DVDVR Message Board

SEPTEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

The Natural

I read the PRIDE Secret Files some years ago and I posted some cliff notes of it on Sherdog.

Here's the wrestling side related of it for those of you interested:

The pro-wrestling influence was key in PRIDE since their foundation. Another idea KRS had in mind, was setting up dream matches between pro-wrestling and Vale Tudo fighters.

Some of the pro-wrestlers KRS had in mind for these dream matches were Akira Maeda, Masakatsu Funaki, Kiyoshi Tamura, Minoru Suzuki, Shinya Hashimoto, Riki Choshu, Mitsuharu Misawa and a series of other U-System wrestlers.

Many of these pro-wrestlers declined the offers to fight in PRIDE as they were superstars in pro-wrestling already and accepting the offer would've meant they would've had to fight on the under card below the the Takada vs. Rickson main event and they felt that would've hurt their stock.

PRIDE also planned on creating their own version of Tiger Mask. KRS approached pro-wrestler Tiger Mask 4 who was wrestling for Michinoku Pro at the time, but nothing ever materialized. The other fighters they thought of turning into Tiger Mask's were Guy Mezger and Kiyoshi Tamura.

The idea was to have Tamura as the main Tiger Mask character. They had scheduled an anime to go along with the character similar to the original Tiger Mask anime series, but the idea never materialized as the creators of the anime backed out.

PRIDE wanted to book famous American pro-wrestler Big Van Vader who made a name for himself in Japan. However due to his poor physical condition, PRIDE retracted that idea and opted not to.

Shigeru Saeki's DEEP organization was originally scheduled to be a pro-wrestling organization that then ended up turning into an MMA organization.

DEEP original matchups were scheduled being Nobuhiko Takada vs. Cactus Jack and the Road Warrios, Hawk and Animal vs. NO FEAR, Yoshihiro Takayama and Takao Omori.

Yuji Shimada advised Saeki about negotating a talent exchange relationship with WWE.

All of Saeki's ideas feel through and talks with several Brazilian fighters such as Royler Gracie kicked off and a strong relationship with Pancrase began and DEEP changed it's idea and turned into an MMA organization.

Similar to PRIDE's original idea of pro-wrestlers vs. MMA fighters, DEEP tried putting on several fights featuring pro-wrestlers vs. MMA fighters including Kengo Watanabe vs. Road Warrior Animal, however that feel through as Animal turned down the fight, Minoru Suzuki vs. Kiyoshi Tamura, but Tamura turned down the fight, Sanae Kikuta vs. Ricardo Arona, but Arona turned down the fight, Suzuki vs. Wataru Sakuta, but the fight never materialized.

Masakatsu Funaki pitched Saeki the idea of Yoshiki Takahashi vs. Sakata, but the Pancrase president, Mr. Ozaki turned down the fight.

Another fight that Saeki tried to put together was Minowaman vs. Japanese ZERO-ONE pro-wrestler Tatsuhito Takaiwa. The plan for the fight came up after Minowaman tried a piledriver in his fight with Paulo Filho. In the post fight interview Minowaman expressed he would try a death valley bomb in one of his fights which is a move Takaiwa has been using as one of his main finishers in pro-wrestling matches. Takaiwa accepted the fight Minowaman, but ZERO-ONE management turned it down.

Saeki came up with the idea of potentially booking Osaka Pro comedy pro-wrestler Ebessan in an fight on a DEEP card after there was talk of Ebessan potentially taking on Alistair Overeem at the 2003 Inoki Matsuri NYE event.

Saeki also tried booking pro-wrestling NOSAWA Rongai in a fight, but it never materialized.

Other fights Saeki tried to put together include Yuki Kondo vs. Hayato "Mach" Sakurai and a fight between pro-wrestlers Kim Duk and the Cobra George Takano. Duk accepted the fight, but Takano turned it down.

Another fight Saeki thought of making was Yuki Kondo vs. Hayato "Mach" Sakurai, but he opted not to even try to put it on because he knew it would be a problematic fight to put on.

Saeki also tried putting a fight between pro-wrestlers Kim Duk and the Cobra George Takano. Duk accepted the fight, but Takano turned the fight down.

I posted more cliff notes on Sherdog forum. If you'd like to read the rest including the MMA portion such as them negotiating for a Mike Tyson world tour featuring boxing matches against Fedor Emelianenko and Mirko Cro Cop, Kiyoshi Tamura vs. Evander Holyfield, "Sugar" Ray Leonard or Oscar de la Hoya and such, please visit this link: PRIDE Secret Files.

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

I started lifting in the 8th grade for football and everything was super regimented for safety.  Anyone under the age of 16 had to bench with 3 spotters, one on each side and one by the head.  I probably gained more strength between 8th and 9th grade, because I was taught form first, and wasn't allowed to add more weight until I was able to do 3 sets of 10 with perfect form at my current weight.  The thing I started to realize was how many athletes from other sports used to come to football weight training, even if they had no desire to play football.  They all said, that all of the other sports weight training was looked at as something extra.  You go to the weight room, hang out, joke around, and maybe lift some weights.  If you are going to play competitive football you have to have big, strong, healthy, well-conditioned players.  It isn't a huge secret to how to train in a way that is safe and effective.  Hire a strength coach from a decent high school football program, and you'll have an expert.

I got stronger powerlifting in my 40's then I did in my 20's & 30's. Always lifted by myself as others couldn't keep up with me.

I was recently reminded of wwe.com repeatedly referring referring to Miz as the Cleveland Screamer for some reason throughout 2011. A few examples:

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/2011-05-09/results

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/2011-05-16/results

http://www.wwe.com/shows/capitolpunishment/2011/riley-miz

I honestly have no idea how they got that past the radar.

Just saw a poster for a Ricky Steamboat show here in Toronto. Has anyone been to one before? I bet he has some good stories but I've never thought of him as being a big talker (although my experience with Steamboat is only through isolated matches from the 80's and that run with Jericho a few years ago).

21 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

So who's the third man? Please for the love of God don't be King. I'd take Sam Roberts over King. Ranallo isn't coming back to the main roster. Shit maybe the have it be R-Truth, I'd be ok with that.

I'd presume Otunga goes back, no?

I know there is no one real answer to the WWE injury thing, probably a combo of many things. One of the things I always thought of was that the average size of the WWE wrestler is bigger than anywhere else. Bigger dudes create bigger impacts and all that size creates way more stress on joints and tendons and ligaments and such. At he end of the day (which has been discussed in a few threads these last few days) it's just a dangerous profession. When I look at one of my all time favorites Arn Anderson and see that he had to retire early, that's a guy that worked one of the safest styles imaginable. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The only issue with that - besides Otunga being terrible - is technically it is three faces on the call.

Obviously Otunga could play the heel but still

It could be worse...they could bring up Percy Watson.

51 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Maybe they bring up Steve Corino from the Performance Center?

I'm on the fence about Corino.  He can be quite good and entertaining, but he also runs jokes into the GROUND.

11 hours ago, Web Conn said:

97 also had Tommy Dreamer (finally) pin Raven and that awesome angle where Jerry Lawler showed up.

More like "finally" pin Raven.  Dreamer pinned him on a house show match early on in their feud, but it was never acknowledged.