DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The Natural

I would love to see a WWE vs. NXT tournament similar to how they do with English football.  A few upsets could put some new guys over and help with exposure.  I really want to see new house shows on the network also. They did it a few times but we need more.  Like that much discussed "Starrcade" for example. 

• Like 1

I went down the rabbit hole of watching insane Scott Steiner promos on Youtube today and three different promos KILLED me.  

-When he dropped "Veni Vidi..Vucci" and you can hear one of the WCW announcers go "What?" with a slight laugh.  You just know someone taught him that phrase, or he heard it somewhere and figured he had it down then just goes out and...Steiners it.

-When he said to Mean Gene, talking about his freaks again "And they know they don't have to wait for the Earth to roate on a 47 degree axis so the stars can touch the sky and create an equilax so they can see the Big Dipper, no no no.  All they gotta do is call Big Poppa cuz I'm the man with the big dipper and satisfaction's coming when I go behind and do the bump and grind and it's only a matter of time before they call me the Big Bad Booty Daddy."  Mean Gene's face during this, especially when he says "equilax" is AMAZING.

-When he said "Well you see I come from a highly-educated university so when I come out here and see these white trash, I gotta dumb myself down but apparently that wasn't stupid enough for Christian Cage.  See, everybody knows American white trash is up here and then Canadian white trash is way down here.  So Christian Cage I've got a question for ya: what is it like roaming Earth the lowest form of homio sapiens there is!?"

If you've got 20 minutes, it's worth a watch.  You can see him call Ric Flair a "buttfucker", among other things.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So we should talk about this survey that WWE just sent out. Looks like they're floating the idea of a Premium Tier of the Network.  Gauging interest in the following:

• Special Live Events: Special one-time live events from unique locations around the world featuring an unexpected main event 
  • Ring of Honor: Historic and new programming from Ring of Honor
  • TV-14 In-Ring Show: A “new” weekly version of ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling) or other “edgy” new promotion rated TV-14
  • Original Scripted Comedies: Comedies such as WWE Superstar Roasts, Southpaw Regional Wrestling, or WWE’s version of “The Office” 
  • House Shows: For the first time ever, get a live, ringside view of select WWE house shows  
  • Original Scripted Dramas: Wrestling-themed series inspired by wrestling’s colorful and rich history such as WWE’s version of Game of Thrones
  • New Reality Shows: Reality shows featuring life on the road for WWE Superstars, an insider’s view of WWE Superstars’ intense training and workout regimens, WWE Superstar “Cribs”, WWE-style “Apprentice” to win a job at WWE, or WWE Legends’ House Season 2 – Attitude Era
  • TNA: Historic and new programming from TNA / Impact / Global Force Wrestling
  • Audio Channel: A section of WWE Network for “listening only” that provides audio play-by-play of pay-per-views, music playlists, “sports radio” style call-in shows and podcasts  
  • WWE “Director’s Cut”: Shows that put a new twist on classic content such as WWE Legends narrating historic pay-per-views or current WWE Superstars providing their perspective and analysis of classic matches and events 
  • Other Promotions: Historic and new programming from ICW, PROGRESS, New Japan Pro-Wrestling, or other regional Indie promotions
  • Tournaments: New in-ring tournaments such as a Pro Am style tournament (WWE vs. NXT), a Lucha tournament, a tag team tournament, or King / Queen of the Ring tournaments
  • Local Tournaments: Tournaments that take place in your home country featuring local talent similar to the WWE United Kingdom Championship Tournament which took place in England this year

New Reality Shows is the only one I gave an extremely negative mark to.  ROH/ECW/TNA though REALLY got my attention.  Same with a WWE vs NXT tournament. 

This makes me wonder if WWE and TNA or ROH have at least talked about putting their stuff on the Network. Seems weird that WWE would just float the idea without some reasonable certainty that it could happen.

And with AJ being a current WWE guy, TNA/ROH on the Network would be great for him. The same goes for Joe and Roode for that matter. 

I saw a photo of this past Smackdown's attendance. It looked so god awful. I understand the ebb and flow of wrestling. Which leads me to...

Am I crazy, or would Smackdown being permanently located to some place like Hammerstein be a good idea? It's a unique venue, SDL tends to cater to a somewhat different crowd (maybe, I dunno, I could be imagining things and I'm drunk posting). It'd look great and it's different than the Raw counterpart. Plus, they're all about cost-cutting at the moment.

I'm obviously not in the know regarding monetary shit, but I imagine it'd be cheaper to run the venue every week on some sort of deal and not make things look pathetic with 30% of an arena filled.

Any thoughts? Ideas that'll never happen? 

3 hours ago, caley said:

When I was still plying GTA online on the PS3 (but the rest of the crew had jumped up a generation) I used to leave my headset sitting on my laptop while that video was playing. So everyone in the lobby had to hear it.

• Like 3

Just for the record - this what was also asked about

They also asked subscribers how important it would be to them to get the following perks as subscribers

*First access to new merchandise

*Fan voting for certain matches, Slammy Awards and Hall of Fame inductees

*First access to breaking news before social media

*Gift rewards programs that would include T-shirts, ticket upgrades based on the length of time one has been a subscriber

*First access to live event tickets

*Sweepstakes entries to get WWE tickets, VIP meet and greets, merchandise and a chance to appear in a WWE Network show

*A monthly insider business conference call with executives like HHH and Stephanie McMahon

*Price breaks for VIP events, meet and greets and products

*Free shipping on WWEshop.com orders

Other things asked about included:

*The ability to share playlists, clips or favorites on social media

*The ability to watch WWE matches using alternative camera choices

*Ability to download content and watch offline

*The ability to watch historical events in a setting that makes it seem like you are sitting ringside using computer generated special effects

*Ability to create custom playlists and change the look and feel of your network interface

*Ability to rate matches from 0 to 5 stars

*Ability to choose different sets of commentators for PPV shows

*The ability to view in movie theater mode to watch virtually with friends or participate in a live event on Facebook where you can chat with other fans

I forgot that it was the fan voting of the HOF that scared me more than the star ratings

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

How exactly are scripted comedies and dramas an option when they apparently can't afford to let Edge and Christian continue to do a show with practically no budget that is basically them fucking around with cameras and sets?

In theory, the "premium tier" would pay for them to produce new shows.

Anyone know why Amazon Prime randomly has a shit ton of Memphis Wrestling on there? They basically have all of '90 and a lot of Best Ofs? Just seems like a curious amount of footage to randomly be camped out on a streaming site. I know that the Memphis rights are insane so I imagine this footage just got sold for a six-pack and a hot dog years back. 

Also, has this board ever done an essential Memphis to watch list? 

Also, thoughts on the survey: don't go about archival footage because I can't watch what they already  have. House shows being aired just become Network specials or further extensions of the weekly shows. Give me like another hour of NXT or indy shows and tournaments and I'll plunk down dollars. 

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

How exactly are scripted comedies and dramas an option when they apparently can't afford to let Edge and Christian continue to do a show with practically no budget that is basically them fucking around with cameras and sets?

My biggest fear is that a premium tier would allow them to do scripted comedies and dramas.  I'm trying hard not to envision how bad those shows would be.

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Anyone know why Amazon Prime randomly has a shit ton of Memphis Wrestling on there? They basically have all of '90 and a lot of Best Ofs? Just seems like a curious amount of footage to randomly be camped out on a streaming site. I know that the Memphis rights are insane so I imagine this footage just got sold for a six-pack and a hot dog years back.

I seriously doubt the rights to these were "sold." The quality of the shows look identical to what you can already find on YouTube.  

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

My biggest fear is that a premium tier would allow them to do scripted comedies and dramas.  I'm trying hard not to envision how bad those shows would be.

This feels like it could be the entire reason for them making the survey. "Hey marks, if you plunk down the cash to rate the matches, can we please spend your money on WWE Films garbage?"

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'm really curious how they determine these things because I've been a member since the second month of the Network yet I have never gotten a survey.

I got one and I haven't been a subscriber since Mania.

• Haha 1

I've canceled and resubscribed multiple times, and seem to get every survey they send out. Honestly, I think they're more likely to target viewers like me, who clearly have interest but don't commit every month. If you're "too loyal" then they don't feel the need to sell you on anything.

@Craig H I was a Day 1 subscriber and didn't receive the gift, either. I cancelled this year from just after Mania for a few months, and the first survey I ever received came less than week after restarting my subscription. 

On another note, I see Dolph's Twitter and he is the most aggressively unfunny MF'er on the planet. I see this shit he tweets and I just can't imagine how terrible his stand-up must be. 

Edited by RIPPA
Paste as Plain Text