DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The Natural

55 minutes ago, caley said:

It could be worse...they could bring up Percy Watson.

I'm on the fence about Corino.  He can be quite good and entertaining, but he also runs jokes into the GROUND.

So he's perfect for WWE commentary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm watching the video of Corino talking to a WWE cameraman at the Performance Center, and honestly the gig marks on his forehead just look like age wrinkles now.

But with WWE being HD, who knows what it could look like.

High-Def-Liz-Lemon.gif

• Like 2

re: Layfield leaving 

Why can't it just be a two man booth? I'm tired of always having to have three guys bickering. 

I don't mind Byron. If he was allowed to be an actual commentator, instead of being on the ass end of stupid "jokes", he could become something. 

Tom has become quite good at his main role now, I enjoy him, and he looks to be further escalating in rank. Byron isn't awful, he could get there if they dropped the "let's get a dig in on Saxton" bullshit.

8 hours ago, Web Conn said:

So who's the third man? Please for the love of God don't be King. I'd take Sam Roberts over King. Ranallo isn't coming back to the main roster. Shit maybe the have it be R-Truth, I'd be ok with that.

What about Nigel?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Omega said:

According to Pro Wrestling Times, WWE's theme song composers CFO$ are no longer with the company.

That would suck. They've been great at modernizing the sound after the three decades of Johnston.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

Starrcade 97 honestly makes me sad in retrospect. The match should've involved Sting just crushing Hogan, winning the belt and then feuding with a debuting heel Bret (with Davey Boy and Neidhart) at his side. You already had a natural "champion" vs. champion feud there and most of Bret's posse from his days as WWF Champion were even with him. 

The nWo then crumbles as it did just months later with Nash and Hall forming the Wolfpac and Hogan leading nWo Hollywood. The nWo could've fucked around with each other in the upper midcard while Sting and Bret feud over the belt. Eventually, the Wolfpac end up as the heels when Hogan makes his big return in the Red and Yellow. Nash becomes the new leader of the reunified nWo, they challenge Sting again for the championship, and Sting lays waste to the Wolfpac, thus killing the nWo for good. 

Sting really just needed a good, long, badass run with the belt but egos got in the way of what made good business sense. I also imagine that you build to Sting vs. Goldberg at Starrcade 98 where Sting's year long reign is put up against THE STREAK. Goldberg wins the belt from Sting, ends the reign and we get a handshake, passing of the torch type moment. 

I likey this. The fucked up booking at Starrcade 1997 after the great build to Sting vs. n.W.o. and Hollywood Hogan still annoys me. Sting batters Hollywood Hogan beating him clean for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship and has matches with Bret Hart and Goldberg. Sting n.W.o. Wolfpac is by far my least favourite version of the Stinger. Yeah, I'm not a Hogan fan ; ). 

16 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Back to Austin vs Bret WM13, it's a really good match and Austin's coming out party and truly a classic match but dare I say that I enjoy Austin vs Bret from Survivor Series 96 just a bit better. in the grand scheme of things the WM match is the "better" match but the SS match isn't anything to sneeze at either they kick the shit out each other all around ringside. the SS match is the more overlooked match but it's a classic in its own right.

Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin at Survivor Series is indeed a classic match, I gave that the full ***** too. You get the story whether Bret Hart can still go after the long layoff, the two punch exchanges won by one and taken by the other, Bret doing a top rope elbow drop instead of his middle one. Steve Austin hits Bret with the Stone Cold Stunner but Bret's too close to the ropes but by dragging him away, it gives Bret time to kickout and protects the Stunner. Austin wants to submit Bret and brings back the Million Dollar Dream but Bret wins with the WrestleMania VIII finish against Roddy Piper, kicking back from the turnbuckle with his weight on top for the three.

4 hours ago, Omega said:

According to Pro Wrestling Times, WWE's theme song composers CFO$ are no longer with the company.

This is a big disappointment as Brian points out. CFO$ memorable themes include AJ Styles' Phenomenal, Shinsuke Nakamura's The Rising Sun, Bobby Roode's Glorious, Sasha Banks' Sky's the Limit and the Revival's Southern Proud.

A buddy just texted me "hey, what's the deal with Jeff Jarrett?" A lot of places to go with that.

I called him and gave him the basic career history. Jarrett has really had a fascinating career. He's a guy I would love to read a bio of. Memphis/New Generation/Monday Night Wars/Attitude Era/helping kill WCW/TNA etc. Dude has really been at the flash point for a lot of good and bad shit in wrestling. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

Roode's career was made before he ever went to NXT. 

He would not have debuted to a hero's welcome on Smackdown without that theme.  It clearly elevated him to another level beyond what his meager talents had achieved to that point.

• Like 1

Saxton should be the ring announcer, not a commentator. Went to a house show where he was the ring announcer/master of ceremonies, and he was great. But he sucks at the announce table, and a two man booth of him and Young Boy Tom would be brutal to listen to.

If Steve Corino is banned from using the word superkick, he is probably the best answer currently in the company.

I'd be really curious to learn why CFO$ is leaving WWE,  if it's as simple as their contract is up and they want to move on to other projects or with Nakamura and Roode's themes blowing up in the mainstream like they have if there are other larger opportunities opening up for them. I'd also be curious what the music rights/royalties situation is like for them. Knowing WWE it can't be great.