DVDVR Message Board

WWE No Mercy 2017

The Natural

Newest WON

Vince McMahon came in with a very distinct vision, that this show and what would happen in the two key matches were not about now, or the day, but about telling the story of getting to WrestleMania, which is all about Lesnar and Reigns being the two superior guys in the company, and nobody else is on their level. Lesnar is being kept super strong so Reigns beating him means the most. Reigns is put over everyone clean so he’s the strongest challenger possible.

The idea was Cena would hit Reigns with every big move, over-and-over, and he couldn’t beat him, while Reigns would beat Cena with his usual stand-byes, the Superman punch and spear.

Similarly, Lesnar would survive multiple Strowman powerslams, and win clean with one F-5. He also wanted Lesnar vs. Strowman to be kept inside the ring (other than the one spot outside the ring involving the post, but nothing with tables and such), which kind of exposed Strowman, who got over on doing stunts outside the ring. The mentality, whether it’s right or not, was the short-term not so great match (I’m sure he was expecting a far better crowd response for the main event when he had the vision but going in it was going to be a short match with one F-5 as the finish) was the small picture and the big picture was both guys being as strong as possible for Mania.

It was said that Vince was very happy with both matches as he got what he wanted out of them, with the idea they promised two WrestleMania quality matches with his four top stars, and he gave them clean non-controversial finishes right in the middle of the ring.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Newest WON

It was said that Vince was very happy with both matches as he got what he wanted out of them, with the idea they promised two WrestleMania quality matches with his four top stars, and he gave them clean non-controversial finishes right in the middle of the ring.

3Mu3ics.gif

I've got tickets for the Rumble in Philly. There's either going to be a riot or complete silence when Roman wins the Rumble again. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I've got tickets for the Rumble in Philly. There's either going to be a riot or complete silence when Roman wins the Rumble again. 

Most likely they are just gonna have the Rumble winner be from SDL again. Which really helps when you figure it could be AJ, KO or Nakamura

Reigns could win Elimination Chamber to face Lesnar (assuming they make EC a RAW PPV next year)

On 9/25/2017 at 3:31 PM, JohnnyJ said:

Right. I'm making the larger point that Reigns does not need wins, he needs to be a compelling character to get to the next level. 

I'd actually argue that he just needs wins.  Hogan and Austin won all the time.  Even Cena.  I used to think Cena was the worst booked top guy with the company letting Triple H say shit like he couldn't wrestle and letting the negative crowd reactions get out of hand but they at least went all the way with him strong on top.  They were actually forcing you to feel him unlike the narrative with Reigns that he's being shoved down throats despite losing more than he's won in the past 3 years.

Reigns vs. Lesnar II shouldn't be thought of as some kind of crowning moment for Reigns.  It's a big match for people not so deep in the forest that they can't see the trees.  Reigns is on top of all the various metrics they use; YouTube views, merch sales, etc.  He's  headlined the past 3 WrestleManias.  The 3 highest grossing WrestleManias.  He's already the guy.

18 hours ago, BEN! said:

I'd actually argue that he just needs wins.  Hogan and Austin won all the time.  Even Cena.  I used to think Cena was the worst booked top guy with the company letting Triple H say shit like he couldn't wrestle and letting the negative crowd reactions get out of hand but they at least went all the way with him strong on top.

I'd argue that Cena lost way too much, honestly. I'm sure if you ran the numbers his winning percentage was nowhere near Hogan's or Austin's. They eventually had to have Brock absolutely squash Cena to make an impact, because just beating Cena meant nothing by that point. 

On 9/28/2017 at 9:15 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Newest WON

When he pushes this shit to Wrestlemania it's gonna be like his reaction to December to Dismember. Heyman probably has his cab already booked to leave early at the Superdome. 

Just watched the PPV and i thought the Reigns vs Cena match was good, Im glad Cena didnt go into indie dream match mode here. I  didnt like how Roman just hit his finish out of nowhere after the 2 AAs but thats the story Vince wanted here. The tag match was great too, both brands have been killing it with their title matches, I just wish they had invested in other teams credibility to keep the division strong. Everything  else was good too. The womens match was fine too because they kept Nia strong and looking like a monster the whole match. If the didnt follow the tag match I probably would think  higher  of this match.