DVDVR Message Board

El Dandy, Apolo Dantes y Eddy Guerrero vs. Emilio Charles Jr., Pirata Morgan y Ary Romero (9/29/89)

Phil Schneider

• 2 months later...

Cool to see Eddy, and he looked great here.  Lots of energy and finesse in his work, he was doing some really cool armdrags in the beginning of the second fall and his spinning toe hold in the first looked nasty as hell.  I also liked Romero's comedy stuff.  They worked some US-style heel in peril and face in peril segments which were interesting to see if not especially great really.  Morgan and Dandy had a cool run against each other toward the end too.  There were a lot of things I really liked in this match but overall I thought it dragged a lot and there was more downtime where no much of interest was happening than usual.  It'll go relatively low, but maybe I need to rewatch it.

• 5 weeks later...

This was nothing special. Ari Romero was amusing and young Eddy made this feel unique but everything else was merely solid. To be honest I'm having trouble remembering more than a couple spots from this match.The only other thing that is standing out to me is some of the limbwork which I thought was pretty boring. This isn't an absolute bottom match but it isn't going to be too much higher than that either.

• 3 weeks later...

It's surreal seeing Eddy with no facial hair. I kept looking and looking but no dice. Some decent matwork to start, tecnicos have some good legwork on Charles (who has a great high-speed scramble to the corner on the mat) and Eddy even does a standing frog splash on his leg. It's kind of weird how the tecnicos are cutting off the ring, switching up and double teaming like rudos. There is some really nice armdrag madness to start segunda but then it kind of bogs down when the rudos take over. Romero's schtick is pretty fun. At one point he kicks Dandy in the shin which nobody would see again until Dude Love came around. We end with a big dive from Eddy and martinete on Dandy. This dragged way too much, maybe if it was more of a sprint it would've been better. Everything was solid enough but it just didn't click. Good seeing Eddy though, always.

• 11 months later...

I almost mistook Dandy for Dynamite Kid when I first saw him.  As has been said, it was nice to see Eddy, and he had some nice moves.  Romero was fun, especially his first-fall strut-off with Eddy.  I also really dug Romero's shin kick to Dandy, which led to Dandy's pin by Morgan to end the second fall.  I liked Dandy's falling headbutt to Morgan in the second fall, and Morgan's skittering on his back to the floor to take a breather.  The third fall got to be a bit tedious, and the ending was just OK.  No one tried to save Dandy when he was up for the tombstone piledriver for a long time.  Again, as was said above, this ultimately will be rather forgettable.  It's bottom half for me, and probably a little ways down.

I really liked the fact that they worked this essentially like a U.S. tag, with everyone following established tag rules and working around the idea of cutting your opponent off from making a tag. I thought this first 2 falls in this were probably better than the 3rd which is a bit rare but I still liked this a lot and it should finish in my top half. I was happy to see Ary Romero has at least one more match on the set because I really liked him in this. The strutting & stooging, the spot where he slams his own head into the turnbuckle to mess with El Dandy, putting his dukes up to go against Dandy and then kicking him in the shin, he was definitely the least athletic guy in this match but he made up for it big time with his character work.