DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I get the joke, but now I'm trying to think of the harshest and most aggressively unpleasant experience I've ever had in a movie theater. 

Many years ago, wife and I went to a late night showing of Strange Brew, the Bob and Doug McKenzie movie (from SCTV fame, if you don't know).  Only two other people in the theater, a college-aged couple.  Halfway through the movie, they start having sex.  I'm ready to go home.  Wife will have none of it and wants to stay.  So begins a long, strange night that would probably strain my heart today now that I'm the advanced age of 49.

To this day, I occassionally find myself hoping that the wife just really likes that movie.  That seems somewhat unlikely, however.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I wanted to see mother! because I love so much of Aronofsky. And then I got spoiled and just reading descriptions fucked me up all day.  I don't know if It's a thoughtful masterpiece or a self-important camp fiasco, but I know I would regret letting it take me hostage in a theater.

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For whatever its worth - Stephen King picks his 8 "favorite" films for BFI. They are in no particular order except the first one 

• Sorcerer (he said this is his favorite film of all time)
  • Les Diaboliques
  • The Changeling
  • Night of the Demon
  • Village of the Damned
  • Duel
  • The Hitcher
  • The Stepfather

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/news-bfi/features/stephen-king-favourite-films

Yet I recall a doc where he said his favorite horror film was the '56 Invasion of the Body Snatchers and that's not on the list? Okay. 

I have to highly argue against The Hitcher being on there (yet I have the shame of never having seen Sorcerer, Les Diaboliques, or The fucking Stepfather on my head so hey)

EDIT: You know what, I thought about it, and The Hitcher sounds like a movie Stephen King loves because he wishes he wrote it. It's even extremely overlong! 

15 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think that it is hilarious that so many of Aronofsky's movies (especially The Fountain) are reviled because they had the audacity to make someone engage their brain while watching a movie.

The Fountain, again, felt like a flawed masterpiece to me. In its original form I think it would have been a bonafide classic but it fell circumstance to the recession if I recall and Aronofsky had to scale everything back to get it made. I have the large graphic novel and it's a thing of beauty

37 minutes ago, Roman said:

I loved The Fountain, despite all its flaws. The visuals were stunning and the soundtrack is amongst my all-time favourites.

It has just enough time travel gobbledygook for me and just enough love story for my boo to watch it with me without being bored out of her mind.

Dr. Tom Creo spanning centuries and dimensions in the attempt to cure his beloved wife's cancer sets a high fucking bar for us male significant others.  It is the ultimate answer to Janet Jackson's musical question, "What have you done for me lately?"

• Like 1

On 9/19/2017 at 9:36 AM, J.T. said:

Nymphomania was also the most un-erotic erotic film I have ever had to sit through.

I was coming in here to post that this movie wasn't meant to be an "erotic" film, but then I remembered I've only seen Antichrist out of the Depression Trilogy. So, uh... yeah, that movie was really fucking weird.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Casey said:

I was coming in here to post that this movie wasn't meant to be an "erotic" film, but then I remembered I've only seen Antichrist out of the Depression Trilogy. So, uh... yeah, that movie was really fucking weird.

Well, it's Lars von Trier so I knew that Nymphomania wasn't supposed to be erotic, but I didn't expect it to be repulsive either.

The whole point of watching a movie with a whole bunch of sex in it with your significant other is so that you and your homegirl will grin at each other and be like "You thinking what I'm thinking?" as the end credits roll.

This movie will have the opposite effect of that.  You may even go into movie hipster "Why do I sit through stuff like this?" mode after that shit.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I feel like you probably should have known you weren't going to get laid after watching a sex filled Lars von Trier movie. :P

Only Lars von Trier could make a nude scene featuring nubile Mia Goth make your stomach turn and there should be a rule that Charlotte Gainsburgh must maintain wardrobe at all costs..

As they say.

Don't get too amped about going to a nude beach because it will be occupied by peole who should be wearing as much clothing as possible.

It wasn't so bad that Willem Dafoe was naked.  He was also naked and covered in mud.  Yerghhhhh..

Thanks for bringing back the traumatic imagery of Antichrist to my conscious mind, Casey.

I owe you a punch in the throat for that.

Watched Cruise's Mummy flick a few nights ago.  Didn't entirely hate it, but, yeah, nothing special. Action scenes were fairly mundane, and the story was meh.  I guess Nick (Cruise's character) was supposed to be a sleazeball who struggled to do the right thing, but that never comes through in the script.  We're told a few times that Nick is a bad guy, which is why he was picked to be Set's vessel, but every time he's onscreen, Nick effortlessly does the action hero thing with no sign of ambivalence.  Characters were paper-thin in this movie, in general.  i never really got why Nick was willing to risk everything for Jenny.  It didn't help that Cruise and Annabelle Wallis didn't have a lot of chemistry.  Also, as much as I like the idea of a secret society of monster hunters led by Henry Jekyll, their plan to let Set reincarnate then try to kill him was colossally stupid.

Watched Hateful Eight last night.  Really dug it.  Could have done without the half hour flashback sequence tacked onto a movie that was already 2 1/2 hours long, but the main story was pretty damn good.  Thought Kurt Russell was very good here, but kept wondering why the hell Jeff Bridges wasn't playing the role.  Had to look at Wikipedia to make sure Jennifer Jason Leigh was really in the movie.  Between the black eye, busted nose, and blood, there was maybe one scene where she looked recognizable for a few seconds.  Not a huge Tarantino fan, but this was probably the best flick I've seen lately.  

Probably will go on a movie watching binge.  Haven't watched a lot of movies the past decade or so, and the local public library system recently stopped charging to rent DVDs and extended check-out period to a week.  We live 5 min (walk, not car) from one of the branches.

It's hilarious that despite the movie nerd I am I've never seen a Von Trier film, and I feel like I've somehow dodged a bullet. 

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Between the black eye, busted nose, and blood

Don't forget the missing teeth! That was a serious case of dental disaster there. 

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention I'm going to Santa Sangre on Friday with a lady friend of mine. We haven't kicked it in like two years but she remembered going to see The Holy Mountain with me for damn sure. I told her to be forewarned, my previous attempt at watching it was (I didn't tell her this) too depressing and I ended up turning it off. Now taking bets on what her reaction will be

Note: when she got out of Holy Mountain she proclaimed it the best movie she ever saw, so I don't even know how she's gonna react

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Don't forget the missing teeth! That was a serious case of dental disaster there. 

LOl, yeah.  I had mixed feelings about Leigh being in the movie.  I sat there thinking "This is an important role in a high profile movie, and a chance to work with Tarantino.  She was probably happy to land the role."  I had to remind myself of that a couple times because her role in the first 2/3 of the movie is basically to be a punching bag for male characters and look like a building fell on her.  The casual violence towards her character was unsettling (which is likely what Tarantino was going for).

Samuel Jackson getting his groin blown off pleased me more than it should have.  I think I've seen too many movies when Sam seemed to be on autopilot and was probably just in the movie to grab some cash (I'm looking at you, XXX: The Return of Xander Cage)..

Sam always brings it for Quentin, at least. As far as Leigh's character went, you can't forget she was also a virulent racist, thief, and murderer. The whole point of the film was that there were NO sympathetic characters (minus the original staff of the lodge), and the way things turned out deserved to happen really. The violence towards her just underlined it. 

Also, when you think about it, she got to be one of the meatiest characters. She was crafty, conniving, got to sing and play guitar, got a long stretch of dialogue (Quentin's dialogue, which is always pretty much the best dialogue in cinema), and got a memorable, disgusting end. I can't feel too bad for Jennifer even if she was a punching bag too. Hell, her character was pretty much why the plot existed; she was the fulcrum. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's hilarious that despite the movie nerd I am I've never seen a Von Trier film, and I feel like I've somehow dodged a bullet. 

I actually liked Melancholia and Nymphomania, but von Trier and Gaspard Noe tend to be deal breakers for me because it always seems that they are directing films that only they would watch, and then it is the fault of the audience if only critics seem to like the movie and the general public remains standoffish..

Odd though it may seem, I think that Nymphomania would've worked 1000% better character study if there had been no sex in the movie.  Sometimes you have to give your audience credit for being smart and trust than they will understand the point you're trying to get across.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Odd though it may seem, I think that Nymphomania would've worked 1000% better character study if there had been no sex in the movie.  Sometimes you have to give your audience credit for being smart and trust than they will understand the point you're trying to get across.

In tribute to Tobe Hooper, we should call this the Texas Chainsaw Factor

We went to see The Kingsman 2. I liked it a lot. All of the shit with Elton John cracked me up. If I had one complaint, all of the trailers make it feel like there's a big bait and switch... I'll spoiler it.

Spoiler

Channing Tatum is in it for all of 5 minutes just about. There are no adventures to be had with him. In fact, at the end they tease Tatum and them all working together and it's like, come on, that's what we should've got in this one!