DVDVR Message Board

MLB - SEPT/OCT 2017

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

So The A's might actually really have a new ballpark sometime soon.

Here's to bringing back the iceplant, keeping (most of) the massive foul territory as a quirky home field advantage, and maybe making a short right field porch for this Matt Olson kid to whack dingers over (oh, and keep Matt Olson).

That's a big might. Still have to convince Peralta CCD to turn it over, which could be troublesome.  It seems like Mayor Schaaf has come around a little bit about being so adamant that it end up at the waterfront. Maybe the idea of a privately funded yard changed her tune.

I am all for the return of the ice plant. Short RF porch is not something I want to see anywhere. All the foul ground is a nice touch. I miss all the foul territory in Dodger Stadium. 

Edited by grilledcheese

5 hours ago, Greggulator said:

No one here is talking about your once and future king Rhys Hoskins? He is insane.

It looks like he's going to meet the threshold for a rookie (130 ABs), and honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if he won NL ROY over Bellinger, based on just how historic what he's doing is. Yes, it's still a small sample size in the bigger scheme of things, but...geez.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyle Casey said:

It looks like he's going to meet the threshold for a rookie (130 ABs), and honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if he won NL ROY over Bellinger, based on just how historic what he's doing is. Yes, it's still a small sample size in the bigger scheme of things, but...geez.

I don't think there is any way he wins the ROY. He might get a vote or two, but he's not going to eclipse Bellinger with what will be a 65 game season and somewhere right around 175 ABs if he plays every day from here on out. That being said, the kid is something else, man. He's a local boy for me, so I was aware of him in HS and  college, but I don't recall ever hearing about this kind of power. It will be interesting to see how the league adjusts to him next year.

And the Stros officially clinch the AL West

I am entertained that the Dodgers have 96 wins and still the best record in baseball and have a 9 game lead but have only clinched a playoff berth

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And the Stros officially clinch the AL West

I am entertained that the Dodgers have 96 wins and still the best record in baseball and have a 9 game lead but have only clinched a playoff berth

It's hella crazy, but that's what losing 16 of 17 will do for you. Magic number is now 4, so they could conceivably clinch it in Philly tomorrow if the Padres can step on AZ and LAD does their job. LAD up 2-0 after 1 inning in Philly right now with Kershaw on the hill, so we will see how that works out.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Tonight or tomorrow, the league will pass the all time HR's for a season mark.  The league is 17 HR's away from passing the record of 5693, set in 2000. 

Hitting 6000 is not out of the realm of possibility. There were 15 last night with a handful of games. 

Sorry, brother. But yeah, we have a mountain to climb, and I like the crop of young guys we have. Baby steps, hopefully they're super-sized. The old regime regarding deals was around way too goddamn long. This one seems level. 

It reminds me of 2003-4-5 to a degree. Like, we've got talent, and now we've just gotta let the seeds grow.