DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The Natural

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Why dumb it down? Makes no sense. That sounds more like a Vince move than a HHH move. 

We might have more to be worried about than I thought

I think HHH-Jericho still have some issues. If this was with one of Hunter's guys, then I would be worried

So this is weird. Jericho told this exact story before on his podcast, but I forget to who. It was on one of his last wrestling centric episodes. Anyway, the way he told it then it was Vince who shot it down and wanted to water the angle down.

But now he's saying it's HHH who wanted to water it down?

You guys were right, Royal Rumble 99 is just dreadful.  The opening with Austin-Vince is so hot, crowd going nuts, then it's like the forgot to put the rest of the guys in any kind of order.  I mean, even the last stretch with Triple H trying to eliminate Austin (After just having helped Foley against the Corporation) makes no sense, and the last four people including D'Lo and Bossman is really weird.  And there's so much downtime, and so many times they cut away from the action to show Austin getting beat up, coming back, Undertaker kidnapping Mabel etc. etc. etc.  It's real bad.  About the only enjoyment I got out of the match is that it was one of those ones where someone put it up on Youtube and sped up/pitched the audio so WWE won't find and delete it and Vince with a high voice is AMAZING.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2017 at 9:40 PM, mattdangerously said:

It's this type of delusional thinking that led people to believe that Zack Ryder could be a main eventer.

I feel you, but at the same time, we live in a world where Jinder Mahal is WWE champion. Ever since JBL pleasantly surprised me with his title reign years ago, I've tried to be open minded to those kinds of pushes I guess-- at least in modern WWE where everything matters a bit less.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

If you wanna lose a lot of time today.

As a reminder from Twitter - the Herb Kunke's Tidbits Archive still exists

You owe it to yourself to at least read the ones from 1990, if only for this gem:

- Latest rumour about the egg at Survivor Series has Mark Calaway coming out and working as the Eggman. Doubtful, since Calaway will apparently work with Hogan and get a super push. I just can't picture Hulk Hogan and the Eggman.

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I feel you, but at the same time, we live in a world where Jinder Mahal is WWE champion. Ever since JBL pleasantly surprised me with his title reign years ago, I've tried to be open minded to those kinds of pushes I guess-- at least in modern WWE where everything matters a bit less.

JBL at least had an entertaining run in the APA before he got the main event push.  Jinder has never entertained anyone.

2 hours ago, caley said:

I mean, even the last stretch with Triple H trying to eliminate Austin (After just having helped Foley against the Corporation) makes no sense, and the last four people including D'Lo and Bossman is really weird.

In the case HHH trying to eliminate Austin, he still wanted the title shot and Austin is the biggest obstacle to that.

2 hours ago, caley said:

About the only enjoyment I got out of the match is that it was one of those ones where someone put it up on Youtube and sped up/pitched the audio so WWE won't find and delete it

I never get why people do this, beyond stealing views. I always find them unwatchable. Though with wrestling you can put it on mute. Some people do it with movies. 

2 hours ago, Sasha said:

You owe it to yourself to at least read the ones from 1990, if only for this gem:

I love that Hogan vs. Beefcake was not only a considered option for WM6, apparently in Herb's mind, it was the NUMBER ONE option.

At least back then there were options instead of the one and only game plan we've been stuck with for years.

And how sad is it that with that pitiful WM main event idea, WCW would still run with it four year later.

Hogan vs Brutus would have been a much bigger deal in 90. 

Brutus was close to Warrior in popularity and had a ongoing relationship with Hogan onscreen. I think at Summerslam, the WM 6 options would be Hogan vs Brutus and Hogan vs Zeus. I don't think anyone would think Hogan vs Warrior was viable. In some ways I think it hurt Warrior as champion, because the fanbase was divided. I know as a kid my class were really divided on them. 

• Like 3

Must see wrestling documentaries? I've come up with:

Wrestling With Shadows.

The Rise and Fall of ECW.

Journey to WrestleMania: Daniel Bryan from his DVD.

Bret Hart's from Bret Hitman Hart: The Best There Is, Was and Ever Will Be DVD.

CM Punk's from CM Punk: Best In The World DVD.

Chris Jericho's from Breaking The Code: Behind The Walls of Chris Jericho DVD.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Must see wrestling documentaries? I've come up with:

Wrestling With Shadows.

The Rise and Fall of ECW.

Journey to WrestleMania: Daniel Bryan from his DVD.

Bret Hart's from Bret Hitman Hart: The Best There Is, Was and Ever Will Be DVD.

CM Punk's from CM Punk: Best In The World DVD.

Chris Jericho's from Breaking The Code: Behind The Walls of Chris Jericho DVD.

Beyond The Mat

Also a personal favourite is the Louis Theroux episode where he visits the WCW Power Plant and Sarge has Louis doing cardio until he pukes and admits to resembling a dying cockroach on the ground.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Victator said:

I never get why people do this, beyond stealing views. I always find them unwatchable. Though with wrestling you can put it on mute. Some people do it with movies. 

If you're watching Youtube on a computer (rather than via your TV box or game system or whatever) you can change the playback speed in the bottom right. Put a video that's showing at 150% speed at 75% speed, and you're watching it in it's original format, only with worse VQ.It's like having a 90s flashback and watching a third-gen VHS.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

If you wanna lose a lot of time today.

As a reminder from Twitter - the Herb Kunke's Tidbits Archive still exists

Good stuff.  This also reminded me how much I miss the Wrestling Observer quotes thread from like four versions of the board ago.  That was always some fun reading.  

10 hours ago, Sasha said:

- Latest rumour about the egg at Survivor Series has Mark Calaway coming out and working as the Eggman. Doubtful, since Calaway will apparently work with Hogan and get a super push. I just can't picture Hulk Hogan and the Eggman.

As a 90s kid I would have lost my shit if Calloway came out as this Eggman:

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:

If you're watching Youtube on a computer (rather than via your TV box or game system or whatever) you can change the playback speed in the bottom right. Put a video that's showing at 150% speed at 75% speed, and you're watching it in it's original format, only with worse VQ.It's like having a 90s flashback and watching a third-gen VHS.

Sometimes they up-pitch the audio before uploading it, so you can't really do much about that. Also, it will be mirrored and in a smaller box in the bottom right corner while it also plays behind itself. And if you're really lucky, it will use some filter to look like a fourth grader discovering Paint Shop Pro in 1999.

• Like 1