DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The Natural

1 hour ago, The Nature Boy said:

Honestly, we should just be happy that Vince didn't just slap a turban on an Italian guy and call him Indian. 

Chief Jay Strongbow and Muhammad Hassan show the versatility of Italians to seemingly play any "brown person" race, at least in the eyes of the McMahon Family. 

He was also Italian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Well, most forms of entertainment until maybe the last decade. How many Westerns were full of people playing Indians that were anything But? 

I mean, this hasn't really gone away. There was a movie that came out a few years back that had Brandon Routh (of Superman fame) playing a Native American. 

2 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

Honestly, we should just be happy that Vince didn't just slap a turban on an Italian guy and call him Indian. 

Chief Jay Strongbow and Muhammad Hassan show the versatility of Italians to seemingly play any "brown person" race, at least in the eyes of the McMahon Family. 

Vince probably watched F-Troop and Bonanza when he was young. Apparently he is well versed in pop culture up to when he began promoting. 

Also Dusty would definitely care about credit. Dusty is the one who created the Super Bowl Of Wrestling in the late 70's in Tampa, so he much like John Fogerty, he was plagiarizing himself. 

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The Cruz Azul-America match was postponed and that's one of the biggest sporting events in the entire country so this isn't surprising.

12 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

I mean, this hasn't really gone away. There was a movie that came out a few years back that had Brandon Routh (of Superman fame) playing a Native American. 

Check out the imdb of Cliff Curtis sometime.  He's Maori Australian  but plays Indians, Mexicans (he was in Training Day), Middle Eastern, Italian...essentially anyone "brown" or brownish.  Not defending McMahon, just saying Hollywood is just as shitty as WWE.

What I don't get is why WWE's push into the India market has to effect US tv. Why they can't just cut region specific backstage segments and give Jinder some secondary title. I don't think the Indian audience is smart to the business.

What was the name of the european wcw wrestler who would show up at the disney tapings but was only featured on some of the european syndicated deals?

9 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

What I don't get is why WWE's push into the India market has to effect US tv. Why they can't just cut region specific backstage segments and give Jinder some secondary title. I don't think the Indian audience is smart to the business.

What was the name of the european wcw wrestler who would show up at the disney tapings but was only featured on some of the european syndicated deals?

You're asking this question when they let Dolph go out on a weekly basis and nearly literally kill the crowd with his new bullshit gimmick.

28 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

...because Vince McMahon?

1 hour ago, JohnnyJ said:

Olympic wrestler Frank Andersson when the Scandinavian channel TV3 transfered from WWF programming to WCW in 1994. Apparently they paid WCW 3-times Andersson's wages for the rights. In return us Scandinavians got a Andersson squash match nearly each week along with some exclusive interviews with Andersson doing the interviewing. He often appeared in the studio in Sweden talking backstage stuff (should be noted that the Swedish commentators didn't do keyfabe).

So we should talk about this survey that WWE just sent out. Looks like they're floating the idea of a Premium Tier of the Network.  Gauging interest in the following:

• Special Live Events: Special one-time live events from unique locations around the world featuring an unexpected main event 
  • Ring of Honor: Historic and new programming from Ring of Honor
  • TV-14 In-Ring Show: A “new” weekly version of ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling) or other “edgy” new promotion rated TV-14
  • Original Scripted Comedies: Comedies such as WWE Superstar Roasts, Southpaw Regional Wrestling, or WWE’s version of “The Office” 
  • House Shows: For the first time ever, get a live, ringside view of select WWE house shows  
  • Original Scripted Dramas: Wrestling-themed series inspired by wrestling’s colorful and rich history such as WWE’s version of Game of Thrones
  • New Reality Shows: Reality shows featuring life on the road for WWE Superstars, an insider’s view of WWE Superstars’ intense training and workout regimens, WWE Superstar “Cribs”, WWE-style “Apprentice” to win a job at WWE, or WWE Legends’ House Season 2 – Attitude Era
  • TNA: Historic and new programming from TNA / Impact / Global Force Wrestling
  • Audio Channel: A section of WWE Network for “listening only” that provides audio play-by-play of pay-per-views, music playlists, “sports radio” style call-in shows and podcasts  
  • WWE “Director’s Cut”: Shows that put a new twist on classic content such as WWE Legends narrating historic pay-per-views or current WWE Superstars providing their perspective and analysis of classic matches and events 
  • Other Promotions: Historic and new programming from ICW, PROGRESS, New Japan Pro-Wrestling, or other regional Indie promotions
  • Tournaments: New in-ring tournaments such as a Pro Am style tournament (WWE vs. NXT), a Lucha tournament, a tag team tournament, or King / Queen of the Ring tournaments
  • Local Tournaments: Tournaments that take place in your home country featuring local talent similar to the WWE United Kingdom Championship Tournament which took place in England this year

New Reality Shows is the only one I gave an extremely negative mark to.  ROH/ECW/TNA though REALLY got my attention.  Same with a WWE vs NXT tournament. 

• Like 1