DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER 2017 WRESTLING PHOTOS THREAD

The Natural

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

There's something irresistibly funny about 91-year-old Lance Russell tweeting away. 

Apropos of nothing, Jerry Lawler's Memphis BBQ is a member of my company now. 

52 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's something irresistibly funny about 91-year-old Lance Russell tweeting away. 

Apropos of nothing, Jerry Lawler's Memphis BBQ is a member of my company now. 

I still want to know if Lance ever got his revenge on Jimmy Hart for dumping flour on him 25 years ago.

On 9/4/2017 at 0:29 PM, Casey said:

For those that do want to know the context - some ECW guys were at E3 in 2000, promoting the Anarchy Rulz video game. The Olsen Twins were also there, promoting their own game. They were big fans of ECW, or so the rumor goes anyway. There's apparently photos of Tommy Dreamer, Chris Chetti, Danny Doring, Simon Diamond, Cyrus and an ECW referee with the twins, too.

This conjures up memories of playing those terrible ECW games (and by extension, WWF Attitude and War Zone). Then it reminds me of how WCW's Nitro/Thunder games were bad too, but not quite as bad as those WWF/ECW games. But, WCW released two games in one year made by different companies, but published by the same people (Nitro by Inland, WCW/nWo by AKI, both published by THQ).

Nitro and Thunder were such disappointments. At least War Zone and Attitude had pretty good create-a-wrestler modes. Revenge, WM 2000, and No Mercy are the Pinnacle for me. I was sure the ECW game would fix the mistakes Acclaim made with their WWF games, but it was basically a carbon copy-- plus, I was let down by the lack of licensed music (I was young and had no idea what a hurdle that was). The biggest disappointment by far, though, was WCW Mayhem. Months and months of screenshots and hype and it just fell kinda flat.

38 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

If you're gonna mention disappointing WCW games, the list has to be topped by Backstage Assault, right?

Yeah but even by name alone, I feel like it was kind of pre-ordained to be a huge disaster. You knew what you were getting. I got it for Christmas but I barely played it. Like I remember Doug Dillenger being a playable character. Wtf?

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

WCW vs the World was always my favorite. I'll never forget when I figured out Mukluk (I think?) was really Tenzan and it all clicked. Before that I wondered why The World wrestlers were always doing so many dragon screws.

I liked WCW vs The World but found the controls kind of weird because I was so used to WCW vs NWO World Tour on N64 by that point. Real deep roster on that game though.

Did any of you guys ever play Power Move Pro Wrestling for PS1?? I found that game to be highly underrated and just tons of fun. I would always come up with back stories for the characters since they weren't WWF/WCW/ECW guys

9 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Did any of you guys ever play Power Move Pro Wrestling for PS1?? I found that game to be highly underrated and just tons of fun. I would always come up with back stories for the characters since they weren't WWF/WCW/ECW guys

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Fuck yeah, Power Move. I just played with Area 51 all day because he was the Sting clone.

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

Power Move was Toukon Retsuden if I recall. Super early precursor to the eventual Smackdown engine?

Power Move was the shit.  You have to remember there was pretty much nothing else good out at the time, and then we got this awesome fucking game.  Great memories of El Temblor (Koji Kanemoto), Area 51 (Kensuke Sasuke/Power Warrior), whatever their Muta stand-in's convict gimmick was, etc.  Just awesome.

Yeah, it was a port of TR1 and it led me down the path of getting my PS1 modded to buy TR2 (and later TR3). 

@Ryan, well it was a precursor to the Smackdown games (Yukes) but they SD games dramatically simplified it as far as the control scheme went. 

• Like 2

I never knew that the Power Move guys were based on real guys. I know the non WCW guys in the two N64 games were, like I remember someone saying AKI Man is Jushin Liger and the ninja who's name I forget is Sabu. I'm gonna have to read up on that today.

My guy in Power Move was "Malibu" Mike Swanson because his name reminded me of "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan, who young me was seeing as a heel for the first time and loving. Plus when he did his finish, the guy in the crowd who yells "Malibu!!" sounds like my dad a little for some reason. His gear also had a pretty dope blue/white color scheme iirc.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I never knew that the Power Move guys were based on real guys. I know the non WCW guys in the two N64 games were, like I remember someone saying AKI Man is Jushin Liger and the ninja who's name I forget is Sabu. I'm gonna have to read up on that today.

My guy in Power Move was "Malibu" Mike Swanson because his name reminded me of "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan, who young me was seeing as a heel for the first time and loving. Plus when he did his finish, the guy in the crowd who yells "Malibu!!" sounds like my dad a little for some reason. His gear also had a pretty dope blue/white color scheme iirc.

I think Malibu Mike was Hiroshi Hase.  One of the hidden characters, the ring announcer, think, had Liger's moveset.  I can't remember "Power Move name to NJPW name" but the game had both Sasuke and Power Warrior, both Mutoh and Muta, Scott Norton, Hashimota, Tenzan, Chono, Otani, Kanemoto, and the guy in long pants who did the butt bump a lot.

• Like 1

Would make sense it that it was New Japan guys and not WCW guys ripped off in Power Move. And yeah, it was all about the crowd calling out. I ended up importing the n64 Toukon Retsuden with the cool art years later. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Would make sense it that it was New Japan guys and not WCW guys ripped off in Power Move. And yeah, it was all about the crowd calling out. I ended up importing the n64 Toukon Retsuden with the cool art years later. 

Oh my bad I didn't mean to be confusing. When i referred to the "non WCW guys in the n64 games" I meant the fictional promotions in WCW vs. NWO World Tour and WCW/NWO Revenge. I don't remember much about the guys from WCW vs. The World for PS1 for some reason but they had a similar concept in that one.

7 hours ago, lostinube said:

DJbZPakVoAAkB-g.jpg
I think I've seen way more Gabaijichan live than is probably necessary.

Also:
DJbZ1FtVYAkNkAv.jpg

So Gabai Jichan is PSYCHO from anything I've looked up and is working a type of Darkness Crabtree from Chikara gimmick?

Power Move was my shit for a while simply because it was the only wrestling sim out there.  I can't imagine it holds up well though.  I remember being in love with Nitro when I first saw it and then being disappointed as soon as I played it.  It looked so much like the actual tv show, to me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I always played as The Count who was Stan Hansen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I never realized any of those guys were based on a real life wrestler.  I was young and oblivious. Anyone have the full list? 

Most of the wrestlers in PMPW are based on other Japanese wrestlers, but
due to copyright laws their names have been changed.  To the best of my
knowledge, here is a list of their counterparts from the Japanese version:

Agent Orange      -> Tenzan
Commandand        -> Keiji Muto
Gorgon            -> Kero-Chan
El Temblor        -> Kanemoto
Sallie            -> Tiger Hattori
Sparrow           -> The Great Muta
  • Like 2