DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The Natural

27 minutes ago, Casey said:

There's not a thread for that Starrcade house show, right?

Because apparently the Rock 'N Roll Express/Gallows & Anderson is a thing that's going to happen.

I'm guessing there will be a hot tag and the roof will blow off the place. 

And I just now brought it up to the wife sitting here and I do think as of right now I am going to that show. 

Dolph is solidly in the that-ship-has-sailed class from the late 00s/early 10s, but unlike MVP, Kennedy, Truth, or Morrison, he's stuck around and been consistently on WWE television doing more or less the same schtick the whole time. I can understand why people would be tired of it.

Ziggler is a try-hard who no longer tries within his chosen career. He's been mailing it in for a while. I get being upset over stalled pushes and crappy stories, but he's not the only one who deals with that. It isn't even that he's so bad in terms of his in-ring work. He's not as good as suggested, but he's fine enough. It's that he's become insufferable and he's run with this 'no one takes me seriously' angle for what, over two years? At least try to do something different. Change the ring gear to something more appealing, ask for a new theme song, maybe stop selling like a pinball on crack and look like you're taking your job seriously. Even a simple haircut would be an improvement. 

A guy like Ziggler can't afford to be smug. He's not a top-shelf act and there are too many in that midcard/upper midcard range who would happily take his spot. But if it's true that his contract expires next month, then so be it. He's adding nothing of value to SDL. Give that time to someone else. Luke Harper, for example.

• Like 1

my personal favorite doc is the Monday Night Wars, which my wife can attest to as i've watched it dozens of times.  i know it is full of inaccuracies (which i point out every time) but i can't help but love it.  the late 90s remains my favorite era in wrestling, and nostalgia is a bitter mistress.

runners up include WWE's ECW doc, the negative Ultimate Warrior one (so much fun to laugh at), and Chris Benoit Hard Knocks (deal with it).

So,  Satin reporting the Bucks got a c & d from WWE on the nWo Kliq symbol.

One can assume Monday's silliness annoyed someone enough to clap back on them. I mean, it's silly that a hand gesture is copyrighted but obviously it's WWE (by way of WCW IP).

1 minute ago, mattdangerously said:

Maybe they'll actually be forced to come up with something original, instead of blatantly ripping off everyone.

Count me in the camp that think the Bucks are a fantastic team and I find their schtick great, especially this year where they've worked more traditional tags in NJPW built on the babyface-in-peril model. I also dig the vaudeville six-man stuff they've done in PWG and Europe.

I dunno...I think I've seen them in like five companies this year and can't recall an average match. This has been a sneaky good year for tag wrestling with the Usos being great and (hot take) BSS carrying PROGRESS but in-ring this has been the a very consistent year for the Bucks, especially against a wide variety of opponents.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Hagan said:

So,  Satin reporting the Bucks got a c & d from WWE on the nWo Kliq symbol.

One can assume Monday's silliness annoyed someone enough to clap back on them. I mean, it's silly that a hand gesture is copyrighted but obviously it's WWE (by way of WCW IP).

Doesn't North Carolina State Wolfpack own the hand gesture?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Count me in the camp that think the Bucks are a fantastic team and I find their schtick great, especially this year where they've worked more traditional tags in NJPW built on the babyface-in-peril model. I also dig the vaudeville six-man stuff they've done in PWG and Europe.

I dunno...I think I've seen them in like five companies this year and can't recall an average match. This has been a sneaky good year for tag wrestling with the Usos being great and (hot take) BSS carrying PROGRESS but in-ring this has been the a very consistent year for the Bucks, especially against a wide variety of opponents.

True, but none of that makes Bullet Club anything other than a bootleg Kliq gimmick.

I've always thought the Bucks' excessive too-sweeting and crotch-chopping was intentional self parody, at least to a degree. Like, they know BC is a knockoff gimmick; but they didn't invent it or coopt the taunts that go along, and New Japan isn't ditching it for now--Elite exodus booking digression could go here, but won't.  

(I'm not really a fan of this approach, to be honest, but I think they're at least kinda sorta trying something with a faction business has demanded stick around way too long. I'd rather they just... do other stuff, but whatever.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

So, Cody and Brandi 's persecution complex fucked up Bullet Club...

I'm not surprised. 

This is what it comes down to.  As long as BC was at arm's length, WWE wouldn't bother going after them.  But Cody wails about Starrcade and along with this 'invasion', someone decided to put their foot down.  In other words, stay in your lane.

5 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Dolph is solidly in the that-ship-has-sailed class from the late 00s/early 10s, but unlike MVP, Kennedy, Truth, or Morrison, he's stuck around and been consistently on WWE television doing more or less the same schtick the whole time. I can understand why people would be tired of it.

I tend to define this as the class of guys after Cena/Brock/Batista/Orton and before the Shield. There's a lost generation in there, and even the ones who got a seat at the table lost it very quickly.

Oddly, I'm not close to tired of this current incarnation of Sheamus.