weird. 

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I was happy that Netflix came up huge in the Emmys. 

The wins legitimize Netflix and other streaming content sites as credible forces in the realm of television entertainment and serve as a testimony that the quality of their programming is just as good if not better than traditional sources.

Netflix cleaned up, but let's not overlook Hulu being the first streaming service to lock down Best Drama Series. 

That said, Tituss Burgess lost so everything sucks.