DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2017 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

FWIW I actually rented AND watched two movies last month which is monumental for me. I always end up putting them off until they're late anymore

The Art here in town is playing Texas Chainsaw so I'm going to see it tomorrow (for the second time there). Went on their website to look at the calendar and they're playing, among other things: Whose Streets (won't go for fear of being made to go downtown and break windows), Santa Sangre (!!!), Mortal Kombat for free (nope), The Nutty Professor, and here's the lineup for their Shocktoberfest this year (some of you are gonna shit): 

Spoiler

SPECIAL EVENTS

Opening Night

AN EVENING WITH LINNEA QUIGLEY (Scream Queen)
Feat. Return of the Living Dead (1985, Dan O’Bannon) & Devotion (2016, Jessie Seitz)

All-Nite Horror Marathon
Feat. Friday the 13th IV: The Final Chapter (1984, Joseph Zito) & Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982, Tommy Lee Wallace) + 3 new restorations from the American Genre Film Archive: The Last House on Dead End Street (1977, Roger Watkins), Eaten Alive(1977, Tobe Hooper), Nightmare Sisters (1987, David DeCoteau)

George A. Romero Double-Feature
Feat. Night of the Living Dead (1968, George A. Romero) – new restoration from Janus Films/MOMA!
& The Crazies (1973, George A. Romero) – new restoration from the American Genre Film Archive!

MAIN PROGRAM

Eraserhead – new restoration from Janus Films!
1977, Dir. David Lynch

Tales from the Hood
1995, Rusty Cundieff

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer – new restoration from Dark Sky Films!
1986, John McNaughton

Rocky Horror Picture Show + live cast from Illini Musicals!
1975, Richard O’Brien

SMART (SPOOKY) KIDS: Halloween Shorts Program (Free)

There are a few nights I'm clearly gonna have to start and leave work early to get there in time. 

Jesus, can you imagine going to see Henry with a crowd? That is gonna freak people out so bad. It's gonna LOOK like Night of the Living Dead because everyone's gonna leave the theater looking like they got hit in the back of the head with a brick. 

Also, Linnea Quigley is actually showing up in person that one night

I saw Ingrid Goes West last night!  It was very good!  I saw a review somewhere saying it was full of uncomfortable moments, but I just thought it was fun.  You Legion-watching Aubrey Plaza fans should give it a look!  Also it was my first time seeing Ice Cube Jr., and he was good too.

What i have watched lately

The Fate of the Furious: This was enjoyable, but it's less a movie than a giant action set-piece of interchangeable characters.  And there are SO many of them: Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Michelle Rodriguez, Ludacris, Tyrese, Nathalie Emmanuel, Kurt Russell, Jason Statham are all in at least their second installment of the film, then add in Scott Eastwood, Charlize Theron

Helen Mirren

and the cast is getting majorly bloated.  Anyways, it was exciting, entertaining and...it was pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

Corner Gas: The Movie: I was a huge fan of the first few years of the show but the last few I didn't think were as good, as Nancy Robertson (Wanda) seemed to dominate the show and push all the other characters more or less out of the way and it lost a lot of its charm.  The movie's not bad, somewhere between the last couple seasons and the first few.  It's all right.

Black Mass: This was actually a lot better than I expected, heard lots of pans and negative reviews but I thought it was pretty well-acted and interesting mobster film.  The ending's a little flat and dry, but Johnny Depp is pretty good, Joel Edgerton is quite good, and Jesse Plemons, Peter Saarsgard and Rory Cochrane are all really good.

29 minutes ago, caley said:

Black Mass: This was actually a lot better than I expected, heard lots of pans and negative reviews but I thought it was pretty well-acted and interesting mobster film.  The ending's a little flat and dry, but Johnny Depp is pretty good, Joel Edgerton is quite good, and Jesse Plemons, Peter Saarsgard and Rory Cochrane are all really good.

I rewatched it a couple weeks ago for the first time since it came out and thought I liked it much better on the rewatch. When it came out, I couldn't get over the obnoxious accents Cumberbatch and Edgerton were rocking and some of the shoehorning (i.e. Whitey's brother). For a cliche filled gangster film, I thought it hit the right notes.

"What's your opinion on Whitey Bulger?"

"Strictly criminal."

UPDATE: I BOUGHT MY TICKETS FOR THE ALL-NITE HORROR FEST Y'ALL!!! So now I can watch The Final Chapter and Season of the Witch, set my alarm, fall asleep during Last House, wake up for Eaten Alive, set my alarm, fall asleep again, and wake up to walk down the street for a greasy spoon breakfast at Merry Ann's Cafe before heading home. Perfect night. They better serve coffee and popcorn the whole time though... 

While recording an episode o the podcast I co-host many joeks were made about what would happen if you found a way to re-cut Love Actually with scenes from Pulp Fiction (don't ask). The result is... interesting

21270930_1954455968130640_15039908008822

James

I watched Power Rangers yesterday with my brother (Who was super-excited for it and bummed when he missed it in theaters).  It was a fairly entertaining reboot of the franchise.  The biggest question about it occurred three-quarters of the way through when my brother looked and me and went "But seriously, why did Bryan Cranston make this movie?"  But I did like that they gave the kids more modern problems: with one power ranger being on the autism scale while another is an outcast because she cyberbullied another classmate.  This is basically, in a way, 'The Breakfast Club' if, in the second act The Breakfast Club got superpowers.  I really only watched the first season or two, and mostly for Kimberly *sigh* so I'm not sure how faithful it is to the source material.  On the plus side: putties.  On the down side: no Bulk or Skull.

Yeah, The Mummy is one of the worst films of the year. Obviously there were a lot of stories of Tom Cruise gonna Tom Cruise but watching it, you can legit smell his grubby fingerprints all over it and every film he makes now you're kinda worried about the leading lady being brainwashed into his whole nonsense like when he ate Katie Holmes' soul and she was never the same again. I mean, I know she wasn't one of his leading ladies but still.

Anyways, yeah, it would be the worst film of the year had I not watched The Layover last night which was basically marketed as HEY UPTON HAS TITS AND DADDARIO HAS TITS SO WATCH THIS FILM and ends up being pretty much the most detestable and hateful film of the year and, so bad, I'm pretty sure my wife is filing for divorce after sitting through it. Eh, there was fuck all on TV last night so I apologise.

They do have tits though. Which is, yeah, ok, TITS and all that.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2017 at 0:32 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

I saw Ingrid Goes West last night!  It was very good!  I saw a review somewhere saying it was full of uncomfortable moments, but I just thought it was fun.  You Legion-watching Aubrey Plaza fans should give it a look!  Also it was my first time seeing Ice Cube Jr., and he was good too.

There absolutely were a number of uncomfortable moments. O'Shea Jackson, Jr. however, absolutely stole the film. He's gonna be huge down the line. Definite showing of range by him and Plaza. And there are times when Wyatt Russell sounds entirely too much like his father.

9 hours ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Wait, is Linnea Quigley going to be in Champaign?

Yep http://www.thearttheater.org/an-evening-with-linnea-quigley/

They don't exactly say she's gonna be there, but when they announced the whole shebang with the free Raw showing, Jessie said she would be. I can't make it because of work unfortunately (goddammit)

Man Fist Fight is an unlikable, unfunny mess of a film. For one, the film takes place on the last day of school which is Senior Prank Day and the movie really wants you to find the pranks as funny as they do, but they're not funny and you're really hoping for the plot to end up with the teachers beating the shit out of their students for being such unlikable pricks.  For two, I think you're supposed to be rooting for Charlie Day's character to stand up and be a man, but he does so many unlikable things before the end that he's not really a likable hero, whatsoever.  It was just bad, really.  I don't know how there are 5 writing credits for the film.  It doesn't feel like there was one writer in all honesty: just that someone threw a bunch of curse words in the air and let them land wherever they may.  And I like Charlie Day, Ice Cube, Cristina Hendricks, Dean Norris and Kunail Nanjiani...

Very busy with Toronto Film Festival movies, but just wanted to quickly mention that I was at the premiere of The Cured last night that got disrupted by a fire alarm.  Everyone, including star Ellen Page, had to evacuate the building.  They told us to go back to our original seats once they let us back in - not sure how that worked out for everyone else, but I got mine.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41217130

I found a new discount game and video store in town and snagged the following for just $20, with one free: 

Miller's Crossing (never seen all of it)

Manhunter

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin 

Beast of Blood (!!! also never seen)

The King of Comedy (never seen)

Trespass (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I had to drag myself out of there before I spent my next paycheck. Also, it's funny seeing an old $17 tag on The King of Comedy and snagging it for $3.33. Guess this is one of those liquidation stores because there was definitely some Blockbuster tags on some of 'em.

• Like 1

On Wednesday, September 06, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Roman said:

I watched Blood Father last night. I hadn't expected much of it, but it was a pretty fun movie. Mel Gibson was surprisingly funny.

Heard absolutely nothing about this one and found it at my library.  Loved it.  It was very much Gibson trying to restart his action career with a 'Taken'-type film and it all worked with me.

On Friday, September 08, 2017 at 10:05 AM, The Natural said:

Great film. Best by Ben Affleck as director. @Brian Fowler really liked it as well.

Amongst me and my family/friends, this has become known as the film to watch if you want to fight with your significant other.

My parents watched it and got into an argument about the ending.  My father felt Affleck was right in returning the kid to her mother because that was what he said he'd do.  My mother, having worked with a lot of neglected kids, totally disagreed and felt he was in the wrong by returning her to her mother.  My mom's co-worker watched it with her husband and got into a big argument with him over the ending (I'm not sure who was on who's side in that one).  My friend watched it with his then-fiancee, my friend felt he did the right thing, his then-fiancee disagreed.  They had a big fight (Not unusual, they had big fights over 'Warcraft', too).  I have to add that the movie didn't break up their engagement, but it would probably be a better story if it had.

I watched Logan this week and pretty much loved it.  Saw it with my dad, was expecting your standard comic-book film, and suddenly Wolverine's cussing and cutting limbs off all over the place and I was kinda shocked by that.  Really good, though.  I loved that they didn't go overboard in bringing in/revealing what happened to different mutants, instead giving pretty solid characterization on the few characters it focused on.

Also saw Rainbow Time which is a weird little indie film about a guy with intimacy issues who has to look after his 40-year-old virgin brother with developmental disabilities.  The brother has no concept of boundaries and is kind of...horny in inappropriate ways, the way some guys who cannot get a girlfriend tend to be.  It's funny, it's sad, it's interesting.  It's really hard to take Tobin Bell seriously as a nice guy.  You keep expecting him to leave creepy messages on the character's phones like "You will find a device attached to your penis".  In case you can't tell, I never actually watched any of the 'Saw' films and just use my best friend's impression of Jigsaw as an actual movie quote.

• Like 1

Yeah, Tobin Bell has no babyface charisma, so far as I'm concerned.  Between being typecast as Jigsaw and just seeming to be more suited to "bad guy" roles, it's kinda jarring when he goes against type and gets a nice guy role.

I tried to watch Logan over the weekend and quit halfway in.  It seemed well done, but I wasn't into it at all.  At one point, I looked up the plot on Wikipedia, decided it didn't look any more interesting to me than the first half, and turned the DVD player off.