DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The Natural

37 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Brock Lesnar got his fucking ass kicked in UFC his last few fights and people nearly stormed Titan Towers  with torches when he lost his first match to Cena.

You know the difference between Brock and Rousey? Brock already had value as a former WWE main eventer. There is no real value to making a regular look like shit losing to her. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hagan said:

Rousey is a C-celebrity? She's the second most famous MMA fighter in the world and is a genuine mainstream star.

Honestly, if they can get her they should have her beat Asuka at 'mania. None of the other Horsewomen are anywhere near hot enough.

A bigger issue with the proposed match is can you throw the jobbers Rousey hangs out with on live TV without it turning into a fiasco? 

I feel pretty confident even after getting her ass KICKED TWICE, she could still headline a UFC show because her fanbase still wants that comeback.  It's like when Ali was clearly done, people were all-in on the next fight anyway.

It's funny, I always thought the whole point of bringing Ronda in was so Steph could look like a badass lasting longer than her real competitors did.  But I really feel WM could be headlined by Ronda-Asuka.  If they "really" want to break that barrier, that's the match.  Let Asuka murder people, remind people Ronda can still be a killer.  I would pay money.

And this most likely still ends with Steph/Ronda and Asuka suffering her first loss before the year ends.  Because you know those NXT people gotta pay their dues...   And you know, we need one McMahon to win matches...

I agree, I think Steph would be the way to go. It wouldn't have to be competitive, it could just be laid out like all of Vince's matches where he gets his ass kicked then gets a control segment because of interference. Steph gets her arm taken and taps in 15 minutes, including entrances. 

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Why do people assume if anything happens with Rousey it will be beyond a Horsewomen vs. Horsewomen match?

Probably my fault for bringing it up - if I'd known it would turn this into a fantasy booking thread I would have just kept my big mouth shut.

8 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Because there's more money in a Rousey singles match vs. Charlotte of Asuka (or whoever)?

Probably, but WWE would likely have an easier time getting the UFC to agree to a tag match where Rousey has to rarely ever enter opposed to an actual singles match.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Probably, but WWE would likely have an easier time getting the UFC to agree to a tag match where Rousey has to rarely ever enter opposed to an actual singles match.

Maybe not.  Dana owes Vince for letting Spike air the first season of Ultimate Fighter, and Ronda's value to the UFC isn't as high as it used to be.

13 hours ago, (BP) said:

I agree, I think Steph would be the way to go. It wouldn't have to be competitive, it could just be laid out like all of Vince's matches where he gets his ass kicked then gets a control segment because of interference. Steph gets her arm taken and taps in 15 minutes, including entrances. 

We know it would not go like that. Steph would work a hold for two hours then somehow win. 

People might know her, but people know garbage and they don't want that either. 

Remember when Brock was supposed to murder Triple H and what we got was 15 minutes of spots built around a Kimura?

I do now want to see Steph rolling in and out of holds for any length of time.

8 woman tag at Survivor Series. Rhonda's team goes over after Sasha and Bailey have a miscommunication.

Next night Rhonda is thankong the fans and we get Asuka down to call her out for Mania.

Pure. Sports. Build.

Chickenwing Vs Armbar.

Works perfectly underneath whatever combo of Cena/Brock/Reigns/Strowman we get for the title.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ryan said:

You're more likely to see Shane training Steph in Shane-jitsu with the help of Undertaker and tapping out Rousey in 3 minutes with a gogoplata.

At least they'd be putting over the person who'd be there the next week?

• Like 1

Why bother with submissions, when WWE (basically) allows closed fists? We've seen what McMahon boxing can do--so powerful that even the misses hurt!--and we know Rousey's stand-up hasn't improved; there's no way she has an answer if Steph can master this.

punchy6.gif

• Like 1

Probably the last update on why Baron Corbin was "punished" and this one has layers

Regarding the situation with Corbin that was talked about last week, it all stemmed from a wrestlers meeting with Dr. Joseph Maroon that took place in early August. Maroon was there to talk about medical issues, concussion protocol and other issues. There were reports that Maroon was playing down the link between concussions and CTE, and Corbin started arguing with him, and said how could they trust what he was saying and accused Maroon of being the guy who covered up and denied the CTE story and link to football which was how the “Concussions” movie played out. Others have said the movie mischaracterized Maroon as the villain in the story. Maroon himself claims to be the one who brought attention of Dr. Bennett Omalu’s work to the NFL. It was said that the argument was uncomfortable to watch. Corbin was said to be pretty informed on the subject in the argument and there was a feeling he had valid questions but that he should have addressed them privately rather than taking over the meeting. It also came out in the discussion that Corbin was one of the players suing the NFL in a concussion lawsuit, which makes things weird given he’s now working as a pro wrestler, plus WWE apparently wasn’t aware of this fact until this past month

The question is whether or not Ronda will have the air of legitimate badassery that Brock had when he came back. Sure, Brock got whipped in his last couple fights, but a) there was the whole bout with diverticulitis and b) he eventually won in his UFC comeback (gas or not). This is in addition to the fact, as victator mentioned, that Brock was a huge star in WWE before he left. It's just an apples to oranges comparison for me

• Like 1