DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The Natural

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Must see wrestling documentaries? I've come up with:

Wrestling With Shadows.

The Rise and Fall of ECW.

Journey to WrestleMania: Daniel Bryan from his DVD.

Bret Hart's from Bret Hitman Hart: The Best There Is, Was and Ever Will Be DVD.

CM Punk's from CM Punk: Best In The World DVD.

Chris Jericho's from Breaking The Code: Behind The Walls of Chris Jericho DVD.

Southern Discomfort-Fred Olen Ray and Dave Friedman hold an Indy show in rural AL in the late 90s. Has Bob Armstrong,Iron Sheik, NWA Woman's champ Bambi,Peggy Lee Leather and a bunch of unknowns. Kind of hard to find now but worth tracking down.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Must see wrestling documentaries? I've come up with:

The GLOW one is great, especially if you've already watched the Netflix series.

Memphis Heat

Andy Kaufman: I'm From Hollywood 

MTV's True Life:  I'm a Professional Wrestler

And this is kinda cheating but I Like to Hurt People

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

As a 90s kid I would have lost my shit if Calloway came out as this Eggman:

hqdefault.jpg

Sadly the first Sonic game came out in 1991. If only Sega had made Sonic a launch title, what could have been...

45 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

The GLOW one is great, especially if you've already watched the Netflix series.

Memphis Heat

Andy Kaufman: I'm From Hollywood 

MTV's True Life:  I'm a Professional Wrestler

And this is kinda cheating but I Like to Hurt People

I'm partial to Grunt: The Wrestling Movie myself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Victator said:

I love "I'm from Hollywood", I saw it on Comedy Central a bunch of times. My first exposure to Memphis Wrestling. 

As good as the Memphis stuff is, the celebrities talking about Andy's wrestling career and absolutely playing it straight, acting like he had legit lost his mind makes it perfect.  

• Like 5

I was just thinking about I'm From Hollywood recently. It's really wild that it's essentially a Memphis comp strung together with the comedian interviews. It must've been on Comedy Central a couple times a week for years. I wonder what the story was there. Someone just bought the tapes and hustled the participants into thinking it was a straightforward doc about Andy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sasha said:

Sadly the first Sonic game came out in 1991. If only Sega had made Sonic a launch title, what could have been...

Curses!  Much like one of Eggman's plans my fantasy booking has been foiled!  Darn you, Sonic, darn you!!!

5 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Southern Discomfort-Fred Olen Ray and Dave Friedman hold an Indy show in rural AL in the late 90s. Has Bob Armstrong,Iron Sheik, NWA Woman's champ Bambi,Peggy Lee Leather and a bunch of unknowns. Kind of hard to find now but worth tracking down.

Anything Fred Olen Ray did is worth tracking down, most notably, allow me to suggest Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers with the greatest tagline in the history of ever... "They charge an arm and a leg!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nate said:

I'm partial to Grunt: The Wrestling Movie myself.

Yeah, decapitations are all too rare... Let me also suggest "Incredibly Strange Wrestling" and "I Like to Hurt People". Any pseudo-documentary that has Dusty Rhodes babbling about the Sheik is fucking money.

CNN has a story on Ric Flair's upcoming 30 for 30 documentary.  Apparently, he brags/claims he's slept with approximately 10,000 women in his life.

Ric now regrets making that claim public because of his grandkids.

Yeah, i might regret whoring around because of the damage it would probably do to my kids and wife (wives), but, hey, that's just me.  Since 1971, Ric has only spent a couple months unmarried, so.....

This is why I pay very little attention to pro wrestlers once the cameras are off.  More you learn about them, less you like them.  Ric's the poster child for that.

Oh, and just in case this story isn't stupid enough, noted authority Ron Jeremy is weighing in (and getting press) to call bs on Ric's claim.  Ugh

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2735314-ric-flair-claimed-in-documentary-hes-slept-with-roughly-10000-women?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Edit: Guess the story originated on Bleacher Report.  That link is from the CNN site, though, so I guess there's some affiliation.

• Like 1

Still don't understand the hate for Ziggler. Not like he's giving himself garbage material, and he's still one of the best athletes/workers around. I like Enzo, but I get why some people don't. Not a Davey Richards guy at all....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Still don't understand the hate for Ziggler. Not like he's giving himself garbage material, and he's still one of the best athletes/workers around. 

A lot of it is because no part of his act is working right now and it's cringe worthy.. my larger gripe is where are the matches? He's the show stealer who doesn't steal the show. Very rarely are his matches above average. 

Piggybacking off @JohnnyJ, I think of Ziggler's great matches: 1 was the 2014 Survivor Series, which was a multi-man, and his Ladder match with Luke Harper the following month. Luke Harper could carry me to a good match, if he had to. That's quite honestly all I can think of. 

He was the worst part of the Rusev-Lana-Summer angle, and that's saying something because that angle was abominable. His bumping is supposed to be an homage to Mr. Perfect, I guess, but it looks like more Shawn Michaels taking the piss out of Hulk Hogan. It's tiresome. 

Now, there are plenty of bad wrestlers who I don't actively hate like I do Ziggler, but most of them aren't so whiny or boastful on social media. Maybe he kayfabes on social media and I'm just a dumb mark getting worked, which kudos to him: He does a better job drawing heat there than on the show. But I kind of doubt that's the case.