DVDVR Message Board

Atlantis y Satanico vs. MS-1 y Tierra Viento y Fuego (9/22/89)

Phil Schneider

• 2 months later...

I like how the two on two tags on this set all seem to be gritty fights.  This was definitely that with lots of cool bits of brawling throughout.  I liked this but it wasn't really blowing me away til the third fall, and then boy did it blow me away.  The intensity goes up tenfold and tons of great stuff starts going down like Satanico hitting a senton off the rope, followed by getting laid out by Atlantis after MS1 dodges his tope; and TVF really starts leaking blood.  The finishing stretch here was downright epic.  In lucha, once a certain amount of time has gone by, something big had just happened and a hold is put on a certain way or a move is hit a certain way you kind of can tell that's then end; that sort of thing happens here like 8 times in a row but each time it isn't the end and they're really effective false finishes.  Once Atlantis finally submits TVF for the win the crowd really erupts and the post-match is great, TVF looks none too happy about being demasked and Satanico taunts MS1 with chunks of his newly cut hair.  Great stuff.

• 5 weeks later...

Good brawl with a great finishing stretch. tim really nailed it when he said the intensity really blows up after those dives. Satanico crawling back into the ring to counter the double sub on Atlantis was a great comeback and that's when the false finishes really began. I loved the space between eliminations as well. Still, this wasn't as great throughout as the tag with Dandy and Masakre from earlier on this disc.

• 3 weeks later...

We haven't seen Tierra Viento y Fuego (Earth Wind and Fire -- you're a shining star, buddy) yet. You would think maybe a blue/green/red colored outfit judging from the name but he's all yellow with red flames down the side of the singlet. It doesn't look much better than the alternative. Total rudo beatdown and dominance for the first fall. Satanico is pretty scrappy trying to fight back but it doesn't add up to much in his favor. Finally the tecnicos regroup but Satanico is covered in blood and there's this great moment with him slumped in the corner, exhausted, where Atlantis tries to tend to him and he jerks back with this startled gut reaction like someone is still trying to get him. Then the ref has to raise his arm for him. That is selling, that is pro wrestling motherfucker. Tercera caida and it's Satanico's Revenge with him still weary but ready to fight. Seems we miss when both rudos get busted open but Tierra's mask is a pool of blood. I don't think I can really do this fall justice with a write-up. Fuego loses his mask and he is PISSED. MS-1 looks like he wants to cut somebody. I want to watch this again right now.

• 11 months later...

This first fall is pretty one-sided, topped off by Atlantis pathetically sliding face-first through the ropes to the floor after being pinned.  I like how Atlantis and Satanico really had to fight for their dominant portion of the second fall.  It wasn't just an instantaneous burst of energy that leads to one team suddenly taking over.  It really went in fits and starts until Atlantis and Satanico got the pin/submission win in the second fall.  I wish I could have seen how Fuego came to be bleeding profusely in the third fall.  Fuego and Satanico both do a great job selling the blood loss at the end.  The third fall is indeed epic.  I loved Satanico's near splash onto MS-1, where he has second thoughts and just drops an elbow or leg from the apron to MS-1 on the floor.  Atlantis's second dive is pretty wild.  I couldn't tell whether he hit his partner, but I guess he did, which is pretty dramatic.  The submissions at the end are pretty amazing, including the gnarly double-submission Satanico gets caught in, only to be saved by Atlantis's double-dropkick, and Fuego's heroic fight of Atlantis's camel clutch.  The unmasking and head-shaving was great.  Fuego looked like he was about to cry, he was so mad.  Everyone was amazing, although Fuego was perhaps a notch below the other three.  Still, I had this as a top-15 match, although after Curt's verdict upon a rewatch, I think this could be top 10 pretty easily. 

If only this match didn't have that little clip between the 2nd & 3rd falls where we miss how the rudos got bloody. As it is, this is still fucking awesome. The first two falls are good but the 3rd fall is where this match just finds a whole other gear. There were so many false finishes in this, my favorite being Atlantis accidentally hitting Satanico with a dive and then Atlantis getting put in a double team submission and needing Satanico to save him. I liked how much they tried to make it look like the rudos could win because with the inclusion of MS-1's partner, Tierra Viento y Fuego, I have to assume even the crowd could see where this was going. I still kind of would have liked to have seen a mano a mano hair match between Satanico & MS-1 but I really can't complain when what we got is a match that might very well may make top 10.