DVDVR Message Board

Raw is John Cena Is Good At His Job - 8/28/2017

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

The plan is still for Reigns' coronation at WM beating Brock for the title. He's still the top guy and the thought is that losing makes Reigns look like an underdog or makes fans sympathetic to him.

It doesn't make him look like an underdog or sympathetic at all. The only chance to resuscitate Roman is the full-on Shield reunion. The whole breakup was botched in the first place. It should have been Roman in Rollins spot being the chosen one of the Authority.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

The plan is still for Reigns' coronation at WM beating Brock for the title. He's still the top guy and the thought is that losing makes Reigns look like an underdog or makes fans sympathetic to him.

They are in a weird position with Reigns. They want him to be top face but people at best hate him and at worst don't care. If he wins he will be shit on and since they refuse to turn him, that can't work.  So they have him lose in screwy ways. 

My belief right now is they are hoping the fans will turn on Cena and get in the habit of cheering Reigns. I think they are partially hoping Brock can make Braun a heel. 

But y'know hope in one hand and poop in the other. 

The freeze was at the start of Roman's long stretch, when he said there were two reasons fans boo John Cena "the first is you suck." *Scattered cheers, John mugs with Angle* "The second is..................."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

It is more apparent than ever that there is one route left to rehabilitating Roman's chances of ever being a top babyface. And they've already brought Ambrose and Rollins together, so I assumed that's where they were going.

NOPE!

They missed their chance to turn Roman into this heel that people would have paid money real money to see get his ass kicked a long time ago.  Roman has this smug look of entitlement to him when hes out there. All they have to do is have him embrace it. Ditch the stupid swat gear, he starts dressing in those suits he wears on tv for interviews and plays up how he's the jewel of the family dynasty.

Because secretly you know Vince is like "HES' NEVER LEAVING ME LIKE DWAYNE DID". 

Man, I don't care if it was good for business or not. That was awesome and the reaction to it is the most entertaining storyline in the last few weeks. Since Roman/Braun at least.  Whether it was scripted or not, seeing Roman's "trying not to tear up" face is the greatest thrill in the world. It's a genuine attraction to be rolled out every few months like Brock Lesnar.

It always starts the same, with a knowing smirk that says "Yeah, but you guys in the audience don't understand the business. I'm on the inside and you're all on the outside. You're all marks for making fun of me." But then the muscles tighten up and he's like "But I work so hard and I'm such a nice guy. Don't they realize this is my one chance in life. This really all could go away. I mean, it's not fun booing. They really hate me as a person. I don't understand why it's not working." And then comes that little bit of swelling under each eye and he's like "Shit get back on track. If you cry right now it's really all over, quick call someone a b word!" and then he starts moving his jaw like he's holding down his anger an not his tears.

Oh, God it's delicious...it's like little Reesies Piecies falling like raindrops into my mouth!

I think I understand the attraction of being a bully now.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

The freeze was at the start of Roman's long stretch, when he said there were two reasons fans boo John Cena "the first is you suck." *Scattered cheers, John mugs with Angle* "The second is..................."

homer-leaves-head-o.gif

Totally agree with the comparison between Roman and Cesaro but Roman doesn't have the cool power spots Cesaro has. Neither talks well but both are very good in the ring and both look great. One happens to have a full head of glorious hair and the other is Swiss though.

• Like 1

Im probably in the minorty here but I didn't think the pause in the promo was THAT bad and he pulled it together after and cut a pretty decent promo. 

However...

There's no match for fired up Cena and he made THE BIG DOG!!!!!! look like a frightened 2 week old puppy

• Like 1

Watching the full 15 (because nobody would give me a goddamn timer on the video -- though I'm glad I watching the whole thing now)

Reigns says Cena's a "yes man who can learn how to do anything and be anything"... and Reigns ain't. Woof. Two forks. Maybe the whole drawer. Vince really is done with him now, right?

I'm with piranesi too... did I see him sniffle at one point? And Angle corpsed, SEND FOR THE MAN

• Like 6

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/polls/who-do-you-think-won-the-war-of-words-between-john-cena-and-roman-reigns-on-raw

How fucking stupid is WWE? This all feels like Vince doubling down thinking that everyone else is wrong and Roman came out of the exchange looking good. So let's throw a poll up on the website asking fans who won it.

Spoiler, it's Cena 84, Roman 16.

So not only did they run a scripted segment that completely buried Roman, but they then decided to roll with an online poll that seals Roman's burial.

Roman can come out of this not looking like a giant pussy if he just says fuck it and gets himself DQ'ed for destroying Cena with a chair like Austin destroying the Rock at WM17. 

Then, Roman will finally get cheered for looking like the bad ass of The Shield instead of the Samoan John Cena Vince wanted.

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

homer-leaves-head-o.gif

Totally agree with the comparison between Roman and Cesaro but Roman doesn't have the cool power spots Cesaro has. Neither talks well but both are very good in the ring and both look great. One happens to have a full head of glorious hair and the other is Swiss though.

Funny you should mention them because I recently heard a Meltzer rant on the horrible scripted promos that kill guys. He mentions a video game press conference with Reigns and Cesaro where they were ad libbing cutting promos on each other and going back and forth. It was amazing how great they both were. But when they have to memorize awful bullshit promos they end up looking awful. The horrible scripted promos are the killer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Funny you should mention them because I recently heard a Meltzer rant on the horrible scripted promos that kill guys. He mentions a video game press conference with Reigns and Cesaro where they were ad libbing cutting promos on each other and going back and forth. It was amazing how great they both were. But when they have to memorize awful bullshit promos they end up looking awful. The horrible scripted promos are the killer.

Ding Ding. This. I've read plenty of people that say they loved this segment because it actually felt "real". And to this point, this company has spent the last 10 years reducing the show to buzzwords, marketing, corporate speak and dialogue that no actual human would ever say. They had a fucking hash tag match last night. So this becomes the only way to generate buzz and the only thing that's real is the actual real, business shit. Whatever.

I remember a quote from somebody way smarter than me, maybe from this board. "wrestling wasn't better when the audience treated it like it was real, wrestling was better when wrestling treated itself like it was real". Something like that, and that's the truth. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

"wrestling wasn't better when the audience treated it like it was real, wrestling was better when wrestling treated itself like it was real". Something like that, and that's the truth. 

Careful you might get a lecture about Kayfabe being dead and it being 2017.

11 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

Ding Ding. This. I've read plenty of people that say they loved this segment because it actually felt "real". And to this point, this company has spent the last 10 years reducing the show to buzzwords, marketing, corporate speak and dialogue that no actual human would ever say. They had a fucking hash tag match last night. So this becomes the only way to generate buzz and the only thing that's real is the actual real, business shit. Whatever.

People loved the Goldberg promo too.