DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The Natural

If I had to guess, they probably wanted more money.

Watch TNA hire them and make a huge deal about it, like when they hired that guy who cut all the Attitude Era hype vids for WWE and acted like it was some earth-shattering move.

36 minutes ago, Hagan said:

A buddy just texted me "hey, what's the deal with Jeff Jarrett?" A lot of places to go with that.

I called him and gave him the basic career history. Jarrett has really had a fascinating career. He's a guy I would love to read a bio of. Memphis/New Generation/Monday Night Wars/Attitude Era/helping kill WCW/TNA etc. Dude has really been at the flash point for a lot of good and bad shit in wrestling. 

His "TNA to GFW back to TNA which is now GFW" move would be interesting by itself, but that's just the past few years of a multiple decade career through madness. An honest autobiography would be a great read.

Jarrett gets a bad rap but I enjoyed his two WWE runs. His WCW runs were mostly garbage and he should be eternally shamed for giving Russo employment but I don't condemn him for pushing himself in TNA. When he decided to wrestle he was pretty good, but got way too caught up in the garbage walk and brawl/overbooked Russo-esque atrocities that plagued WCW and TNA. 

Also, since I'm speaking about Jeffs, am I insane for thinking Jeff Hardy is a WON HOF contender? Was thinking about this recently. One of the most over babyfaces of the last twenty years in an era where babyfaces don't connect. Was probably the hottest babyface in the country during the last part of his WWE run and headlined PPVs. Was the bigger star in a legitimately over and influential tag-team . Helped popularize the TLC style of match, which changed wrestling. Has shown to be a draw for smaller promotions like TNA and the indies. I would assume he was a decent draw in WWE, as much as anyone can be.

I think it's an interesting discussion. I mean, yeah...the drug issues are terrible and he never had a sustained run as a WWE main eventer (though if he had stuck around he probably would have). In-ring work has been hit and miss, too but I think he's an interesting case when you consider the requirements involved. 

• Like 1

Jeff Hardy is a hall of fame contender, has an unorthodox styles that he has perfected and can work with anyone. He even got good matches out of Triple H once Triple H started only wrestling one style. He was even a draw in TNA where no one was a draw (bet he still sells the most t shirts there). He has a strong connection with the audience which might not be easy to explain but its evident. Yes he's had his demons and his fair share of bad matches but his bad matches have more to do with laziness and substance problem and less to do with actually ability or not being able to carry a match. I want to see one last main event run out of Jeff. Jeff vs Braun in a TLC match for the Universal Championship would be awesome. 

54 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Also, since I'm speaking about Jeffs, am I insane for thinking Jeff Hardy is a WON HOF contender? Was thinking about this recently. One of the most over babyfaces of the last twenty years in an era where babyfaces don't connect. Was probably the hottest babyface in the country during the last part of his WWE run and headlined PPVs. Was the bigger star in a legitimately over and influential tag-team . Helped popularize the TLC style of match, which changed wrestling. Has shown to be a draw for smaller promotions like TNA and the indies. I would assume he was a decent draw in WWE, as much as anyone can be.

I think it's an interesting discussion. I mean, yeah...the drug issues are terrible and he never had a sustained run as a WWE main eventer (though if he had stuck around he probably would have). In-ring work has been hit and miss, too but I think he's an interesting case when you consider the requirements involved. 

Jeff's WON HOF candidacy is pretty straightforward, but the similar question: The Hardy Boyz are likely WON HOFers themselves- but is both Jeff AND Matt worth the WON HOF as singles? Matt also popularized the TLC style of match. Matt was never the bigger star compared to Jeff, but he was also a draw for TNA and the indies, and he was far more able to reinvent himself over and over again successfully, and many of those reinventions were either important for the business (the Brokenverse basically saving TNA's existence until Anthem could remake them)  or could be seen as incredibly influential to the business (for better or worse, the aftermath of the Matt/Lita/Edge storyline and how it was used was pretty much the first ever "Reality Era" storyline). 

CFO$ is low-key a big loss for WWE. Pretty much everything they've put out in the last 3-4 years has been really good, at least for NXT.

Could you imagine Bobby Roode's NXT run being anywhere near as successful with Cass' singles theme?

I am sure that has been mentioned a few times here but I heard John Cena's entrance music being used for a Camry commercial.    Has a WWE produced song been used for a commercial before?  I don't mean a national song that the WWE made more famous like Eye of the Tiger 

21 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

More like "finally" pin Raven.  Dreamer pinned him on a house show match early on in their feud, but it was never acknowledged.  

IIRC the story behind that is that one of the big names on the show had to miss the booking for some reason and the general booking rule is that if you have a significant no show the face goes over in the main event.

17 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I am sure that has been mentioned a few times here but I heard John Cena's entrance music being used for a Camry commercial.    Has a WWE produced song been used for a commercial before?  I don't mean a national song that the WWE made more famous like Eye of the Tiger 

Columbia Records probably licensed it out, with Cena and WWE getting a cut of the money that Camry paid them to use it.

22 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I don't mean a national song that the WWE made more famous like Eye of the Tiger 

Eye of the Tiger was enormous well before it was used as a wrestling theme. I don't think even WWE revisionist history tries to take credit for any of its success.

I didn't even know Hulk Hogan used "Eye of the Tiger" as a theme song until I googled it. It's always been "Real American" or the later NWO themes for me. I can't even hum "American Made", I'm drawing a blank on that one, too. Mainly because I was never a WCW guy, and I didn't start watching wrestling until around early 1998.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Hogan coming out to Eye of the Tiger was awesome. I always hated Real American.

Fun fact: Real American was originally intended for Barry Whindam and Mike Rotundo.

18 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Wrestler has bad kicks at a house show taped on a phone...alert the media.

I have alerted the media. They are investigating and will be calling you for your thoughts on the matter soon. An expose in the Daily Mail is coming.

4 hours ago, Boydy said:

Do you think Byron Saxton would get over as a wrestler if he had Roode's theme music and gimmick.

For a couple of weeks, yes. When he utterly failed to back it up in the ring or on the mic, it would die off in a hurry.

Roode lived up the song and then some. But Roode's been one of the best heels on the planet for a decade.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Saxton is a trained wrestler right? surprised they haven't had a wrestler get a little too overzealous and get physical with him after a dispute yet leading to a match.

Enzo is a trained wrestler too. Saxton was trained but he's terrible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Saxton is a trained wrestler right? surprised they haven't had a wrestler get a little too overzealous and get physical with him after a dispute yet leading to a match.

He was in FCW for a year or two as a wrestler, but moved into managing other wrestlers and eventually commentary.  I think he did a season of NXT when it was in a game-show format, too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Hogan coming out to Eye of the Tiger was awesome. I always hated Real American.

Hogan and Mr. T coming out to Eye of the Tiger for WM1 along with Piper entering with an actual bagpipe contingent has to be the greatest dual set of entrances in history.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I didn't even know Hulk Hogan used "Eye of the Tiger" as a theme song until I googled it. It's always been "Real American" or the later NWO themes for me. I can't even hum "American Made", I'm drawing a blank on that one, too. Mainly because I was never a WCW guy, and I didn't start watching wrestling until around early 1998.

Oy, thanks for making me feel old. "EotT" is structurally an ideal theme song. I am thee farthest thing from a Hogan fan, but I will never forget his first MSG title defense (02/20/84 I looked it up (oy pt. 2)) - the loudest pop I have ever heard for his entrance.

- RAF

36 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

He was in FCW for a year or two as a wrestler, but moved into managing other wrestlers and eventually commentary.  I think he did a season of NXT when it was in a game-show format, too.

I did not know that my first memory of him was ECW commentator but I remember seeing a photo of him in an Apter Mag as a wrestler and he was jacked.