DVDVR Message Board

Which superhero film/TV are you most looking forward to in 2018?

The Natural

Which superhero film/TV are you most looking forward to in 2018?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which superhero film/TV are you most looking forward to in 2018?

• Black Panther (February)
    • X-Men: The New Mutants (April)
    • Avengers: Infinity War (May)
    • Deadpool 2 (June)
    • Ant-Man and the Wasp (July)
    • Silver and Black (August)
    • Venom (October)
    • X-Men: Dark Phoenix (November)
    • Spider-Man animated film with Miles Morales (December)
    • Aquaman (December)
    • TV

At smarkschoice I ask which superhero film you’re most interested in for the following year. This is the third year I’ve done it here and I don’t know what took me so long to bring it over. I placed TV in one category as I didn’t want to miss any out by name.

Here’s 2018 (listed by month on release via Wikipedia):

Black Panther (February)

X-Men: The New Mutants (April)

Avengers: Infinity War (May)

Deadpool 2 (June)

Ant-Man and the Wasp (July)

Silver and Black (August)

Venom (October)

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (November)

Spider-Man animated film with Miles Morales (December)

Aquaman (December)

TV

I’ve set a multiple choice vote. I’m expecting Avengers: Infinity War and Deadpool 2 to be the rightful top vote getters.

EDIT: This made for a fun challenge with the topic title, poll question and options not showing, you've to highlight them to see if correct.

Mine in order as of today though it might change with posters/trailers/clips:

1. Avengers: Infinity War.

2. Deadpool 2.

3. Black Panther

4. Ant-Man and the Wasp

5. X-Men: Dark Phoenix

6. Venom

7. TV

8. X-Men: The New Mutants

9. Silver and Black

10. Aquaman

11. Spider-Man animated film with Miles Morales.

Avengers: Infinity War marks the 10 year anniversary of Marvel Studios’ Marvel Cinematic Universe. Thanos’ plan comes together. This has big anticipation and can it deliver on them? The Russo Brothers are 2-0 with their MCU films, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Captain America: Civil War. Hopefully they take a hat-trick. More Avengers Assemble, less Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Deadpool 2 has to contend with expectations more than the original did. I wasn’t going to see Deadpool at the cinema but the marketing campaign and positive reviews meant I did and I’m glad. A very funny film, hopefully lightning can strike twice.

I liked Black Panther’s brief debut in Captain America: Civil War (2016) so be interesting to see a movie around him. Origin stories in comic books and comic book films are a favourite of mine.

Credit to Ant-Man turning out the way it did when Edgar Wright left over creative differences so Peyton Reed became the new director. I’d like Ant-Man and the Wasp to keep the heists angle going and the mentorship between Dr Hank Pym, Scott Lang and now Hope van Dyne. Interestingly this comes out after Avengers: Infinity War. It would be cool to see a film set before this and we get a “Events in this film takes place before Avengers: Infinity War” card.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix will hopefully do a better job than the original did with the story. One of the biggest comic book disappointments ever was Bryan Singer not finishing the original X-Men trilogy with the great job he did with X-Men and especially X2 instead going to Superman Returns. Fox mutants’ film has put out a few duffers but when they’re on, they’re really on. See X2, Logan and Deadpool.

I didn’t expect Sony Pictures to do a Venom film plus Silver and Black hoping instead they would leave Marvel Studios to writing the Spider-Man ship/fortunes as they have done but Sony Pictures has to do a Sony Pictures. Venom has my interest for the character and Tom Hardy playing him. Black Cat does little for me and Silver Sable nothing so I’m out for that one.

For TV, I watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Marvel Netfllix shows. I liked Gotham Season One for the most part but I wasn’t interested in carrying on when the second season debuted.

I’m guessing from X-Men: The New Mutants title will tell the tale of Professor Xavier’s newest mutant recruits?

Aquaman the character looks good from what we’ve seen of him. We’ll see how he turns out in Justice League.

I liked the announcement Spider-Man was getting an animated film hoping it would do justice to Peter Parker, this was before Captain America: Civil War and Spider-Man: Homecoming nailed him. I also liked the directors, Lord and Miller from the Lego Movie. My interest dropped when it was announced which Spider-Man it was. I like Miles Morales but I’d have preferred a different Spider lead in Peter, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Man 2099 and not happening ones in SpOck and Scarlet Spider, Ben Reilly and Kaine Parker. Hopefully alternate spiders will show.

1) Black Panther

2) Aquaman

3) Avengers Infinity War

4) Animated Spider-man

5) Deadpool 2

Then basically everything else. Probably Ant Man and Wasp at 6 but I'm so, so tired of Marvel formula films and I don't really have a ton of faith in Fox or Sony outside Fox's newfound ability to land movies that drop F bombs. It doesn't help that like...half of this hasn't even been cast outside key roles, so I have real concerns it's gonna be a bunch of fast tracked messes. We'll see though.

Really the only thing I'm PUMPED for is Black Panther. The gap from 1 to 2 is real wide.

Hearing Run the motherfuckin' Jewels in the Black Panther trailer got me really hyped for it, but I have doubts that movie stays as cool as I think it has the potential to be.

In the end, only one of these movies has the main villain throw a moon or planet at the heroes and that's my pick.

• Like 1

Infinity War is at the top of my list, with Deadpool 2 closely behind it. I'm weirdly excited for an R-rated Venom movie, especially with Carnage as the villain. Sign me the fuck up for that one.

I don't really care about the rest of the stuff, though. I mean, I'll watch the other Marvel movies eventually, namely the Ant-Man sequel because Paul Rudd is a national treasure. Black Panther... ehhhhhh. It looks cool, and I hope it's stylistically different from the other movies, so I'm holding out hope. But I don't know much about the character, so I'll be going in blind on that one.

I'm indifferent about X-Men: The Dark Phoenix, because they really didn't need to go down that route (again), but, hey - whatever. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are enough to keep me coming back and watching those Fox X-Men movies, even though Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique being one of the main focuses of the new franchise is really fuckin' weird and I hate it.

Silver Sable and Black Cat movie... I don't even know who they are honestly. I don't follow the comics like some of you guys, and it was only a passing interest of mine when I was a child. If they wanted to do a female superhero movie with Spider-Man characters, why not cash in on their newfound goodwill with that character and go for Spider-Gwen? Chalk that one up to something I don't care about. The animated Spider-Man movie... uh, okay, that's cool I guess?

As for DC.... I haven't actively gave a fuck about any DC characters since The Dark Knight Rises. When they hit the quality of the Nolan trilogy, someone let me know. Until then, it's pretty much a dumpster fire in my eyes.

8 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm weirdly excited for an R-rated Venom movie, especially with Carnage as the villain. Sign me the fuck up for that one.

I didn't realize Carnage was the villain. Now I'm hoping they rip off the plot from the last Carnage comic where Eddie and company hunt down Kasady. It had some good horror elements.

My #1 has to be Ant-Man and Wasp.  The first movie was fun if formulaic, I really like all the actors in the key roles, and it's my favorite corner of the comics MU.  They aren't doing the movie I would, but the movie I would make would have an audience of 10 people.  #2 is Black Panther, but if Valiant somehow gets their shit together and actually make that Quantum and Woody show with the Russo bros that might displace it. (Of course, until filming starts anything Valiant announces is worth less than nothing now that they have something like 17 projects in dev hell.)

• Like 1