DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER 2017 WRESTLING PHOTOS THREAD

The Natural

Y'know, it just occurred to me that if I saw Dave Meltzer coming towards me on the street, I'd cross to the other side to avoid him.  Not because I'm scared of Dave or dislike him.  Actually, I would like to meet him.  It's just... I cannot imagine talking with Dave Meltzer abou7t anything besides wrestling (well, MMA).  Maybe Dave's secretly a well-rounded person who has a standing reservation at the theater and spends his spare time aligning his chi and writing poetry, but... that seems unlikely.  Dave seems completely focused on wrestling and combat sports.  I would find that exhausting.  

I kinda picture Dave as being Vince McMahon's bizarro clone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Y'know, it just occurred to me that if I saw Dave Meltzer coming towards me on the street, I'd cross to the other side to avoid him.

I have literally done this in a hallway once. (Back around 2000-1 or so at UPW)

For those that do want to know the context - some ECW guys were at E3 in 2000, promoting the Anarchy Rulz video game. The Olsen Twins were also there, promoting their own game. They were big fans of ECW, or so the rumor goes anyway. There's apparently photos of Tommy Dreamer, Chris Chetti, Danny Doring, Simon Diamond, Cyrus and an ECW referee with the twins, too.

This conjures up memories of playing those terrible ECW games (and by extension, WWF Attitude and War Zone). Then it reminds me of how WCW's Nitro/Thunder games were bad too, but not quite as bad as those WWF/ECW games. But, WCW released two games in one year made by different companies, but published by the same people (Nitro by Inland, WCW/nWo by AKI, both published by THQ).

I wish I could find the commentary tracks for those old wrestling games. I remember one WCW one (I think Thunder?) had Schiavone go off on a rant about how sometimes guys disappear for months at a time and you don't hear about them, and then they come back with no explanation. It was the perfect encapsulation of DGAF WCW commentary and it made its way into a game.