DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The Natural

13 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I tend to define this as the class of guys after Cena/Brock/Batista/Orton and before the Shield. There's a lost generation in there, and even the ones who got a seat at the table lost it very quickly.

Oddly, I'm not close to tired of this current incarnation of Sheamus. 

Credit to The Miz for weathering many storms and becoming a made man.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I tend to define this as the class of guys after Cena/Brock/Batista/Orton and before the Shield. There's a lost generation in there, and even the ones who got a seat at the table lost it very quickly.

Oddly, I'm not close to tired of this current incarnation of Sheamus. 

Credit to The Miz for weathering many storms and becoming a made man.  

13 minutes ago, Zartan said:

They only care about network numbers ATM. 

Which is shortsighted at the least. Network subscribers are usually either hardcore fans or fans that are excited about the current tv. If ratings for television are down and so is live attendance, that would mean a lack of enthusiasm for the company which ties into network subscribers. If they want the Network to be what drives revenue, they still have to make tv compelling. They've got to find that balance and Roman Reigns and Jinder Mahal aren't it.

9 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Piggybacking off @JohnnyJ, I think of Ziggler's great matches: 1 was the 2014 Survivor Series, which was a multi-man, and his Ladder match with Luke Harper the following month. Luke Harper could carry me to a good match, if he had to. That's quite honestly all I can think of. 

He was the worst part of the Rusev-Lana-Summer angle, and that's saying something because that angle was abominable. His bumping is supposed to be an homage to Mr. Perfect, I guess, but it looks like more Shawn Michaels taking the piss out of Hulk Hogan. It's tiresome. 

Now, there are plenty of bad wrestlers who I don't actively hate like I do Ziggler, but most of them aren't so whiny or boastful on social media. Maybe he kayfabes on social media and I'm just a dumb mark getting worked, which kudos to him: He does a better job drawing heat there than on the show. But I kind of doubt that's the case. 

Rey Mysterio vs. Dolph Ziggler at SummerSlam 2009.

Dolph Ziggler cashes in the Money in the Bank contract against Alberto Del Rio the RAW after WrestleMania XXIX.

Ziggler vs. Del Rio double turn match at Payback 2013.

Bryan vs. Ziggler on the post WrestleMania XXXI RAW.

Kevin Owens vs. Dolph Ziggler on Main Event last year.

Ziggler vs. Del Rio Payback 2013 or the traditional Survivor Series 2014 match is his best, IMHO.

• Like 2

Dolph had a window and it closed. Happens to everyone. Honestly, it seemed a lock he would leave a few years back but he re-upped.

I mean, it's always hard to say but he's been an upper-midcarder, occasional main eventer for a decade and could do great things on the indies. He's a guy that seems to want creative freedom both in-ring and with his angles (for good or bad) so you could see him being...interesting...on the indies. I mean, I'd rather him be in the Cody spot right now. Like, every two-star Cody match this year against the best wrestlers in the world would be immeasurably better with Ziggler instead. 

• Like 2

Dave said in the new WON is that the plan is that Brock is gonna be gone for "several months" which seems to imply he isn't back till Rumble. (He said the plans now at least have Brock gone through Survivor Series)

So him burning a few dates now on house shows makes sense

13 hours ago, Hagan said:

Count me in the camp that think the Bucks are a fantastic team and I find their schtick great, especially this year where they've worked more traditional tags in NJPW built on the babyface-in-peril model. I also dig the vaudeville six-man stuff they've done in PWG and Europe.

I dunno...I think I've seen them in like five companies this year and can't recall an average match. This has been a sneaky good year for tag wrestling with the Usos being great and (hot take) BSS carrying PROGRESS but in-ring this has been the a very consistent year for the Bucks, especially against a wide variety of opponents.

I seen them for a while also and can't recall them not boring me to tears.

11 minutes ago, Ryan said:

He needs to be crushed.

I'm currently setting up him, Enzo and others to be the 2017 Job Squad in Fire Pro.  Them vs. the biggest and the baddest with fucked up mods will be quite a cathartic experience.

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Rey Mysterio vs. Dolph Ziggler at SummerSlam 2009.

Dolph Ziggler cashes in the Money in the Bank contract against Alberto Del Rio the RAW after WrestleMania XXIX.

Ziggler vs. Del Rio double turn match at Payback 2013.

Bryan vs. Ziggler on the post WrestleMania XXXI RAW.

Kevin Owens vs. Dolph Ziggler on Main Event last year.

Ziggler vs. Del Rio Payback 2013 or the traditional Survivor Series 2014 match is his best, IMHO.

I also just realized I'm a dolt for not including the Title vs. Career Match against The Miz last year, which was TREMENDOUS. Still, I'd say the list for a guy who's been around nearly a decade (in his current gimmick) and was touted as a super worker is incredibly short. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

CNN has a story on Ric Flair's upcoming 30 for 30 documentary.  Apparently, he brags/claims he's slept with approximately 10,000 women in his life.

Ric now regrets making that claim public because of his grandkids.

Yeah, i might regret whoring around because of the damage it would probably do to my kids and wife (wives), but, hey, that's just me.  Since 1971, Ric has only spent a couple months unmarried, so.....

This is why I pay very little attention to pro wrestlers once the cameras are off.  More you learn about them, less you like them.  Ric's the poster child for that.

Oh, and just in case this story isn't stupid enough, noted authority Ron Jeremy is weighing in (and getting press) to call bs on Ric's claim.  Ugh

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2735314-ric-flair-claimed-in-documentary-hes-slept-with-roughly-10000-women?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Edit: Guess the story originated on Bleacher Report.  That link is from the CNN site, though, so I guess there's some affiliation.

I can't believe Ric Flair liked to sleep around. It goes against his entire public persona. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Flair should be ashamed of himself.  Scott Steiner did 15000.

14 hours ago, just drew said:

Attendance WAYYYY down at TV tapings this week. Interesting to see if this pattern will continue...

It's comparable to this time last year.  Start of fall equals start of school.

3 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

I also just realized I'm a dolt for not including the Title vs. Career Match against The Miz last year, which was TREMENDOUS. Still, I'd say the list for a guy who's been around nearly a decade (in his current gimmick) and was touted as a super worker is incredibly short. 

I never really rated Dolph high as a Shawn Michaels-lite guy, because I never really rated Michaels that high. I know that is blasphemy, but both guys work was all ego driven to me. I prefer guys who work smart and enhance their opponents while working different styles than just being big bumpers and athletic showmen. Probably one of the reasons I also don't care for the Young Bucks.

• Like 1