DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The Natural

On 9/21/2017 at 3:46 PM, Zartan said:

I'm pretty sure Ziggler's stand up career died a mega death before it ever got started. 

That was the moment where my growing disinterest in Dolph became disdain instead

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

I always counted the 2011 Royal Rumble as the among the worst if not the absolute bottom of the barrel. So much nonsense and dead time and it goes an extra 10 guys and the end is such a let down. 

As seen in the latest DVDVR!

http://deathvalleydriver.com/dvdvr180/

#shameless plug

• Like 3

16 hours ago, alstein said:

Does anyone here know how good Wrestlecade is as an event- decided to pick that event over Starcade for that weekend.  My main goals are seeing Penta and Fenix in person, and getting something for a friend from Johnny Mundo.

Honestly the meet and greet felt a lot like the fan convention in "The Wrestler" but more optimistic.  Penta and Fenix are only going to be there on Friday night at the Friday wrestling event with a meet and greet, so not at the Saturday Fan Fest.

On 9/22/2017 at 11:57 PM, sydneybrown said:

1999 is the worst Rumble ever.  Austin and McMahon starting out the match and then spending the vast majority of it nowhere near the ring made the whole thing a fucking joke.  The entire hour was almost complete filler.

At least 95 knew it was going to suck and they just got the whole thing over with.

And all the signs in the crowd in 99. The worst.

• Like 1

Nice show by AAA last night on Twitch.  Great commentary by Borash and Vampiro.  

It was good to watch a show where you could just relax and not have to worry about storylines or the other garbage.

Twitch chat was a blast.  People not understanding the concept of a 'heel' ref had me laughing.  Yes, in Mexico they have face and heel refs!

Texano and Marty were the standout guys last night.  If this was a huge audience they would be all over the net today.

Sportskeeda FINALLY fired Billi Bhati. Good fucking riddance. As obnoxious as rovert is, Billi is miles worse. I'm not going to look to it here, but basically Billi was bragging about how women should be objectified and Aleister motherfucking Black put him in his place.

• Like 2

I've heard of Sportskeeda but only in the past month or so.  Never heard of Bill.

I'm leery of Sportskeeda.  Site reminds me a lot of those wacky sites I see when I use Google to search for deadstock Nikes and come upon 100 sites selling obvious fakes and using Engrish phrases in their return policy. 

On 9/22/2017 at 6:57 PM, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

95 is the worst rumble ever. 97 at least has some star power and the great Austin reaction to Bret coming out. 

I rewatched 95 because of this post and I liked it miles better than 97, until the last 10 or so guys and then it got remarkably boring.

Then I rewatched 96 and it was just terrible.  You can tell Shawn is at the height of his influence with McMahon here, as the match just kind of plods along with tons of guys no one really cares about, and the big storyline is Lawler hiding under the ring that the cameras spot but none of the wrestlers.  Then Shawn comes out, drags Lawler out and eliminates him, killing that story dead; sends Owen packing relatively quickly which puts an end to the "Owen put Shawn out of action" story right quick and also SINGLE-HANDEDLY eliminated Yokozuna and the debuting Vader at the same time!  All the big spots and eliminations are by Shawn.  It's just ridiculous and annoying.  

The only really memorable thing was the one guy from the Squat Team (Headhunters) comes out, gets eliminated and as he's on the way back to the ring, his brother comes out, so he marches back down to the ring because nobody knows which one is which, and then they both get eliminated really quickly.

It's also quite staggering just how quickly Mabel went from monster-push to basically buried.  He won KOTR in the summer, had a big push after that, including a feud with the Undertaker which is where they soured on him for breaking Taker's face, and in the Rumble he is there a little bit than eliminated rather easily by a way-too-big Yokozuna with little fanfare.

Okay - so during the Baron Corbin/Apollo Crews Backlash kickoff match from last year - Corbin does this Choke Slam/STO thing that actually looked neato.

I have no memory of him doing before or after that match.

I am old or forgetful or is this something he did and someone told him to knock that shit off? (To be fair - Crews wasn't afraid to be totally whiplashed by the move)

On 9/23/2017 at 4:57 AM, sydneybrown said:

1999 is the worst Rumble ever.  Austin and McMahon starting out the match and then spending the vast majority of it nowhere near the ring made the whole thing a fucking joke.  The entire hour was almost complete filler.

At least 95 knew it was going to suck and they just got the whole thing over with.

Word. I remember staying up for the 1999 Rumble (1am start ON A SCHOOL NIGHT in the UK) and being a zombie at school the next day. So when you add that to the bullshit you point out I do not have fond memories 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

But HE WAS BETTER THAN MELTZER!!!!

But yeah - I didn't hear of him until last week when he had a different meltdown that folks on wrestling twitter kept referencing

He's someone who was on UK Big Brother around a decade ago, tried to use his brief fame to work indies as Billi Lightning, then disappeared from the public view. He's the worst kind of Twitter know-it-all in that he's always wrong. Finest example was him telling Jimmy Havoc he'd never wrestle a match for WWE...the day after Havoc wrestled for WWE at WrestleMania Access

In this case, he seemed to think it was ok for people to chant "get your tits out" at a 17yr old girl wrestling because wrestling has historically used women for eye candy, and "no one actually cares about women's wrestling". He's either a troll or an idiot, probably both.