DVDVR Message Board

NXT August 30, 2017

Greggulator

Great reboot at the first Full Sail shows after Takeover. 

I loved how this episode had this bookend with Adam Cole and gang jumping Sanity and ending it with another hit-and-run on Drew with Cole screaming "IT'S OUR NXT NOW!" That really sets them up nicely as sort of a nWo/Shield style group of opportunistic chaos agents. Regal hates them, but what choice is he going to have but to give them what they want -- title shots and the like well before they deserve such opportunities. And it was built around Drew's mission statement of being a fighting champion, Roddy stepping up and Bobby Roode leaving the territory as a heel should, by losing the feud ender to the family man he earlier humiliated (in a really strong match).

Great stuff and a perfect kick off to the next chapter of NXT. I hope Team ROH can hold on to the end of the bargain in the A-plot. They're in the right spot for it. Now it's up to them to deliver.

The Ruby vs. Peyton Royce match was also really good, with a great end to set up the HOW CAN RUBY BEAT TWO WOMEN??? story. They had whatever they're calling the Network's stuff on the Women's Revolution commercials on during this show. That really hit me watching this Ruby/Peyton match. Ruby/Peyton wasn't a classic by any means -- just a well-done match by two really good professional wrestlers, and something I'll probably forget about in a day or two. I'm now taking a quality match like Ruby/Peyton for granted.

Really liked this show too.  Glad they were able to close the Strong/Roode feud since I don't think WWE knew what they had until it was too late.  I hope they keep Team ROH regulated to short bits like this because I think that makes them bigger deals.  Kick ass and get out.

Guessing/hoping that the Ruby Riot-Iconic Duo angle is leading to the NXT debut of Dakota Kai.

The ROH guys were used well, but the "[insert pronoun] NXT!!!" stuff was stupid in the buildup to Drew-Roode and it's stupid now. I am NXT! You are NXT! We are NXT! It's our NXT now! Give it a rest.

Every time Mauro rolls out a phrase like "truculent opportunistic trio" when he's supposed to be selling excitement/shock, I understand JBL a little more.

• Haha 1

Ruby looked different. Was it her hair? She actually seemed more jacked and is starting to come across like a major-league star. She's the perfect look to market NXT as the youthful counter-culture to the sanitized WWE. 

The ID are pretty much near main-roster ready character-wise and Royce has improved a lot in-ring over the last six months. 

Main event was great and our temporary goodbye to Bobby Roode's Perfectly Technical Heel Lengthy Main Events for a little bit. 

NXT really feels re-charged now. Roddy is an interesting case because he's seemingly next babyface up but we have a babyface champion and there's guys like Black and, in a lot of ways, Gargano who should probably be positioned as the top babyfaces on the show over the next year. 

• Like 1

I'm still not sure how I feel about babyface Sanity and we're back to one legit heel tag team if the AoP move to the main roster. Enjoyed all of the matches, especially the main event. That was great and a fitting end to the Roode/Strong feud. Loving the RoH invasion stuff, but I do agree that the "THIS IS [INSERT YOUR, OUR, MY, HIS, or HER] NXT" stuff should be dialed back. 

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I think we're going to see if Roddy is any good as a character on his own or if he was a Bobby Roode creation. Hard to defend the honor of your family against someone not attacking your family. 

I try to avoid spoilers so I don't know if they play off of this or not, but I found it interesting that Strong seemingly made no attempt to save Drew during the beatdown.  What was he doing?

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

I try to avoid spoilers so I don't know if they play off of this or not, but I found it interesting that Strong seemingly made no attempt to save Drew during the beatdown.  What was he doing?

If the champion is getting beaten down and you're the next challenger, why would you help him? You want as much of an advantage as you can get. Maybe Roderick is part of the ROH invasion. It's pretty clear Nigel is based on his commentary, saying Adam Cole and ReDRagon are innocent until proven guilty. 

22 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If the champion is getting beaten down and you're the next challenger, why would you help him? You want as much of an advantage as you can get. Maybe Roderick is part of the ROH invasion. It's pretty clear Nigel is based on his commentary, saying Adam Cole and ReDRagon are innocent until proven guilty

Oh god, Fish & O'Reilly's NXT tag name is going to be #IUPG, isn't it.  

Royce is surprisingly strong, that dead-lift fisherman was great.

Great main event, PPV level stuff. Roddy could easily set up a heel if he loses the championship match and join the Team ROH... or Team ROH can use the fact that he was ex-ROH and distract Drew.

Kyle O'reilly looks so much better in a suit.

Saw this today.Royce/Ruby was Royce's best match in NXT so far. Liked the longer hair on Ruby. Hope she keeps it.

Heavy Machinery was fun. I like how the Cole/O'reilly/Fish are being used so far.

Drew is doing practically nothing for me character wise.

Need to rewatch it at some point, but I dug the hell out of Roddy/Roode.

I don't think this one was as good as the last Strong/Roode match, but it was damn good and puts a nice bow on what ended up being a great feud.

In retrospect, the two of them probably should've gotten a TakeOver main event instead of it going to Itami.

I wish when Roddy first jumped on Roode right at the top, he'd done it throwing fists the way he did a bit later.

As basically always in a Roode match we had some of the best and most clever spots in wrestling, and... Yeah this was good.

Adam Cole baybay!

For the last time in NXT...

#Glorious

• Like 2