DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The Natural

Wrestling show on Christmas doesn't really bother me  It was a tradition for decades.   Running a show on New Years Day is idiotic in my opinion.  There are so many things going on that day especially at night.   They should be lucky that the Bowl Championship playoffs aren't on the 1st day of the year.  There is nothing on these special holiday shows that makes us think that live is better than taped

The other really awful thing is that the RAW crew is dealing with both of the days.  Maybe they will do a split show but if you are on the Smackdown roster you must be giddy right now

42 minutes ago, Ace said:

Wrestling shows on Xmas night used to be a regular thing. 

The keys in your post is USED TO. That's no longer a tradition, and with good reason. TV has changed.  NFL/NBA will crush RAW on Christmas and college football destroys them on New Year's Day. No fan is rearranging their holiday schedule to even watch a mailed-in wrestling show, let alone travel to one.  Plus, the talent today won't get paid more for working.  At least during the territory era, the money made on Christmas shows meant something. RAW talent already have a downside and I'm sure they would happily make due with that than be away from their families two holidays in a row.  I can't even see a scenario where WWE makes a lot of money from this. Ticket sales are likely to be poor both nights. Nothing about this decision makes senses other than Vince doing it, because Vince.

• Like 3

Bubba is full of shit. He's never been an asshole to a fan?  Ha! 

Sasha is 100% right in what she said in that interview. Stalking is not okay. People shouldn't be waiting outside hotels in the middle of the night and bothering her when she's with her husband especially considering that those same people could have gone to any number of meet and greets and met her there.   Sasha is not a 300lb man and her husband is not in the public eye. 

The Christmas Raw could be a 3 hour Tribute to the Troops on an army base and make it a supercard with Raw, Smackdown, 205 Live and NXT all on the card. Blow off some feuds have some title matches and just make it something special.

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Bubba is full of shit. He's never been an asshole to a fan?  Ha! 

Sasha is 100% right in what she said in that interview. Stalking is not okay. People shouldn't be waiting outside hotels in the middle of the night and bothering her when she's with her husband especially considering that those same people could have gone to any number of meet and greets and met her there.   Sasha is not a 300lb man and her husband is not in the public eye. 

Sasha's husband is kinda in the public eye. He's been a regular on UUDD.

I like it when the Christmas shows and taped and non-canon.  The one where Del Rio ran over Santa was amazing. Making the roster work through the holidays is bullshit in my eyes. Yes, it used to be tradition but back then nobody was doing all these shows is the states plus flying to Asia plus flying to Europe plus flying to South America etc etc.   

Just now, Ace said:

Sasha's husband is kinda in the public eye. He's been a regular on UUDD.

I don't know if being on a sideshow youtube video counts as being a celebrity but what I do know is the video everyone is talking about took place on the Saturday night after Takeover.  That day Sasha had multiple signings (where these people could have attended),  make-a-wish obligations,  NXT obligations and now it's midnight or later and she wants to eat a pizza with her husband.  Does she owe the fans and the company 24 hours of the day? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

No fan is rearranging their holiday schedule to even watch a mailed-in wrestling show, let alone travel to one.

So what you're saying is, the rating will be a 0.0 and they'll be wrestling in front of an empty arena? Do you want to make a bet on that one?

I would not be shocked if the Christmas show does a huge crowd or even sells out. People will buy them as Christmas presents. Remember there is a reason the NBA has the Christmas Day tradition: it's a big draw.

30 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know if being on a sideshow youtube video counts as being a celebrity but what I do know is the video everyone is talking about took place on the Saturday night after Takeover.  That day Sasha had multiple signings (where these people could have attended),  make-a-wish obligations,  NXT obligations and now it's midnight or later and she wants to eat a pizza with her husband.  Does she owe the fans and the company 24 hours of the day? 

I haven't seen the video, but she absolutely deserves her privacy. A celeb doesn't owe the public 24/7.

1 hour ago, caley said:

Can't help but wonder if Raw on Christmas is a big Vince FU to people complaining about the schedule: "Oh you thought the schedule was tough?  Now you're working Christmas Day!"

Reminds me of the story in Foley's book where someone asked Bill Watts (when he was running WCW) if they couldn't leave before the matches were done because a lot of the wrestlers had family to go home to and Watts stopped and said "Yeah, it's a tough business for families" and that was it.

I think it was Watts who was also a big proponent of Thanksgiving and Christmas shows too. He said something like, "well you open your presents in the morning and eat turkey in the afternoon. What are you going to do at night?" Not a bad deal from a fan perspective but prob sucks ass for the workers. Especially nowadays b/c it's not like they're going to be living in or near whatever town the show is running in. It'd be one thing if you could spend time with your family in the morning/early afternoon and then drive 3 or 4 hours to the show like in the territories. There's probably not too much chance that a decent chunk of the roster would be living anywhere close to where they'd run one of those shows unless it was somewhere in South/Central Florida.

They haven't announced any locations yet. The only thing on the calendar at this moment for December is they apparently are running Toronto on Dec 30

So it wouldn't surprise me if they run the Xmas Raw and SDL in Florida - I would say 3/4 of the roster live somewhere in the state (maybe I am estimating high, who knows)

On 9/3/2017 at 1:26 PM, jstout said:

Wouldn't the WWE having an organized strength coach be an argument against the "independent contractors" thing?

Maybe they have them now, but I think the WWE no-brainer they've missed is not having tour buses for the talent. Put them on buses like they're Bon Jovi and they can rest on the bus to the next town. That also pokes holes in the independent contractors thing, though.

WWE pay people to train in order to work for WWE.  Assigning people to a "Performance Center" blows a huge hole in WWE labeling their wrestlers as independent contractors as something like that would classify them as employees.

21 minutes ago, BEN! said:

WWE pay people to train in order to work for WWE.  Assigning people to a "Performance Center" blows a huge hole in WWE labeling their wrestlers as independent contractors as something like that would classify them as employees.

But if the Performance Center is basically a wrestling school, then wouldn't they technically be "students" instead of employees?

6 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

But if the Performance Center is basically a wrestling school, then wouldn't they technically be "students" instead of employees?

Presumably, if they were students, they would be paying the wwe, not being paid to attend. Unless you could argue they are "on scholarship," to continue the metaphor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEN! said:

At this point, there are very few arguments that point to the independent contractor thing that I have heard anyone ever reasonably make. The other day I was listening to a podcast talking about the WWE "dress policy" and I got to thinking. Think about this. A company hires you to be in California to perform a job. It is entirely your responsibility and financial burden to get there. And the company tells you how you have to dress or you will be fined? You are not on their clock when you travel, nor do they pay for it. How is it even legal for them to tell you how to dress? That is absurd. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I heard WWE had everyone in Brooklyn set up at a Holiday Inn.  I guess that's cool if it's you or me but it sounds pretty cheap for a worldwide corporation. But then I guess it could have been worse and they could have made everyone pay for the weekend. 

"This match sucks. Who booked this guy?" 

"Oh, I'm not a wrestler. But, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

• Like 4
  • Haha 2