DVDVR Message Board

PWI 500 - 2017 EDITION

Omega

BREAKING NEWS - For the first time in the history of the publication, a Japanese wrestler will be #1 for the Pro Wrestling Illustrated Top 500 wrestlers.

And that wrestler is none other than current IWGP Champion Kazuchika Okada

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Omega said:

BREAKING NEWS - For the first time in the history of the publication, a Japanese wrestler will be #1 for the Pro Wrestling Illustrated Top 500 wrestlers.

This really shows none of the champions in WWE have broken out this year.

I still have a bug up my ass over RVD not getting #1 in 1999. Though in hindsight Austin did not lose any one on one matches cleanly, so I am probably wrong. 

3 hours ago, Omega said:

For some reason I thought Misawa was #1 at some point. Then I saw how weird the 1997 list was with Dean Malenko being #1 and Misawa being #2

7 hours ago, Victator said:

This really shows none of the champions in WWE have broken out this year.

I still have a bug up my ass over RVD not getting #1 in 1999. Though in hindsight Austin did not lose any one on one matches cleanly, so I am probably wrong. 

Or it could be that Okada was really that damn good.  I know it's PWI, but with the having stellar matches against the opponents he's had even with great WWE champions I wouldn't put them over Okada.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

PWI Top Ten... 

Hide contents

Kazuchika Okada

A.J. Styles

Kevin Owens

Roman Reigns

Kenny Omega

Shinsuke Nakamura

Dean Ambrose

Samoa Joe

Bobby Roode

The Miz 

Spoiler

The first time John Cena has not been in the top 10 since 2003!

34 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Or it could be that Okada was really that damn good.  I know it's PWI, but with the having stellar matches against the opponents he's had even with great WWE champions I wouldn't put them over Okada.

That would not matter to them. They prefer to have a WWE guy at number one.

In 2000 they openly expressed relief that Mike Awesome left ECW when he did so they would not have to put him at number one. 

I can think of someone missing from the top ten. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

PWI Top Ten... 

Hide contents

Kazuchika Okada

A.J. Styles

Kevin Owens

Roman Reigns

Kenny Omega

Shinsuke Nakamura

Dean Ambrose

Samoa Joe

Bobby Roode

The Miz 

Spoiler

DEAN FUCKING AMBROSE?!??!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, nate said:
  Reveal hidden contents

DEAN FUCKING AMBROSE?!??!

Holy fuck, even for a glorified popularity contest that's quite a stretch.  I'm struggling to think what he did that's worth being in the top 10.  The fact he's in it and not somebody like Naito is highly baffling.

Every time there's a PWI rankings thing, I always wind up missing the DVDVR 500. Although, I suppose the March Madness tournament has replaced it.

What if the DVDVR 500 were done like the various "Best of..." movies lists where rankings are based on what everyone else used for those rankings?

11 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Good question. I've always wondered that myself. 

I mean, let's say it's, I don't know, July 2016 to July 2017.

Suddenly Dean Ambrose is the last non-split (unified) World Champion and the #2 pick in the draft. In the time following, he won the IC belt and, just out of that period, the tag belts (thus becoming the 8th WWE-recognized grand slam champion ever).

Kayfabe wise, that's not so bad if you fudge the dates just a little.

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I mean, let's say it's, I don't know, July 2016 to July 2017.

Suddenly Dean Ambrose is the last non-split (unified) World Champion and the #2 pick in the draft. In the time following, he won the IC belt and, just out of that period, the tag belts (thus becoming the 8th WWE-recognized grand slam champion ever).

Kayfabe wise, that's not so bad if you fudge the dates just a little.

And he only lost the world title after being low-blowed by Styles.

I imagine part of the case is that, as Meltzer notes, Ambrose works the most dates pretty consistently, and gets a pretty good reaction in front of pretty much any audience, more or less regardless of what he's doing. Of course that's skirting kayfabe a little, but even keeping it "real", he's WWE's most reliable middle of the rotation arm, 200 innings a season, every season. (And yeah, he's won some things as well.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Every time there's a PWI rankings thing, I always wind up missing the DVDVR 500. Although, I suppose the March Madness tournament has replaced it.

What if the DVDVR 500 were done like the various "Best of..." movies lists where rankings are based on what everyone else used for those rankings?

Spoiler Alert....

I had started work on a DVD 500 of all time. I technically have 500 names in a list with half of the list based on the cumulative ballots of me, Dean and Schneider from GWE poll. Oh man would people have been infuriated...

It died on the vine (at least for the moment) due to Dean hating wrestling, me having a bunch of other projects that I don't have time for and I don't trust any of you fucks enough to bring into the project outside of maybe Matt

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

I imagine part of the case is that, as Meltzer notes, Ambrose works the most dates pretty consistently, and gets a pretty good reaction in front of pretty much any audience, more or less regardless of what he's doing. Of course that's skirting kayfabe a little, but even keeping it "real", there's a lot of value in a 200 inning a year arm, even if he doesn't get Cy Young votes. (And yeah, he's won some things as well.)

Some of it is that absolutely nothing matters anymore when it comes to WWE. Who even remembers that he won the War of the Shield last year? That was last year. The DRAFT was last year, just a year and a few months ago. 

EDIT: I'm about 3 weeks away from a new baby with one other kid starting kindergarten and the step son in high school with all of the imaginable teenager issues and I'm swamped at work and yeah, I am probably just stupid enough to agree to work on a project like that @RIPPA. So I mean, sure, DEAN can just keep on hating wrestling for a while longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

I imagine part of the case is that, as Meltzer notes, Ambrose works the most dates pretty consistently, and gets a pretty good reaction in front of pretty much any audience, more or less regardless of what he's doing. Of course that's skirting kayfabe a little, but even keeping it "real", he's WWE's most reliable middle of the rotation arm, 200 innings a season, every season. (And yeah, he's won some things as well.)

makes sense. judging by his clothesline it looks like he has a rubber arm. 

• Like 1