DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Santa Sangre was, of course, wild. It somehow turns into kind of a giallo halfway through (which I should have known from the Claudio Argento production credit and one of the guys being voiced by the same voiceover guy that did the boat pilot in Zombie, etc.). But it's also not? There were moments where I'd be laughing my ass off and then the tone just shifts hard left and it's depressing as fuck.  Really a hard movie to make heads or tails of. The dying elephant still freaks me out.

And hey... she liked it! She's also never seen El Topo or Jodorowsky's Dune, or the first two of the new trilogy (I haven't either) so we gotta get on that.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2017 at 10:53 PM, Craig H said:

We went to see The Kingsman 2. I liked it a lot. All of the shit with Elton John cracked me up. If I had one complaint, all of the trailers make it feel like there's a big bait and switch... I'll spoiler it.

Hide contents

Channing Tatum is in it for all of 5 minutes just about. There are no adventures to be had with him. In fact, at the end they tease Tatum and them all working together and it's like, come on, that's what we should've got in this one!

Yeah, Kingsman 2 is basically all that great stuff in part 1 and  America fuck yeah. I also love that everyone had proper (albeit over the top) motivations that you could understand. And I had a weird feeling it could easily fit into the American Gods TV show universe.

They better have a Statesman spin-off. Oh Jebus, please have a Statesman spinoff!

Spoiler

And Whiskey stole the freakin show. Damn, he was a suave mofo. Felt bad when he got offed :(

• Like 1

On 9/21/2017 at 6:35 AM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Watched Hateful Eight last night.  Really dug it.  Could have done without the half hour flashback sequence tacked onto a movie that was already 2 1/2 hours long, but the main story was pretty damn good.  Thought Kurt Russell was very good here, but kept wondering why the hell Jeff Bridges wasn't playing the role.  Had to look at Wikipedia to make sure Jennifer Jason Leigh was really in the movie.  Between the black eye, busted nose, and blood, there was maybe one scene where she looked recognizable for a few seconds.  Not a huge Tarantino fan, but this was probably the best flick I've seen lately.  

So the scene when Kurt Russell destroys the guitar. Well....

The guitar that Daisy Domergue plays while singing "Jim Jones at Botany Bay" was a priceless antique from the 1870s, on loan from the Martin Guitar Museum. At the end of the song, the script called for John Ruth to grab the guitar, and smash it to pieces. Six replicas were built for the shoot, and were supposed to be substituted for the real instrument for the smashing shot, but due to a miscommunication, Kurt Russell was not informed, and destroyed the original guitar before anyone could stop him. Jennifer Jason Leigh's shocked reaction to this is genuine and can be seen in the released film. The Martin Guitar Museum subsequently announced they would never loan guitars to film shoots again.

• Like 1

It hurts knowing that and watching it again, honestly. You want to scream at them YOU COULDN'T GIVE HIM THE RIGHT GUITAR?!

Speaking of what hurts, I just finished watching The King of Comedy. Having what is basically Taxi Driver performed as a comedy is not pleasant, but still pretty funny and enlightening in a sense. It's one of those movies that anyone watching is going to have a different opinion about. Sandra Bernhard is awesome of course. 

I think it was a predecessor to the Seinfeld/Curb/Always Sunny/Broad City kind of humor too, except darker

On 9/21/2017 at 1:14 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, but Hitch already has enough accolades ;) 

I was skimming the thread quickly and at first I thought Curt was talking about the Will Smith/Kevin James movie and I was so confused

• Haha 2

^^^ Ha! 

Disc Replay nailed me again yesterday. I picked up: 

Spun 

The Proposition

Kentucky Fried Movie

Don't Look Now

Innocent Blood (!)

Let The Right One In

At least I didn't drop a bill on a game system that plays Nintendo, Super Nintendo and Genesis along with two games (Simon's Quest and Streets of Rage II) like my buddy did. The Cowboy Bebop lineup poster behind their counter was awful tempting though...

Spoiler

659585-182826.jpg

spoilered for size

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Kentucky Fried Movie.

This is probably one of my favorite movies.

My organization still has the running joke of referring to major screw ups during an exercise as "A Samuel J. Bronkowitz Production."

Also, Big Jim Slade.

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Innocent Blood (!)

Let The Right One In

A vampire double feature in prep for the Horror GOAT Poll!   Good man!

• Like 1

Yeah I was surprised that I ended up with two vampire films. I really couldn't turn down Let the Right One In, and the Innocent Blood is ancient and beat to shit (it even has one of those old cardboard cases) but THAT HAD to be mine. 

Glad I grabbed Kentucky Fried Movie too because the rest of em... well, a little downer-y (I always laugh my ass off at Spun though, and I guess Innocent Blood is funny too)

Ah, and since I've got you here, J.T. (and Neil or whoever else) I borrowed some Wu Tang-related kung fu film collections from my buddy yesterday (as if I didn't have enough to watch). I'm guessing these are alternate titles but I didn't recognize them from El Rey or anywhere else. Titles: 

Shaolin Death Squad

Fatal Flying Guillotine

Zatoichi vs. Flying Gullotine

Shaolin Mystagogue

Fury in Shaolin Temple (with Gordon Liu)

Are they any good? My buddy thought they were pretty bad but fun (he hasn't watched some of the stuff we have, haha. I lent him 36 Chambers because he hasn't seen that yet either)

IIRC, the Wu Tang collection features a lot of Kung Fu movies made by SB's rival film makers in Taiwan as well as production companies in Hong Kong.  Quite a few of the Wu Tang Collection films feature Carter Wong.  He was pretty much the answer to "Who can we hire since we can't get Lo Meng?

I remember not particularly caring for Shaolin Death Squad and I would stay away from Fury in Shaolin Temple lest it makes you question Gordon Liu's awesomeness in stuff like 18 Diagram Pole Fighter.

Fatal Flying Guillotine and Zatoichi (who is obviously not played by Shintaro Katsu) vs. Flying Guillotine are campy enough to prove enjoyable.

The "best" film out of that lot is probably Shaolin Mystagogue.

If you want to see Carter Wong in a fairly decent (decent being a relative term here) martial arts Wu Tang Collection feature, I'd have to recommend The 18 Bronzemen and The Legendary Strike.

Thanks! I'll probably at least get around to Shaolin Mystagogue. There's just too much shit sitting here to watch, I forgot that buddy gave me The Raid: Redemption as he found it on Blu Ray as well, and that was just collecting dust since the DVD part of my DVD/VHS setup crashed out so I moved all the movies piling up on top of the player into the back room. Hell, I've been meaning to watch Only God Forgives again and I bought that like a year ago. At least my VLC player will let me watch some of them without having to sit in the front room

So what is the greatest movie release day ever?

I ask this after learning that Blade Runner and The Thing opened on the same exact day (June 25, 1982)

So two movies considered among the greatest of all time. I am sure there is another two day but is there a three?

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So what is the greatest movie release day ever?

I ask this after learning that Blade Runner and The Thing opened on the same exact day (June 25, 1982)

So two movies considered among the greatest of all time. I am sure there is another two day but is there a three?

How are you defining "great?" 

Blade Runner opened to rather lukewarm reviews yet made a respectable profit and The Thing opened to negative reviews and a box office that was pretty dismal mostly due to a horrible release date.

If your metric measured "great" by their initial reception, both movies would fail the litmus test.

A) They don't have to be great instantly. Great movies are great movies. I can't can't help it when people are slow on the uptake.

B) I am talking specific date so month, day, year. Otherwise, most likely Christmas or July 4 wins (since the other holidays move around so much)

I'm trying to think...Surely there had to have been a weekend where there was more than one movie in the theater that opened in a specific weekend and I managed to see both in that weekend.

Part of me wants to say the Matrix.

And actually, after a quick look, Matrix came out on a Wednesday and so did...10 Things I Hate About You. I know for sure I saw both of those in that Wednesday to Sunday span. I love the Matrix and irrationally really like 10 Things I Hate About You. The Matrix I'll call a classic, the other not so much, so that comes close for me anyway.

There must be others though...Perhaps something around the time Return of the King came out?

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

A) They don't have to be great instantly. Great movies are great movies. I can't can't help it when people are slow on the uptake.

B) I am talking specific date so month, day, year. Otherwise, most likely Christmas or July 4 wins (since the other holidays move around so much)

A) I'm not saying I disagree on principle.  I'm saying that I get paid to measure soldier readiness, so I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to stats and metrics.  In order to determine "greatness," we need to define what "great" is and how we go about measuring and quantifying "great."

B) I don't know about specific years, but it's no secret that May 25th is considered to be the luckiest day of the movie release calendar thanks to Star Wars and Alien, but you also have the awfulness of Baywatch stinking up the 25th.  June 20th is also a hot release day (Jaws?).

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Found an article on the topic

http://www.dorkly.com/post/82033/times-two-beloved-movies-magically-came-out-on-the-same-day

Pulp Fiction/Shawshank Redemption probably tops Thing/Blade Runner for me on a personal level

That is a really good article.

I'd have to go with Ghostbusters / Gremlins.

• Like 1